freeflydrew

Ranch Skydiving Club Ends-Prices Go WAY UP!!

$20 is still BELOW average for that part of the country. I was paying $21 in Ohio. With automotive gas at $2.19 here in Georgia.......I think he is still doing pretty good. He probably just can't afford the club anymore. Hopefully he'll come up with deals on block ticket purchases and some other good stuff for the regulars.

Sorry to hear that Drew. Fond memories of the few visits I made there and was included in the free beer and pizza. Of course when some yahoo yelled "Fire in the hole!" We all found out how fast we could move too!

Blue skies,

Jim

Of course when some yahoo yelled "Fire in the hole!" We all found out how fast we could move too!

Probably wasn't really a yahoo, but a prized, cherished club member. We avoided yahoos. Kept them out at the door first thing. Could have been the club president. Are you absolutely certain someone yelled "Fire in the hole"? Doesn't seem like any of us to actually yell out a warning that was meant to be taken seriously. False warnings or none, that's more like it. Back when we were a club. Ah, the old days... Now I suppose we're a business. Or, they are the business. We're the cash cows. Moowanga!

I don't remember seeing an announcement about there being no pizza & keg. I have faith that Billy is stubborn enough to do what it takes to keep the Ranch a cool place to jump, and make it even better.

As far as jump prices, how can you NOT expect prices to go up with the way gas has been?

Fuck the politics and get out here and jump! THAT is what will make it a great place, not pizza and a keg.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

Sorry if there was any confusion here...

My post was meant to stress that the Ranch Parachute Club had ended, not that there would be no more pizza or kegs, and not that the Ranch isn't a great place... it was about the actual club part of the dropzone

One of the things that makes the Ranch so great was the way it was established, the history it has, and that everyone there is a member of the club. We all paid an annual membership fee, we all received a club directory so we could make plans with our jump buddies while we're away from the dz, we all got free pizza and beer on saturdays, and we all enjoyed discounted jump tickets... shit, we even got membership cards! We all play our part to make The Ranch an incredibly unique dropzone... the "club" aspect of it was a huge part, and it's really disappointing to know that that part has been dissolved.

That's what I was thinking when I originally posted.
-drew

I'm just surprised anyone bothered to call out the warning, not that anyone was serious about it. Those fires are usually surrounded by beer and whatever else turns up so announcing a warning seems a bit conscientous, clear headed and downright admirable and friendly. Might have been a visitor who called that out. Most members would have preferred to watch the surprised look on an unsuspecting visitor's face than warn anyone. Partly because when we look around the fire, we have a good idea of who migt be tossing something in. So in general we know to back off when they do. It's just that anyone said anything that surprises me. And please, just because Billy emasculated us doesn't mean we can't still be friendly in a Ranch soprt of way. If you liked us once, we're still likeable - to a point.

What's stopping you from starting the club up again, a club is NOT one person, if you and ya mates are unhappy about it, don't let it go under do somthing about it.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hey Drew, I hope all is well with you. Give Tereza my best...I know exactly what you are trying to say. I don't know why so many are shocked. As far as I am concerned the club was crippled two years ago. It was a matter of time...It isn't about the gas, prices, etc. Its about the brotherhood and the spirtitual love some of us in the skydiving community were so lucky to be a part of... It was once the coolest drop zone. I am lucky to be one of those that had the privlege to have had experienced it. There are still alot of cool people at the ranch and I am sure there are many good times to come. It is like losing a best friend...I hope to see and jump with you and tereza again real soon. Storman

===============================

yeah jerm...you know hwat makes the ranch for me is the people that I have met and had great times with...the ones I have travelled to see like you and hiedi and all the great people who helped me along, and I count drew and theresa and kim and jon and eric and emma and LT and many others that I cant think of right now because I am a little trashed...

but seriously guys its about the good people and the jumping... thank you all at the ranch for being there at the ranch and out and about...

I will always hold it in a special place in my heart...

Cheers and see ya this week to those of you around ;)

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

We briefly discussed this yesterday at safety day... they can't dissolve us as a club. We can lose the discount of the jumps, but there are a lot of unanswered questions about the club itself, that need to be answered.

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I'm going to auction my membership card on E-bay!! It's a collectible now. Plus I might be able to get enough for a jump ticket!! ;)

I think the loss of the club is a sad thing. Perhaps we can keep the club in some form. I guess we will see in the near future.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Can't someone take up the responsibility for printing out a directory... maybe start a beer fund. At Tecumseh, when you have a "first" you have to chip in $10 to the beer fund. Then we use that money each weekend to buy beer for everyone. It seams to me that there is a lot you guys could do to keep the vibe going.

It is a bummer that this had to happen for you guys. I made my very first jump at the Ranch and loved that dz. [:/]

you should have been there when we were throwing propane cyl's into the fire.....

now that was fun....

g

You forgot, throwing them in then shooting them. We don't do it half assed. We do it whole assed or nothing at all. LOL

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

>I have faith that Billy is stubborn enough to do what it takes to keep the Ranch a cool place to jump

right.....uh huh
the property was listed 3 yrs ago, for use as a possible airpark

I don't remember seeing an announcement about there being no pizza & keg.

cost cutting jerm, thats what its about
thats why we dont have a manager anymore

it used to be that the club handled aircraft maint
and the school handled fuel(or something like that)

last i heard, the school is now responsable for it all

DO YOU THINK that joe will forgo his kids collage education or new lawn furniture for your full belly????

money is money
business is business
and with jump numbers going down for at least the last 4 yrs
what do you think??
hmmmmm

peace

g

Being a "Club" is not what makes a dropzone. It is the people. The coolest dz's I go to are not clubs and there are still great jumps, great parties, and beer and pizza as well as cookouts, bonfires, events, and an overall awesome vibe. None of that is determined on whether the place is a club or not. There is no reason you can't maintain the vibe and functions of the club here. It is just going to take a little more effort from all involved.

Besides, my DZ is not a club and we pay higher jump prices than $20, and still have beer and pizza and all hang out around the fire. I bet most people who come to our dz for the first time would think it is a club.

the property was listed 3 yrs ago, for use as a possible airpark

I remember that too, Gary. But that was put out by landowners no longer involved with jumping or the DZ. I think they might have been bought out, but dont know for sure.

As for all this, yeah expensive jumps suck. If DZ management would but just the smallest effort into running a DZ, I think things would be fine.

Now lets just see if that happens.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome