DutchSkyCam

Tuesday At 5: Chilling Video From Skies Over Washington...

If I was in the neighborhood, I'd be tuning in.

The site's blurb is:

"Tuesday At 5: Chilling Video From Skies Over Washington
Tuesday at 5 on KIRO 7 Eyewitness News:

It's the deadliest skydiving operation in Washington.

KIRO Team 7 Investigators reveal behavior that puts more than parachute school students at risk.

Uncovering chilling video that's prompted a federal probe.

Tuesday at 5 on KIRO 7 Eyewitness News.

Complete Northwest News Coverage."

howedver, remember it's "sweeps" week, where you get the most sensationalistic stuff out there, blurb it as heavily as you can, and hope to draw the ratings. Ratings are important because it tends to set the amount of $$ you can charge for advertising, etc. So this may not actually be what it sounds like. OTOH, it may be, too.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Is someone going to watch this?

This sort of yellow journalism is why I don't approve of these "ratings whores" soliciting skydivers for video of skydiving mishaps. Those who gleefully respond are only causing harm to this great outdoor sport.

This sort of yellow journalism is why I don't approve of these "ratings whores" soliciting skydivers for video of skydiving mishaps. Those who gleefully respond are only causing harm to this great outdoor sport.

Or somebody could be running a genuinely dangerous dropzone. It's happened before, and some say that it's happening now in a certain mountainous state. The experienced jumpers might know enough to stay away, but that won't stop the students from rolling in. Being on the news might be what it takes to get one of these places shut down.

I'll wait to see the video before passing judgement.

Or somebody could be running a genuinely dangerous dropzone.

I saw one of these news shows that accused the railroad of operating a dangerous system because a teenager was killed by a "speeding locomotive!" Well, the train was going 27-mph, and somehow the teenager wasn't smart enough to avoid it. [Darwinism?].

I guess I'm just naive for giving the benefit of the doubt, then. Or maybe I'm just tired of the "skydivers can do no wrong" attitude that seems to pervade this sport.

Edit to add: That sounds like a troll. Sorry about that. I'm just frustrated that every time there is some conflict between skydivers and the world outside of the sport, it seems like knee-jerk reaction is to assume that the skydivers are right.

I'm just frustrated that every time there is some conflict between skydivers and the world outside of the sport, it seems like knee-jerk reaction is to assume that the skydivers are right.

You haven't been around long enough, Idyz. There are folks out there that actually believe we breathe through the pores in our skin during freefall...really!

I believe that shutting down any DZ is the wrong answer. I say we address the situation and correct it. If the problem persists, then put the DZ out of business and put the person responsible for the dangerous activity in jail for gross negligance to human life.

As for publicity....lets keep our family problems to ourselves and remedy the problem from within. We already have a bad enough reputation just because we jump out of airplanes. We don't need to make it worse by publisizing someone's stupidity!
Live today as tomorrow may not come

I'm just frustrated that every time there is some conflict between skydivers and the world outside of the sport, it seems like knee-jerk reaction is to assume that the skydivers are right.

Um, If my car was missing, and I found a skydiver driving it...and he said a purple monkey sold it to him...I'd buy him a beer and start looking for a purple monkey to beat the shit out of. Why? I have never been around a group of people whom I trust more. To quote "Full Metal Jacket" (loosely)..."Why don't you come on in and join the team for the big win?"

I'm sitting at my computer, drinking a beer, and I see that stupid KIRO 7 add on the TV. The add mentioned "dangerour skydiving" as a guy was coming in doing a swoop. Come on!

Maybe I'll change my home DZ after I see this add, or, better yet, just get out of skydiving. Odds are the people involved with the production have zero jumps, and from those people you always have to turn a critical eye to, no matter how much research they have done.

Uninformed people suck.

Perhaps it will be an informative piece and I will watch it with an open mind.

-Jump

I'm hoping they do a decent report, but I doubt it. I will be watching. I know that this dz has had problems with various 'neighbors'. So I'll wait to see the report before getting upset over this.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Can the USPA do anything under these circumstances? Probably not.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

There's a description over on Talkback; look for the thread about the prick.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Can the USPA do anything under these circumstances? Probably not.

If they are trying to shut it down for "safety" reason, then it can. If the feds are involved, the USPA would probably get involved. USPA keeps skydivers skydiving. Read section 1 of your SIM. If you have one.

I guess I'm just naive for giving the benefit of the doubt, then. Or maybe I'm just tired of the "skydivers can do no wrong" attitude that seems to pervade this sport.

Edit to add: That sounds like a troll. Sorry about that. I'm just frustrated that every time there is some conflict between skydivers and the world outside of the sport, it seems like knee-jerk reaction is to assume that the skydivers are right.

Us Skydivers wrong????? ;)

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --