JohnElliott

Looking For Buffalo area instructor for Class A training for about $1,000 (everything included)

Wow, I cannot believe the level of hostility and stupidity from some members here.

Hey, guy, you know what? - we were all wrong about you. I'm sure anyone in Upstate New York would be thrilled to jump with you, anytime. Give you a 60% break on gear & jumps, too. Buy all your beer, to boot. So would anyone else in NY State, PA, Ohio or Ontario who's been reading your threads. I mean, so what if you call the people you'd be jumping with stupid, dangerous, drug-taking and mind-damaged? We love you, man.
:S

I am currently studying medicine

And I'm sure your bedside manner's to die for.

I can say from observing some of the replies to my post that some skydivers take mind altering drugs, or there minds are just a little damaged.

Is that a surprise? If you find a DZ willing to accept your money, you'll fit into one or both of those categories within a couple years... :P

Dave

I also know of 2 other clubs with a similar price to Kansas around Buffalo NY (1.5 - 8 hour drive).

8 hours qualifies as "around?" Spending $50 (or much more) one way on gas over the course of 25 jumps (plus motel) could easily pass $1000 all by itself. Many people average 2 jumps or less per day, as determined by them and the weather.

I have done my homework on the sport, jumped different places, I am a pilot, and know the equipment mark up is more than 10x, have degrees in business and finance, have real life experience.

PLEASE do NOT make comments about something you know NOTHING of...!

There is alot of PROFIT in sport activities, it ia a multi billion dollar industry.

I don't know where you did your "research" but if you believe markups in this industry are 10x, you are seriously deluded. I have a hard time believing even the mega-dropzones are making anything near multi billions as well.

My advice is to start a gear store and get in on those billions. You are in for a rude awakening if you do.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Thank You the man from Kansas. I do believe most skydivers have more money than brains as our man from Kansas has proved. I have done my homework on the sport, jumped different places, I am a pilot, and know the equipment mark up is more than 10x, have degrees in business and finance, have real life experience. Please understand "non-profit" status is ONLY used to AVOID TAXATION. This term is NOT a true reflection upon the economic activity of an organization. PLEASE do NOT make comments about something you know NOTHING of...!
There is alot of PROFIT in sport activities, it ia a multi billion dollar industry.

I wasn't really gonna jump in but....

how many "different places" have you jumped with your 2 jumps?

with those degrees in business and finance and experience and evidently more brains than the rest of us, why haven't you done well enough to have saved enough that the cost of the sport isn't such a major issue?

A (probably large) number of people here are members of non-profit clubs and are aware of the accounts. In my VERY LIMITED experience the non-profit clubs may have to charge more because they don't run tandem mills that help pay the bills.

So, a pilot, those degrees and now you're studying medicine? The drugs post did make me wonder if this isn't a troll :S
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

So, a pilot, those degrees and now you're studying medicine? The drugs post did make me wonder if this isn't a troll :S

I was wondering if it was a troll but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt - up until now.

Pilot license, degrees in finance and NOW he studies medicine with that kind of attitude and disregard for common sense? Yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Probably top of the class too! :D

Edited: Yep. Matt got confirmation in the other tread that that guy is a troll. I think the moderators should close this thread now. Entertainment over. :)

Have you checked out this website?
It says they have a location close by you.

http://www.skyride.com

Here's how you pay for skydiving:
Sell your
house
car
kids
wife
girlfriend
mistress
friends
blood
kidney
liver
all your worldly possessions
cash in your insurance, retirement, stocks, bonds
max out all credit

This should cover the first few months.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

You guys are real stone throwers. I have requested ALL my posts be removed from this web site due to member abuse. I will never post again on this site.

*A special thank you to all those whom respectfully replied to all my posts in supporting the furtherance of knowledge and awhereness of sky diving.

I don't think anyone is responding to your posts as a personal attack to you, but if you read the '10x markup' post critically you could probably understand why it is abrasive to the other posters on this site.

I really don't think that PD can make a SabreII for less than $160.

I recently bought a container, and I've really come to appreciate where the cost comes from. Development, testing, HAND MADE craftsmanship - all right here in the USA. You can't beat that kind of piece of mind.

Call or email Bill Booth at RWS and he will probably be glad to explain to you how a 10x markup is not possible.

As for saying that 'Skydivers have more money than brains,' for me its not about finding the best deal. Hell, if I was a thrifty person when it came to skydiving there's no way in hell that I'd still be in it! I jump because I love the flying and the people... I won't drive 8 hours for a 4 dollar cheaper jump ticket but I'll drive it for a sunset dive w/ my friends.

Just some food for thought.
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

You guys are real stone throwers.

Really? I thought we were stupid, dangerous, drug-taking and mind-damaged. Make up your mind.

I have requested ALL my posts be removed from this web site due to member abuse. I will never post again on this site.

Aw, crap, now we've gone and done it.

supporting the furtherance of knowledge and awhereness of sky diving.

did you expect warn welcomes when you open with 'you guys are dumbasses getting ripped off by these greedy lying non profits?' Just imagine if you had asked instead - why so expensive?

It's a tit for tat mentality here. People are friendly till you try to crap on them. Then you'll find many are very well armed.

*A special thank you to all those whom respectfully replied to all my posts in supporting the furtherance of knowledge and awhereness of sky diving.

You got some respectful replies despite being disrespectful. You chose to ignore them anyway.

You seem to have a better understanding of how this business works, as an outsider than those who have been in it for a while.

If you plan to take that kind of attitude into your student training, I hope that you do not find a dropzone that meets your financial requirements. Because with that approach to learning, you will be a danger to yourself and others.

I guess that you could buy a cheap rig on ebay and hire your own pilot to fly you to altitude.

There really aren't any rules that require that you have an instructor as long as the pilot files the NOTAM and you have permission from the land owner where you intend to land. Just go for it.

It's really simple, just pull the little cord thingy. You are obviously a very intelligent person who is certainly capable of learning on your own. Read the A license requirements on the USPA web site. You should be able to figure out how to complete all of the tasks necessary for the A License. Even us stupid skydivers can do it, so a soon to be doctor and a pilot like yourself really wouldn't have any problem. You already seem to have it figured out with all of your research.

For all you good guys out there, please excuse my bad replies. I am only trying to defend myself from the numerous ABUSIVE MEMBERS.

Missunderstanding is a very dangerous thing... unfortunately many people have very little tact when they speak... that or they are merely not in the mood to "sugar coat" things. Which is their choice.

The unfortunate truth is that the sport of skydiving is quite expensive. Those of us that chose to participate make sacrifices in other areas of our lives in order to do so.

There are many people on here with less jumps then they would like to have because they are students/or otherwise can't afford it and there's nothing wrong with that... the Sky will still be there when they're ready to go back.

Edited to add: for what its worth... I don't do any drugs... and almost never drink... and although I am a bit nuts... I kind of take offense to this statement... :P

skydivers take mind altering drugs, or there minds are just a little damaged.

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Everyone is just being nasty cos John Elliot caught us all out, we're all a bunch of backward retards who couldn't get further than sixth grade! We must therefore all be dealing in drugs as there is no other way we could afford the sport. (Movie plotline, anyone?) :P
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I am only trying to defend myself from the numerous ABUSIVE MEMBERS.

I will admit that we do have a bunch of smart-asses on here, but no one has broken the forum rules by abusing you or personally attacking you. The thread would have been locked before this.

You came on here putting down a dropzone where we have friends who jump there and who call it home. You want to be as cheap as possible and indicate to us that we are idiots for paying the prices that we do. Your main concern is money, not safety. If you would have approached the forums in a friendly manner, I'm confident that you would have gotten much better responses to your questions. You were rude...you reap what you sow.

Next time, instead of barging into the party and making a spectacle of yourself, try hanging around for a bit and getting the feel for the place before you open your mouth.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon