Jessica

Try once, try twice....

IIRC, the SIM tells students to give their main handle two additional tried if it doesn't come out the first time.

Maybe that's OK when you're dumping at 5K, but I'm horrified when jumpers tell me they have a try-three-times policy. It's way too easy to lose track of your altitude when you're fussing with something.

If I can't get it on the second grab, party time is over. This is me having a hard pull: "Fuck. FUCK! *foomp*"

That's the sound of the reserve dumping at terminal.

What do y'all think?
Skydiving is for cool people only

I teach try once, if the PC doesn't come out, try again, pulling as hard as you can. If it doesn't come out, it won't come out because you just pulled as hard as you can, there is nothing else you can do. Go to the reserve. If that doesn't come out, "repeat with re-newed vigor"B|.

Hook

>If I can't get it on the second grab, party time is over. This is me
>having a hard pull: "Fuck. FUCK! *foomp*"

>That's the sound of the reserve dumping at terminal.

>What do y'all think?

So if we hear you say "fuck" a third time we can ride your ass later?

I agree with the two-try thing for all but exceptional jumps i.e. a high altitude H+P. If it doesn't come out in two it's probably not going to.

There is no rule saying you can't have your hand go to the reserve WHILE you give the handle a solid yank.

You should practice a few reserve pulls, and see if you stay stable.....I have done this in the tunnel...It is kinda funny to see a guy dip forward doing something he has never done even if he has a few hundered jumps.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Practice this. Really. It's very easy to think to yourself "that wasn't really a try," or "I felt it move a little that time." Way too easy. Even if it did move, how many more tries will it take to come out?

This is a been-there-done-that message.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

SIM: Skydiver's Information Manual. (A United States Parachute Association publication.)
IIRC: If I Recall Correctly.

Surely you're not in such a hurry that you can't type out these in full?

These are extremely common acronyms in skydiving and/or the Internet. No need to be snide. Just ask.
Skydiving is for cool people only

SIM: Skydivers' Information Manual (available from the United States Parachute Association website

IIRC: If I Recall Correctly

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Trust me.....it's a very big ouch :)

hmm.. only part that hurt me was the reserve handle/write-mount altimeter whacking me in the lip on opening shock... the rest of it was fine.... then again i wasn't wearing my camera [:/]

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

The jump before last was on completely different gear than what I was trained on. I did a couple visiting jumps at a different DZ. The rip-cord was on the right MLW about where a cut-away handle would be. This was an SOS system though which is what I was trained with. Anywho, the handle came loose in freefall as it was only held there by a rubber band...which was not in use. To be sure that I would reach for the handle in the right place when it came time, I did a practice rip-cord pull. I even reached in the right spot. The handle wasn't there. I was at 10K when I realised this so I had plenty of time to figure things out. I looked for about 3 or 4 seconds before I found the handle by my neck. I held onto it for the duration of the freefall and pulled at 4K no problem...

Now that I think of it, this has absolutly nothing to do with this thread, really...hmmm. Goodnight

I had to pull my reserve due to a hard pull. In my case i lost track of altitude and only knew it was time to pull silver because i heard my dytter flatline. I went to pull at 3500 and my hand never left my hackey. I tried pulling until i heard the flatline at which point i deployed the reserve. Had i not been jumping with a dytter, who knows what would've happenend. That was some scary shit. People really need to pay attention to altitude and not rely on an audible, though in this case it was a nice back up.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Quick question. Does anybody have any links on terms, info about containers, chutes, canopies, etc.. for the newbie here. I did my frst jump Thursda, May 15 and I am hooked. I am jumping again June 7th and I am going for my "A" license. I was Airborne in the military, but skydiving is more exciting than the boring static line jumps I did. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks, and blue skies everyone.

Scott

If I can't get it on the second grab, party time is over.

I jump a pull out w/out an AAD. I have dropped the handle ...failed to retrieve it on the first attempt...for me that is two attempts total (no pun intended). This has happened twice in 560 jumps(wearing gloves) and
both times I went strait for the reserve. My reserve (round) was open by 1800' both times landing me on the DZ(safe). I use the 2 times rule...I can't afford not to.

That's the sound of the reserve dumping at terminal.

You should hear mine! (CRRRRRRACK!)B|
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

Quick question. Does anybody have any links on terms, info about containers, chutes, canopies, etc.. for the newbie here. I did my frst jump Thursda, May 15 and I am hooked. I am jumping again June 7th and I am going for my "A" license. I was Airborne in the military, but skydiving is more exciting than the boring static line jumps I did. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks, and blue skies everyone.

Scott

Click "Safety" in the navigation bar at the top of this page. Then read all of the "essential reading", that'll get you started.

'try once' try twice' go for silver' is the mantra taught to first jumpers at our dz. on saturday, my first jump of the year and first ever jump with boc deplyment, i had a harder than expected pull. all of our student rigs had been converted from belly band to boc over the winter, as a result, the pockets are still quite tight. i rached, grabbed and pulled as usual, but my hand slipped off the handle. i reached again, found the ball and pulled harder. it came out fine, but as the canopy opened, i noticed my left hand was already on the reserve handle! muscle memory is a good thing. ;)

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Pound the stowed pilot chute down hard after it's in the pouch to limit the lumps that may snag it on the way out, if you're not used to it. The PC should also be rolled in a neat tube-like shape to limit lumps in the pouch. Of course, if you're free flying and even if you are not, a "tuck flap" that hides the bridle between the pouch and the flaps is one more piece of insurance for BOC. A tight BOC is actually good, since for free-flying an old, loose one could allow the PC into the wind stream at a most inconvenient, high speed moment.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Pound the stowed pilot chute down hard after it's in the pouch...

|

Oh please be careful pounding pilot chutes (BOC) you can damage AAD’s. Cypres and Astra specifically are located between the main container and the reserve container and it is very possible to do some nasty damage if you “pound” on a pilot chute in a BOC.

Try massaging the pilot chute while applying slight pressure; it will generally achieve the same results, unless the pilot chute is too big for the pouch.

Sean

I've added this link http://www.noexcusesrigging.com/RiggerInsp/cracked_cypres_case.htm I found while on the rigging forum.

Trust me.....it's a very big ouch

did you try it in headdown or so?mine said flomp all 4 times(2 highspeed mal 2 fucked up canopies).Only my BASE gear makes the ouch,but you cant hear it while the sonud of the opening sounds higher:)
EDIT:oops yes 2 times to this guy..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

good thoughts there... my problem wasn't that it was too tight, it was just much tighter than i had expected. this was my first boc jump and i had done a bunch of practice pulls on the ground to make sure i could find the handle. it just required a harder pull than the belly band pocket. no problems after the first, i knew what to expect.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

i had done a bunch of practice pulls on the ground to make sure i could find the handle. it just required a harder pull

Lesson learned:if you pracis stuff like that,then try to pull it on the ground first;)good job by thinking straigth in the rigth timeB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber