Dannost

"A" License. What's next?

Besides getting in as many jumps as I can, now that I have my "A" and enjoying myself, what objectives do I need to meet to attain a "B" license? If there's a link or a thread for this I would gladly take some redirection. Thanks, Dan

ISAIAH 40:31

Think about getting some RW coaching, good coaching, something like some Skydive U. coached jumps. Even if you want to become a freeflier, this would be very good for you and you would learn more RW skills in those few jumps then you would over a larger number of jumps with out them. I wish I would have done this and am, infact, going to start doing Skydive U. coached jumps after Thanksgiving.

(I quite doing belly work very early on and started FFing exclusively, now I can't do anything but very simple belly stuff. Now that I'm looking at getting some ratings, I wish I had those belly skills, although I'm still very much a FFer and will be.B|).

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Besides getting in as many jumps as I can, now that I have my "A" and enjoying myself, what objectives do I need to meet to attain a "B" license?

Once you've got your "A" License, you will need to do the following in order to obtain your "B" (pretty much quoted from the USPA 2003 SIM manual):

1) Complete 50 jumps which includes at least ten minutes of controlled free fall time and landed within ten meters of your target on at least ten of those jumps.

2) Demonstrate the ability to perform individual maneuvers (figure 8, backloop, figure 8, backloop) within 18 seconds or less.

3) Received and logged live water training with full equipment in accordance with the procedures in the Skydivers Information Manual.

4) Passed a written exam conducted by a current USPA I, I/E, S&TA, or USPA Board Member.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

B License

2. Persons holding a USPA B license are able to exercise all privileges of an
A-license holder, perform night jumps, and must have

a. obtained a USPA A license

b. completed 50 jumps including:

(1) accumulated at least ten minutes of controlled freefall time

(2) landed within ten meters of target center on ten jumps

c. demonstrated the ability to perform individual maneuvers (a figure 8, backloop, figure 8, backloop) in freefall in 18 seconds or less

d. documentation of live water landing training with full equipment in accordance with the procedures in the Skydiver's Information Manual

e. passed a written exam conducted by a current USPA I, I/E, S&TA, or USPA Board member.

--
Hook high, flare on time

You can still download the SIM. Look at the link in Fred's post.

No you can't.

You can read excerpts of it online in HTML, but can not download the complete SIM.

You could download the complete SIM in PDF form until Kevin Gibson Director of Communications decided that it was more important to take advantage of students willingness to hand over money, then have well educated skydivers.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Pardon my ignorance, but is the ability to do night jumps the only difference between the A and the B? Should one go straight for the C while it's still only 100 jumps?

Re-read the SIM. You don't need a B-license to do a night jump, you just need to have all of the qualifications for the B-license met.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Dan,

Aside from progressing in your ratings, it sounds like you also want to learn how to fly your body and start having some fun getting on some skydives with other people.

Skydive U is a good idea, but I recommend saving those pennies and heading for the SkyVenture wind tunnel in Orlando. Check out the NSL tunnel camps with Shannon Pilcher, or e-mail David Van Greuningen ([email protected]) and ask about getting tunnel coaching. The tunnelcamp.com camps are also awesome but spendy.

The tunnel coaches can teach you CORRECT body flight and have you flying with confidence in a very short amount of time so that you can really enjoy your skydives.

It's too darn cold in MA to skydive right now anyway. Why not start summer off stable, solid, and ready to turn points??

Gen 1:8

There's not much point to a "B" unless you wish to do night jumps.

Nope, you don't need the "B" to do night jumps. As long as you are "B" qualified you are good to go.

Kris

Pardon my ignorance, but is the ability to do night jumps the only difference between the A and the B? Should one go straight for the C while it's still only 100 jumps?

Re-read the SIM. You don't need a B-license to do a night jump, you just need to have all of the qualifications for the B-license met.

Kris

Which section of the SIM says that?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It is a "should", not a "must" in the SIM. This leaves it up to the DZ, but it is not a requirement to have the license beforehand.

Section 6-4: Night Jumps
B. Qualifications
1. Skydivers participating in night jumping should possess a currently valid USPA B or higher license.

Kris

In Reply To

It is a "should", not a "must" in the SIM. This leaves it up to the DZ, but it is
not a requirement to have the license beforehand.

Section 6-4: Night Jumps
B. Qualifications
1. Skydivers participating in night jumping should possess a currently valid
USPA B or higher license.

Kris

But that says nothing about being "B" qualified. If you interpret the license as optional, then the qualification is irrelevant. That would be a DZ decision too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Wanted to bump this thread because I'll be getting my A license soon and am not sure what happens next that does not involve ratings.

Pardon the stupid question, but when I get my license, can I expect to jump with people with very experienced people? Will I feel obligated to pick up their jump ticket since I have so little experience? What about jumping with others just off student status? I understand the usefulness of coaching, but what about making fun jumps? What can I expect?
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

>can I expect to jump with people with very experienced people?

Depends where you are. In "old fashioned" places, you'll find the occasional experienced jumper willing to jump with you and do what is essentially a coach jump for free. In a more modern but less traditional DZ, that will be rare, because

a) it's not a tradition in many places, and experienced jumpers would rather jump with other experienced jumpers

b) the official USPA coaches sometimes get annoyed when the experienced jumpers "cheat" them out of a paid jump

>Will I feel obligated to pick up their jump ticket since I have so little experience?

Depends on you. In the traditional places it's nice but not required.

>What about jumping with others just off student status?

Can sometimes work. Even if you're not jumping with a coach, be sure to get a coaches' or organizer's advice before jumping with another newbie.

If you want to go to Rantoul, we can get you into smaller organized dives. (Those are free.) Other boogies/DZ's have services like that.