chj

Injuries and Health Consequences of Skydiving

Hi everyone, I'm a med student from Miami with about 800 jumps. I'm doing a presentation in a few weeks about medical repercussions from skydiving: what type of injuries are associated with it, what should doctors look our for, and the long term health consequences (hearing loss, back pain, etc.) Do any of you out there know of any medical statistics or research on health and skydiving? Any help would be great!

Thanks,

-Chris Jacobus, D-23706

Try posing your question to organizations like: USPA, CSPA, BPA, APF, etc. They will have partial statistics on injuries.
Dr. Schlictemeir (sp?) gave an excellent presentation on the medical aspects of skydiving at PIA Symposium 2003.
The other option is to ask POPS for anecdotal information on injuries.
I cold give you a pageful from my personal experiences!

and the long term health consequences (hearing loss, back pain, etc.) Do any of you out there know of any medical statistics or research on health and skydiving? Any help would be great!

Thanks,

-Chris Jacobus, D-23706

One of the biggest health risks associated with the
sport today is AIDs...Altitude Induced Divorce.

...mike;)
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

I'd like to see if there are any mental health effects.

Can people actually be addicted to adrenaline?
Is skydiving withdrawal physical or mental?
Is one of the long term effects of skydiving a shorter attention span?

I believe that before I took up skydiving I could be a pretty focused guy, but now only five years later I find it very difficult to pay attention at work. I find most of it trivial with few real life or death outcomes and therefore not really worth paying too much attention to.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

[Can people actually be addicted to adrenaline?
reply]

I've read some studies that suggest that some people who have grown up in very dysfunctional home are sometimes drawn to pursuits and professions that are considered highly dangerous. The reasoning for this is that they grew up in an environment that was very nerve wracking, adrenaline and tension filled, and this is what they are used to. Unconsciously they may seek out another environment that is similiar, such as a dangerous sport, dysfunctional spouse, or hazardous job.

I've heard of other research that suggests that this may be a biological thing. It says that some people have such a low stress arousal level, that they may seek out activities that make them feel more alive.

I'm sure their are other psychological explanations. This is an interesting topic. Does anyone else have any input on this?.....Steve1

I don't think you can be adrenaline addicted, otherwise, if you didn't jump regularly you'd be having seizures and mouth-frothing, etc :P, but, it could be biological, or mental or perhaps psychological, in my case, I have a PhD in stress, due to my job and skydiving (even tho' I'm new to the sport) helps me relax, not to mention, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY LINE OF WORK.

Also, your personality will have part in this, if you are an adventure seeker and you are not the 'physical type' (lifting weights, work out, etc) but you need some exercise AND mental activity, I believe, skydiving is the right sport for you.

My humble opinion.

I'd like to see some studies about skydiving and post trauma syndroms after cutaways/near accidents.

Kind of funny how after an airliner near accident, people need lots of therapy to work throug the experience while skydivers, after beeing just seconds away from sure death justs thinks..."damn...now i need a repack and a new cutaway pillow..." :o

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Another biological fact that you may find interesting is that most skydivers, or people that participate in seemingly dangerous activities like mountain climbing, drag racing, base jumping etc.... tend to have low mao levels. This is a chemical regulator in your brain. Low mao levels are also common in criminals and abusive people, but they are also common to inventors, entrepreneurs, and very successful business people. It would be interesting if there was some kind of mao booster that could be given and if someone actually lost the urge to jump because of it. I personally doubt it would cause a skydiver to quit, but it might inhibit someone from trying it for the first time.

I did a paper on this once for a physiological psych class. One component of skydiving that's kinda scary is that when we skydive, our brains release a neurotransmitter called Dopamine-4, which sends our brain a "chemical reinforcement" message, telling our brain that we really like the experience and to keep it up. Scary part: this is the same transmitter responsible for the reinforcement addiction seen in long-time cocaine addicts. The drug itself is addictive, but the reinforcement it provides via Dopamine-4 is the real killer as far as kicking the habit goes.
So many of us are totally addicited to this sport and it becomes all consuming (myself included). I guess if we weren't skydiving, we might all be coke heads :)...

selective snipping

Another biological fact that you may find interesting is that most skydivers, or people that participate in seemingly dangerous activities like mountain climbing, drag racing, base jumping etc.... tend to have low mao levels. This is a chemical regulator in your brain. Low mao levels are also common in criminals and abusive people, but they are also common to inventors, entrepreneurs, and very successful business people. It would be interesting if there was some kind of mao booster that could be given and if someone actually lost the urge to jump because of it. I personally doubt it would cause a skydiver to quit, but it might inhibit someone from trying it for the first time.

I've heard of other research that suggests that this may be a biological thing. It says that some people have such a low stress arousal level, that they may seek out activities that make them feel more alive.

I have heard both of these as far as risk taking behavior goes. Also something along the lines of type "T" personalities go along with risk-takers. Speaking of health effects a few months ago I heard a physician speaking about the loss of brain cells due to extreme pleasure, actually from the side effects of this which would be dopamine and maybe another chemical released because of said pleasure.

after beeing just seconds away from sure death justs thinks..."damn...now i need a repack and a new cutaway pillow..."

Interesting indeed. After my first cutaway (on the way down under my reserve) all I was was really upset that now I couldn't complete my full day of skydiving! In fact, I went over to the school there and rented gear for the rest of the day! No fear at all...just calculating how I could get up in the air again and jump!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Can people actually be addicted to adrenaline?
--Yes.
Is skydiving withdrawal physical or mental?
--Both
Is one of the long term effects of skydiving a shorter attention span?
--Yes...although my shorter attention span comes from something else as well, not just skydiving. ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Two observations:first, my buddy Paul says that lots of people in the aviation industry suffer from ADHD. We have short attention spans and need a structured environment to function. I find the structured environment of skydiving, flying and sewing calming, on the other hand, I find not knowing what I am going to do tomorrow scary.

My other observation is that I have seen plenty of addictive type personalities come and go through DZs. Some of them went by suicide. I have seen people use skydiving as a beak from their: gambling, cocaine, ex-wife, marijuana, workaholic, alcohol, etc. problems. I for one quit drinking 7 years ago.

The more I think about it the more I think it comes down to an addiction of sorts. There is something that keeps you coming back for more even with the danger that is involved. This probibally has to do with the chemicals that are released when you participate in skydiving. When these chemicals (such as dopamine) are released they stimulate the pleasure centers withing the brain making you feel good. Then there is a matter of what it takes for these chemicals to be released, and the "normal" level that you are used to. This might explain why for some just going out and watering their garden or hiking in the woods produces a pleasurable effect. Others might need more stimulation to raise these levels to produce pleasure?:S

The more I think about it the more I think it comes down to an addiction of sorts. There is something that keeps you coming back for more even with the danger that is involved. This probibally has to do with the chemicals that are released when you participate in skydiving. When these chemicals (such as dopamine) are released they stimulate the pleasure centers withing the brain making you feel good. Then there is a matter of what it takes for these chemicals to be released, and the "normal" level that you are used to. This might explain why for some just going out and watering their garden or hiking in the woods produces a pleasurable effect. Others might need more stimulation to raise these levels to produce pleasure?:S

It's got to be more than just a "feel good" addiction. I've had too many days where I was taking over 2 /grams/ of motrin at a go for pain for it to be just for the "feel good" factor.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I'd like to see some studies about skydiving and post trauma syndroms after cutaways/near accidents.

Kind of funny how after an airliner near accident, people need lots of therapy to work throug the experience while skydivers, after beeing just seconds away from sure death justs thinks..."damn...now i need a repack and a new cutaway pillow..." :o

LOL - It's interesting that - and true.
----------
Ben G
Still Sinking :-(

I'm not an expert on this, and I'd like to learn more on this subject. I've worked with lot's of kids who are suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Most have been traumatized over and over for an extended period of time. Sometimes it can be caused by a single event, but usually the event isn't something that was life threatening and over in a matter of seconds. Many of these kids have had close calls, but it isn't the source of their PTSD. Some kids are relatively unscathed from a traumatic event, while others may be deeply affected.

I've known some soldiers who have come back from combat situations who are still suffering from this. Usually it isn't caused from a single life threatening incident that happened and was over in seconds (but I suppose it could). Usually it stems from extended periods of life threatening events. Or it could stem from observing just one scene of horror, that go along with war. So in other words I'm trying to figure this out also.

I know I've had a couple close ones in skydiving, and I don't feel like it caused PTSD. I've also about bought the farm a few times falling timber in the woods. (These usually happened quickly and then were over). Most times I'd just start my saw back up and go back to work with a pissed-off attitude. I'd think about it later, but I don't think it caused PTSD. I'm sure there are people out there that know more about this than I do. Any comments on the causes of PTSD? This might be a good topic for a reasearch paper......Steve1