candace

2006 World Free Fall Convention

I'm trying to get prices for the 2006 World Free Fall Convention but i'm having trouble doing so. i was wondering if any of you who have gone to this know aprox. prices.....i don't have my own gear yet & i don't know if they'll even rent gear out...? any idea on cheapest way to travel from CA to Illinois? & food costs daily? or how long to stay? i need help. :S thanks.

I'm trying to get prices for the 2006 World Free Fall Convention but i'm having trouble doing so. i was wondering if any of you who have gone to this know aprox. prices.....i don't have my own gear yet & i don't know if they'll even rent gear out...? any idea on cheapest way to travel from CA to Illinoise? & food costs daily? or how long to stay? i need help. :S thanks.

B|B|B|B|B|B|B|

ILLINOIS[/B]

B|B|B|B|B|B|B|
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

thanks....i looked on there already and i didn't get as much info as i wanted....so i was hoping someone whose done it could help out. maybe i missed reading something, but i still don't know if they will rent gear or what.....sucks when you don't have your own rig. [:/] but thanks for the help. :)

thanks....i looked on there already and i didn't get as much info as i wanted....so i was hoping someone whose done it could help out. maybe i missed reading something, but i still don't know if they will rent gear or what.....sucks when you don't have your own rig. [:/] but thanks for the help. :)

:)You'll pay for lift tickets in "regular" jump planes.. otters CASAs King Air pretty much "regular" price..
and you'll have to spend a bit more for "specialty" jump planes....heicopters, baloons etc... but those can be well worth it...
What are you doing for gear now??? Perhaps your local DZO might consider allowing you to take a rig with you... I dunno... Only DO beware that this is not a kiddies' playground.. there is much much much activity,,,LOTS of canopys in the air... lots of loads going Up... certainly , you can choose skydives more suited to your levels of ability and comfort... But it's Not."your normal everyday dropzone"...:|
The couple of times I went... were Just fantastic.B|;):)Still the WFFC staff do a great job of supplying all the amenities and comforts, which jumpers look for...
Lodging varies, from hotel rooms , to on site RV sites, to camping under the stars.... depends on your wants, and budget...:)jmy

I'm trying to get prices for the 2006 World Free Fall Convention but i'm having trouble doing so. i was wondering if any of you who have gone to this know aprox. prices.....i don't have my own gear yet & i don't know if they'll even rent gear out...? any idea on cheapest way to travel from CA to Illinoise? & food costs daily? or how long to stay? i need help. :S thanks.

Oakland to Chicago-Midway runs as low as $199 on SWA, then you figure out how to get the rest of the way.

Can't imagine food is any worse than LA.

Gear is perhaps the key issue to work out.

In the past your Registration Fee (Around $70) Covers all 10 days at the Convention, Free Camping on Site and Free Beer each night. A Great deal if you are staying all 10 days.
Alot of people only come for 3 or 4 days though and attendance has really dropped at the Convention the past couple years. Most people say it is because of the High Registration fee (It is $70 weather you are there 1 Day or 10 Days, Doesn’t matter).
There were rumors that they would be doing something different this year but I havent heard anything formal yet.

Daily Costs??
How many Jumps you want make??
Out of which Planes??
Most Planes (King Air, Casa, SKy Van, Pac750, Otters) are Regular price.. About what you would pay at your Home DZ.
Specialty Planes (Helicopters, Bi-Plane, Hot Air Balloons and any other Special Planes) will be higher ($50 to $400)

Food: Several Food vendors there including the Carbone Zone. Reasonably Priced Great Meals. Budget $30 a Day for Meals and eat like a King.

How long to Stay?? I have been the past two years and stayed 4 days each time. That was about right for me. My Liver could not have handled any longer.:P but many go for all 10 days each year.

There is no system in place to rent gear from. You may be able to talk to some of the vendors that will be there to see about working out deals from them, but in the case of walking up to manifest and asking for gear you are out of luck.

I'd advise getting gear before making the trip. You should be at least some what firmilar with the canopy you want to jump so you can have at least basic accuracy skills and are not creating a hazzard to yourself or others.

