andy2

glasses?

What do you all that need to wear glasses for seeing do when jumping? I am thinking about purchasing contacts just for this reason. I don't like the idea of having glasses on and have just one more thing go wrong (i.e. them slipping off while in freefall, fogging up, etc). Of course, I would have to wait and get used to wearing the contacts, but other than that is that the only way I can jump with good vision?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I have the choice of two helmets, a Protec and a Z-1 fullface- with the Protec, I'll wear my glasses with a pair of over-the-glasses goggles, Kroops manufactured-- and my glasses fit up snugly under my Z-1's faceplate, no problem there-- However, I wear bifocals, which cause perception problems of their own, so I normally jump without the dadblamed things to begin with....;)

Brokeneagle.

I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says... he is giving me a reputation I do not deserve!

How large are your glasses? I no longer wear them but when I did I used regular sized Flex Z goggles and on my last pair, I was able to even use the min flex z goggles. It's not a big deal to have glasses and skydive.

Anyone else?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I went to contacts for this very reason. It took me one day to get used to the contacts, not a real problem at all. I wear daily wear which means I throw them away after one use, they are very thin I can hardly tell they're there.

I actually bought a pair of those inexpensive goggles you see in Skydiving amd Parachutist. There not bad. They come in prescription flavors and are reletively cheap. About $70, I think. So if I loose em it's not a huge expense. I also used those oversized goggles over my glasses. That worked ok, but they almost came off once. Sooo.....

pg 71 of this months Parachutist
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

I use contacts and have not had any problems with them. I use Prowler Googles. If you don't want to wear contacts, getting them with perscription would be a good alternative.

http://www.athleticoptics.com/default.asp?Action=GetSports&MfgrID=48

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I used to have soft contact lenses. I had a rather large cylinder in both eyes (is that the same word in english??). So those lenses did not only had to stay put but also not stick too much because they had to stay the right side up. Hmmm... Didn't always work.

Got scared once when my Z1 visor blew open. Closed my eyes almost completely to avoid losing my contacts.

Also I always had to wear my goggle when boarding if the engine was already running. Or when I was sitting close to an open door in flight.

But, last year I got Lasik, never been happier....

ciel bleu,
Saskia

laser eye surgery seems way out of my price range. I'm leaning toward wearing a full faced helmet, so unless my visor blows open, I won't have to worry about the contact coming off in the wind. Now all I have to worry about is paying for the contact lense fitting appointment, and not to mention paying for the damn things! I'm broke!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I had a hard time finding a pair of frames that would fit under my Z-1 visor. After trying on about 15 pair, I finally found some that would fit. Contacts may be a good option. I have a friend who jumps the sport RX goggles under his Z-1, but he tried several models to find one that would fit.....Steve1

Andy I wore glasses for 25 or more years after my first tandem I decided to get my first pair of contacts simply because it was less cumbersome(I had large frames) I now wear contacts which can have their own problems but seem to be easier to deal with.I also take my glasses and a spare set of lenses(I too use those daily wear throw away contacts)I have made only 6 jumps with them but no troubles as of yet I just make sure goggles are good and tight.

Later Don

Over the last 26 years of jumping I have worn a variety of glasses and contacts. In the end I have three recommendations.
First, buy the smallest pair of regular prescription glasses you can find with spring-loaded frames. Smaller "street" glasses will fit under regular Kroop, Grateful Fred, etc. skydiving goggles.
Avoid the large over-the-glasses goggles as they have an annoying habit of blowing off.
Second, buy a pair of racketball or basketball glasses with prescription lenses. These tough frames will survive the world's clumbsiest student slamming your head into the door frame.
Finally, contact lenses work great as long as your regular Kroop, etc. goggles fit snug.
If I had the money, I would go for laser eye surgery.

I have astygmatism, and while contacts worked for me, I couldn't have, say, gone headdown wearing them as the lenses would have inverted and the world would have gone all fuzzy.

So I bought new glasses - the ones with the springy frames that attach directly to the lenses. They're ideal. They fit under standard goggles and just press in closer without any discomfort if I tighten the goggles.

Only difficulty would be if you took them off to clean after putting your helmet on. They tend to flex too much to get them on while wearing a helmet.

Also, I remove my goggles for the landing, so the glasses are the right distance from my eyes - you need to do that carefully so as not to pull the glasses off too.

Someone mentioned prescription goggles - there are some motorcycle ones around that look ideal - just make sure they have holes for pressurise equalisation, I'm told. But depending on your vision you might have to wear these goggles in the 'plane which can be hot and unpleasant, or can result in them fogging up.

Finally, contact lenses work great as long as your regular Kroop, etc. goggles fit snug.

Snug being the operative word. I tried a few pairs of goggles with contacts - any with vents that are too large cause trouble and I've had a contact flip out a few times. This is most disconcerting.

I currently wear the cheap and cheerful Flexvision goggles with the friction grip on the strap. Which came undone twice in Arizona for the first time in 100 jumps. Maybe it's the dryness. I discovered I actually land quite well with one contact :P
Yeah, and they _will_ fog up in the plane but hey, life is hard. I must try a full face helmet one of these days.

just make sure they have holes for pressurise equalisation

That part works great for all other positions of flying except face down. :S

I bought a pair of precription goggles that have tiny vent holes to help from fogging up (etc) but HAD to tape them all up when I found that flying RW video (from over the top) made my eyes water so bad that I couldn't see.

I tried taping only 1/2 of the holes up, but that didn't help. They all had to go. Now I have to wait until just before jump run to pull my goggles down into place, otherwise they -do- fog up and have to be cleared repeatedly.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I wear glasses.

I've got a strap to hold them on, and I wear over-goggles on top too.

I haven't had much trouble with my eyes watering, but I've probably been concentrating so much that I haven't noticed...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Andy - i jumped with both Glasses and Contact lenses. Jumping with glasses is not problem. I have a pair of over glasses googles - These are exactly the same as normal googles just a bit larger to accomate your googles. My googles have vere come off in FF but my cousin (who also jumps with galsses) have and dispite a complete lack of tape/anything else they stayued firmly in place.

With contact lenses there is always a possibility of a lense drying up - and falling out - this happened to me recently. Apart from having a bit more difficulty reading my alti I didn'yt have any problems. Although I did take my landing pattern very gentle as I wasn't sure how my perspictive of distance had been affected.
----------
Ben G
Still Sinking :-(

What about something like Factory Diver? My instructor jumps that helmet and I think the visor cannot open on it. At least it's not flip up. Also, the Boomerang is also of that design.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

I wear glasses with my Factory Diver, and I even freefly with it. I've never had a problem yet in 250 jumps.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Just spent $210.95 on a new pair off just for Skydiving eyes.For the longest time I,ve worn the ugly sports goggles under my Kroops.Have a spare pair,but my prescription needed changing.When you think you are at 6,500 and are really at 5,500 it,s time for new eyes.Have never worn contact lenses.Have never been able to afford the corrective surgery.So,new rap around goggles it will be for me Mon. or Tues.(I hope)Missed another beautiful weekend of jumping(Damn).