JohnElliott

Frontier Sky Divers MOST Expensive place to train

I like how you have the cars set up. It makes for a nice swoop lane...lol very nice landing area. but you need to do something with those ghastly high prices.:D:D
man seems like a nice place. your just missing a huge pond;)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Ok I'm gonna chime in once again as I think my dz comes closest to "not for profit" as one could get and yet, yes we sitll make money.;)

Here goes my $50,000.00 in college education on the line.

Our DZ is not for profit in the sense that we don't gain any revenue. Revenue however can be defined in a number of ways. For example, the cost of each skydive out of our 182 is somewhere around $20 per load on a .6 tack time, yet on a full load of skydivers we pay $64. That doesn't mean we just profitted $44. That extra $44 per load goes towards the aircraft maintance, insurance, upcoming maintanence like overhauls and 100 hours, training new pilots, gear etc.

We don't pay our instructors, manifest, secretary, webmaster, coaches, president, etc etc etc for anything. The only person who gets paid is the pilot, and that's minimal and close to nothing.

Not for profit means you're covering your costs and putting some away for a rainy day, like if we were to lose our aircraft etc. Everyone is in the business to make money, it's just how you use it. There would be no way we would ever operate at cost, and we all know that.

So with that said, I could only IMAGINE what the cost of running a turbin dz would be, and paying staff, gear, riggers, health benefits, vacation, airport fees, hanger space etc etc etc. I too am amazed dz's stay open when we're just barely skimming the edge at $16 to 10k after fuel and insurance increases, yet we still try to offer the cheapest price possible.

For example, we opted to NOT raise our jump prices after the current fuel increases and instead decided to try and increase our student thruput to help offset the cost of flying.

It's hard to figure all out, but hopefully I can give some insight from the not for proit dz explaining that we are for profit, we just don't pay out our revenue to anyone.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I made my first 2 AFF jumps at Frontier. The prices are pretty low, considering what you get. Keep in mind, at Frontier you jump from a twin otter, at 14,000 feet. Other drop zones may appear cheaper, until you realize that your $160 is going towards a 35 second freefall from a cessna, as opposed to your $180 going towards a 60 second freefall at frontier. My level 3 jump was from a cessna @ 10K, and there was barely enough time for all the maneuvers. Levels beyond that are going to take more than one jump to meet all the criteria, so keep that in mind. Static line might be cheaper, but I've been told it's not a good idea to learn that way anymore.

Also, I'd just like to emphasize that it really is a great place to be a student. Everybody makes you feel really welcome, and everybody there is just great. You also get great student equipment. So sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Hey Matt don't feel bad I got a bashing to after I PMed this guy. And when I tried to respond he had locked his PMs. Must be he doesn't want to hear what we have to say. I'd like to know where he thinks he's going with $1,000 to get an A license.

Jimmy! Do you think this guy would go through what we did to get that tuffit you have in the picture? I don't think so. I know I don't make a lot of jumps and am not around every weekend like a lot of you but, I do try to pull my weight when I can.

I've got about a cord of 2006 bonfire stacked up next to my house waiting to be delivered when spring comes.

Hey guys, nice barn!!

Ah cost.....the be all and end all of everything these days. Seems that the statement "if you don't like it change the channel or go somewhere else" doesn't apply to some fools these days. They have a degree so they know everything.

Reminds me of this guy who came to our model plane field one day stating that he was a "747 captain" and needed nill help with his rather expensive model. There were a large number of people more than willing (and experienced) to help him but he refused and he just did his own thing.

We tried not to laugh too hard when he rolled his big expensive model inverted on takeoff and turned it back into kit form.

I have nothing against pilots by the way - I was one before I started skydiving.

What I DON'T LIKE is the attitude of these WANKERS that seem to surround us like unwanted smelly poo in most aspects of life.

The posts and comments of most if not all of the jumpers above say enough without having to say much more.

PS- I have yet to meet a DZ that was swimming in money, nor an owner of same.

BSBD! -Mark.

PPS- If you want to jump for 1,000 I can do that for you!! Strange country, homemade parachute, slingshot etc etc LMFAO!

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

well put jumpinfarmer...:)you know whereof you speak...

I thought of taking the high road and "inviting' this guy to visit and get a REAL sense of what frontier is about...
But then thought better of it, when i realized how hard it would be to
have to resist. " smacking him upside his head " ..... Instead I am tempted to reinitiate a thought of mine from years ago, to replace the 4 x 8 sign out front
which says, " public welcome "
...It should read. "This is private property. Members, their Guests, Visiting experienced Licensed Skydivers, ( who already have learned how to place nicely with others, ) and Pre-registered First Jump Students ONLY.
All Others. may continue up the road, make a left onto Nelson Rd. and Watch from your CAR"...
Damn.....wintertime seems to bring out the BEAR in me.....( when i'm actually just a real sweetie!!!!):o:P:$B|;):)

this post really starts u out on the wrong foot--it appears u have neither brains nor money--have u considered bowling? it requires neither--

MUFF #3384, DIRTY SANCHEZ #28(Chief Recruiting Officer), FALLING GATOR #7801-A, POPS #10957, FLYING HELLFISH #847, HISPAS #79, SRA #9229, Surfador Rodrigues

Hmmmm....you have a business degree, commercial pilots license, you seem to be a self-proclaimed entrepreneur, you know the ins and outs of thrill activities, and are currently studying medicine. That's a hell of a resume. If this is all true then you are very "book" smart person but you seem to be lacking a little common sense.

Common sense tells me not to piss in the drinking well.

Common sense tells me to do unto others as I wish they do unto me.

Common sense tells me to not ask advice from people and then insult all those that give it for in the future when I require more advice it may no longer be given.

Common sense tells me to be respectful and courteous to all those who preceed me because they HAVE been there and done that.

Common sense tells me that if you have 3 different careers with degrees at least one of them should generate an income.

I teach people how to ride motorcycles year round and how to snowboard in the winter. I've seen many people come and go with an attitude like yours. All extreme sports are dangerous and because of this the people who are in the sport a long time don't seem to have the same amount of patience with people like you. The thrill and fun aspect may be what entices you to join a sport such as this but it's the friendships and comradery that keeps you coming back year after year. Do yourself a favor and drop the crummy attitude, it really will get you nowhere.

All right, I'm all for people bowling, but I know a few people that can't afford it and think it takes a little bit of brains to do well. I had a kid almost take me out in the lane next to me by throwing the ball into the bottom of my foot right after I bowled. I thought it'd be embarrassing if I femured bowling so I had to ask him to wait until I cleared the lane. I've seen balls go backwards, last night a friend of mine threw the ball into the sweep and it came back towards us pretty quick.

Sometimes we bowl more than 14 games a night, plus food and beer and billiards it gets pretty expensive. Often I'm contemplating the best way to approach a split such as a 3-9-10, or one of the other 1,023 possible spares. Such things as lane oil level, surface, fatigue, BAC, focus, and distractions such as cosmic bowling keep you thinking and trying to maintain focus on your game.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

Well said Jimmy. Now, I'm not one for bashing, unless you FRIGIN EARNED IT!!!!

I stuck my hand out and told him to PM me and I would talk with the DZO at Erie Skydivers if he has gotten any emails from him. And, what I could do if anything to expedite his request. Well, he has never PM'd me and asked me anything.

So, I call the DZO's better half today. Seems he has emailed them constantly. Well over 50 emails since this all began. They have emailed him back, attempted to answer his questions, and even gave him the contact phone number to call them if he would like to schedule a class.

Well he sends them an email (from what I can tell from what was read to me) demanding that he be scheduled for a specific date, and time, and that he had better dammed well get his money's worth. And that he has allready sent them a check in the mail demanding a reserved spot for that specific date.

I was told that there was a snail mail received and that he didn't even put the required amount on the check to reserve a spot. But, what makes it even better is that they have now just decided to ignore him as we all should.

They honestly hope that he showes up on the exact date that he has requested, and time as well. So that they can personally give him his check back, and politely ask him to leave.

Moderaters, isn't there a way to ban him?? I know that the owner of the dropzone has saved all the emails that he keeps sending them. And, they have given me permission, if you request it, to give you ( any moderator) their home number if you want to verify this.

So Jimmy...wow dude...lets just say we have been all a little over cautious and now can See ya all at Batavia!!!!

Mark

edited for personal attacks
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Sometimes we bowl more than 14 games a night, plus food and beer and billiards it gets pretty expensive.

whoa, ironman. My most embarassing injury in my sporting life was when I did a league thing with my group at Genentech and starting developing a carpal tunnel like problem on the right hand. That was only ~4 games, a day a week. (solved by getting my own ball, a 14 with my hand size)

Moderaters, isn't there a way to ban him??

No, he has not broken any of the forum rules. However, I can not say the same about you. I just had to edit your post for personal attacks against him. Now I'm forced to give you a warning about following the rules.

Please remember people...as much as you don't like someone or agree with his posts, you may not call them names.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I was told that there was a snail mail received and that he didn't even put the required amount on the check to reserve a spot. But, what makes it even better is that they have now just decided to ignore him as we all should

OMG.....so this guy is for real :S
I was certain it was a troll.
I heard this saying one time but I really was not sure what it meant ""kill em all and let god sort em out""
I dont know why this comes to mind right now, it must be that retarded skydiving mind of mine :)
<>
Tami

Yes he is. And, a friend of mine sent me a profile that he has posted on a dating web site. Guess what...same photo. Plus a few others. I'm waiting for him to get back to me to make sure it is ok to use the link. It is sorta funny. In a funny sorta way. Hahahahahah..
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

I've had a few sports injuries more serious and embarrassing than my bowling ones :S. Good form and a ball that fits you are important. Plus work your way up to bowling a lot. I've got a few big callous' on my right hand, I used to bleed often after a long night of bowling. I huck a 16 pounder since 17's aren't allowed B|.

Yes, this person is for "real" as you would put it. For those brave enough to want to take a peak, here is a profile of this gentleman as it was given to me by a friend, who just "googled" it. Public knowledge. I do like to share information. http://www.plentyoffish.com/member1238926.htm
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

JohnElliott
Personal Information
Email: No email entered.
Jump Profile
Home DZ: No home dropzone entered.
Gear
Container: No container entered.
Main Canopy: No main entered.
Reserve Canopy: No reserve entered.
AAD: No AAD entered.
Forum Activity
(User cannot receive private messages)

I think Johnny Boy is a lonely person seeking attention.:P You know living under a bridge get old.:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I am new to the sport myself but common sense has told me that if I want to continue to do this it is not going to be cheap. One thing the originator of this thread is not realizing is that the money you spend to do this is a choice. If you choose to spend the money, then you have it to spend. Some of us, myself included, may not have the money at times but will do it anyway. Skydiving is a want to do issue, not a must do. I know it sounds ludicrous for me to say that but we all know you choose to gear up and get in that plane. So for the originator this is my advice to you; find a new sport to partake in.

As for those of you at Frontier, after seeing the photos of your facility and your staff I may just have to come visit after I get my A license.