Be prepared, its typically like the wild west under canopy, you get lots of people that have the skill to swoop so they do right in the middle of the landings area and they are mixing with people as low as 50-100 jumps or others just trying to do straight in approaches.

I've been there in 2002,2003,2004 and will be there again this year. PM me if you have any questions.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Do a search for posts made by WFFC. This was my ID when I was involved with the online presence of the WFFC. As far as I know, there is no one actively managing the online presence anymore - there really hasn't been since we parted company last April. There are many good informative posts that can get many of the answers you'll need. The only thing that wouldn't be applicable would be the prices (if any) that you'll see in the posts.
------
Michael

ILLINOIS B|

The OP is a low-time jumper who has made 5 posts to DZ.com and is asking legitimate questions about the WFFC. The first reply she gets berates her for not spelling Illinois correctly and provides no useful information. Was that really necessary?

And people wonder why americans are being made fun of for being stupid...

They should know how to spell the states of the country they live in.

Sorry...just wanted to clear up the spelling as being from the state, it annoys the shit out me when people cannot spell it. And before you get your panties in a bunch about it, people correct people ALL the time on here. So get over it.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

ya..the whole gear thing just sucks for me. [:/][:/] the WFFC sounds soooooooooooooooo fun ;):) & amazing it'd be awesome as heck to go, but unfortunately i don't think this year will be my year.:([:/] majorly sucks, but i've been referred to the SkyFest at Skydive Spaceland in Texas. Suppose to be a lot cheaper & still offer a lot....heard of it?

I think if Renee wanted to be a 'know it all' she would have included punctuation in her critique.

As her post is written, it just looks like all the other posts on here when someone sees a pet peeve.

Welcome to an internet forum :D
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

And people wonder why americans are being made fun of for being stupid..

I've heard my international friends criticize Americans for being arrogant know-it-alls, but not for our spelling ability.

Wow I didnt realize that correcting the spelling of the state at which I came from made me a know-it-all. Cool...good to know.

Before this gets broke of into speakers corner as a discussion on how americans lack in the arena of education im done, and a PM was sent.
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

And people wonder why americans are being made fun of for being stupid..

I've heard my international friends criticize Americans for being arrogant know-it-alls, but not for our spelling ability.

Wow I didnt realize that correcting the spelling of the state at which I came from made me a know-it-all. Cool...good to know.

Before this gets broke of into speakers corner as a discussion on how americans lack in the arena of education im done, and a PM was sent.

deer goodnis......i wint bak and chainged itt sow evryone kan fal assleep 2niht :P:)B|

ya..the whole gear thing just sucks for me. [:/][:/] the WFFC sounds soooooooooooooooo fun ;):) & amazing it'd be awesome as heck to go, but unfortunately i don't think this year will be my year.:([:/] majorly sucks, but i've been referred to the SkyFest at Skydive Spaceland in Texas. Suppose to be a lot cheaper & still offer a lot....heard of it?

well, in truth, lots of boogies within California will give you all the beer you want, some specialty aircraft, and gear to rent. At the American Boogie in Davis (June), 'some' means a tailgate, an Otter, and a helicoptor. (The Pac is the usual plane).

Eloy in Arizona has a lot of this on any given day, including the ballons, I think.

WFFC has a lot of planes and people. But a lot of what you may want is available in state, and without gear, maybe that's a better option.

If you don't make WFFC but want to experience a boogie in God's Country (that would be Iowa, ref "Field of Dreams" Kevin Cosner) Give a look at Couch Freaks in Ft. Dodge, Iowa. Long weekend, lots of loads, Chick Pooper, polyester, and a Muni airport you can fly into and be already on the DZ.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Candace.

Keep in contact with me. I usually set up shop there, and bring a couple demo/rental rigs with me. Plus you can use me as a Cali-Home base. I'm an AFF-I and have been to the convention for many years. It's good to have someone there to help you sort through the madness, check in with and generally stay safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Hey Candace. Another boogie to consider is Summerfest at Skydive Chicago. It is truly awesome. There is gear to rent and food available along with camping and nice hot showers. The registraton in past years has been $30-$40 for the whole week and we generally get discounted jump tickets. There is free organizing for all levels of experience. You can check out the website or PM me if you want.

Good luck in your boogie search. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!