slotperfect

rec.skydiving vs. dropzone.com Forums

The rule that they object to is "no personal attacks". It is unfortunate, but some people use the safe distance of the internet to be abusive to others. I have seen quite a number of personal threats of bodily harm. This is one of the main problems that I have with wreck-dot.

To me, skydiving is a source of fun. When you lose sight of that concept and just abuse people, then I don't need to converse with you anymore. People who object to the rules here, are people that I don't need in my life.

Silly me. I was under the impression that most people could manage to debate issues without resorting to name calling and threats once they passed the 3rd grade. That's the rule I like the most about dz.com. It keeps things a little more civilized. I think when someone does resort to name calling, then it just shows that they have a narrow intellect and are unable to come up with anything of value to say.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I am new to the sport. I found Drop Zone.com while I was an AFF student. Reading the posts have really opened my eyes to things that I wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise.

Thanks to all who post here, I know the info I learn here will help keep me safe. Still the number one thing that will keep me safe is using my head!

I concur, I very soon decided that it was too much a waste of time to attempt culling a few valuable threads from the ubiquitous negative crap on the Wreck.

Part of the lure of Skydiving for me has been:
the warm, inclusive and friendly spirit which pervades the fun little DZ to which I belong; the instructive, supportive atmosphere and comradeship I've found exhibited here and elsewhere; the euphoric energy which electrifies the air whenever skydivers gather; and our shared love of adrenaline and the thrill of squeezing a lifetime's worth of exhilaration out of a few moments "real time."

(The rest the attraction? - the incredibly hot {and very cool} women in skydiving ;) )

IMO, Wreckdot reflects none of that fun, self actualizing, communal experience in the sport. And forget finding cohesive, instructive threads!

Thankfully, there is DZ. Com - for whatever its flaws, it remains a wonderful resource for this low-timer.

It is really irrelevant to me. With 331,209 post and that many users the quantitative fact is that the skydiving community has been served well by Dropzone.com

But 330,000 of them were about breasts (not that I dislike breasts, but still...).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What is the hang up on getting a "title" for the number of posts. I love that part of dz.com

Because it's childish, maybe.

Maybe, but at least we can spell. IMO they are just jealous.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

This has got to be the most inane controversy I have ever seen. No offense intended to those who take this issue personally. But it's almost like trying to prove to someone that NBC is the best network when they think ABC is. You'll never change their mind, and does it really matter?

But it's almost like trying to prove to someone that NBC is the best network when they think ABC is. You'll never change their mind, and does it really matter?

It does if you own stock in Disney. :P
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What is the hang up on getting a "title" for the number of posts. I love that part of dz.com

Because it's childish, maybe.

Maybe, but at least we can spell. IMO they are just jealous.

Has nothing to do with jealousy. I believe it's more that people here "look" more important when they've got lots of posts, while they may not know what the heck they're talking about. Just like someone with 10,000 jumps could come here and make one post and be "classified" as a "newbie". Too much emphasis on # of posts.

Not saying I think the "classification" is a "bad thing", but I believe that's the "gripe" with it. Look at Da Wreck; those with the most posts are usually also the ones with most BS and little of actual learning value (me included).

ALF#1 :o)
---
Unanswered questions are far less dangerous than unquestioned answers

Maybe the classifications need to be changed. I don't know why they bother people since they only have to do with post numbers, not "trustworthiness," but people do seem to care. Maybe just add the word "dropzone.com" to the beginning of each one. dropzone.com newbie, dropzone.com enthusiast, etc. I think the more important number than post totals is the post per day ratio. That is really how those sorts of things should be calculated, because that more accurately reflects one's patheticness. :)
Dave

As a Newbie here with + 600 posts on rec.skydiving I got no problem being moderated by Billvon who had + 1710 posts on rec. skydiving (both according to a Google search...)
:P

If the other moderators are of the same caliber we may have a winner here...

I do miss Snuffy, the sheep and the RW-queen but I don't miss personal attacks and threads deteriorating to name calling.
Then again I didn't have a problem just ignoring certain aspects of rec.skydiving, most of the time.
(That is: after learning the ropes...)

Another observation: According to my newsreader program my last post on rec.skydiving was july 3 2002 and I replied to non other than... Martin Evans

I don't know how accurate Martins observations about THIS forum are; haven't read enough and am not going to (one of my good intentions for 2003...hehehe...)

I wished people like him would 'migrate' to this place, I can think of a few. Then again a quick glance already revealed a lot of rec.skydiving 'renegades' posting here nowadays.

It was fun while it lasted...

Maybe Sangiro should ask Martin to become a moderator here; while I was at it I found out that Martin had + 1880 posts on rec.skydiving.
Combine it with +10000 jumps and being British - therefore moderated by nature ...well...
B|

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Maybe the classifications need to be changed. I don't know why they bother people since they only have to do with post numbers, not "trustworthiness," but people do seem to care.

Um, isn't that what the profile is for? To indicate your jump numbers and other pertinent info?

I don't care one way or the other about classifications. It's an easy thing to point and click into someone's profile to see jump numbers and other qualifications. It's also an easy thing to click into the shorty profile and pull up the posts to get a feel for who writes what kind of thing. In a short period of time, you can get a feel for who posts what kind of info, and moderate your own usage according to your preferences that way...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

This has stirred up quite a bit of controversy, so I thought I'd check out rec.skydiving. The only trouble is I can't seem to get into it. I've used www in front and .com on the end. Does anyone have the complete address? Before I thumb my nose at it, I figure I should at least take a look.

The thing I really like about dropzone.com is the respect people usually have for each other even though they disagree. I often go into a taxidermy forum and what I like least about it is all the mud slinging that is found there. I'm also grateful for all the knowledge I've gained from dropzone.com. After all my years away from the sport I've had to relearn a lot. There are truly some great people here.

I also feel the guy who wrote this article on rec.skydiving is not being truthful and is overly critical in his evaluation of this site. Some of his comments seem way out there. What the hell, we're all skydivers, do we really need to argue over trivia.

He's probably just jealous of all us cool Dropzone.Commers. Steve1

"I do miss Snuffy... but I don't miss personal attacks and threads deteriorating to name calling. "

That is pretty much all of Snuffys posts. He doesn't have many jumps actually. Less than most of the posters here. Did you know that? 300 or so. Be careful who you assign the title of expert to. He's wrong about a huge amount of stuff.

Martin may be British, but he has threatened to beat people with a bat for disagreeing with him on the net. Not moderator material.

All people need to do is abide by HH's rules. If they have a problem with that, then they aren't really going to add to the enjoyment of group. Small, simple, easy-to-follow rules. Martin has said he doesn't like the rules.

Everybody is posting in the right place. Everyone should keep doing what they are. Personally, I like playing in this sandbox.

The titles are just fun. Why not laugh and enjoy it? I don't think anyone is running around with some confusion about jump-numbers and post-numbers. It's just part of the fun of the site. Like wearing hats on Halloween.

Reeeelax, people. I personally don't care if Martin is upset that the site is not run to his liking. It's just his opinion.

I never really viewed Snuffy as the jumping expert. He's a people expert. Sometimes that is more than enough. AND he can stir up things, which I always found funny. But I'm no oversensitive sheep.

Martin never threatened to beat me up with a bat. Maybe he will when he finds out I propose him as a Dropzone com moderator...hehehe...

The internet has its limitations when you want to learn how to skydive there...Maybe it is better to consult local experts who may not be the best experts on the planet but are the only experts available locally... I mean, I dont hesitate for a moment to tell anybody at my own place what to do and what not to do but at this forum I'm not here to tell anybody else. At home my word is the full $ 200 and here it is about $ 0,02
;)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

***Sorry, I'm not in kindergarten anymore

But it took you over 5330 posts (I only counted your iastate.edu mail adres) to grow up!
B|

Now wasn't that childish from me?;)

-----
BTW (Of topic if Bill allows it) I tried to sign your 'Gjestebok' but the fact that it is Norwegian isn't helpful. See if you can find out how to say 'Hi' in my 'Gastenboek'...

A thousand words...

Civilization is a social disease........and highly overated I might add.;)
There is nothing wrong with a little good natured name calling. However winning a debate or proving a point should not be decided on who has the best insults. In fact the point of debate or discussion is to come to a logical true answer. Too often that truth gets hidden or nudged aside by the sideshow generated by the colorful showmanship of the participants. Take the OJ trial for instance.
Occasionally you greenies do jump the gun and cut a thread off before it gets to the maximum level of entertainment value. But never have I seen you prevent someone from presenting their ideas, questions, etc.
I could not deal with the level of bashing that goes on at rec.dot. Much of what I see there is the old time skygod egotistical B.S.. I have left drop zones for just that type of negative atmosphere. Nobody was born with a 1000 jumps and having huge jump numbers does not mean you win at the game of life. Teach what you have learned freely, the same as someone else taught it to you. Allow everybody the right to be human and make mistakes. Otherwise when you make a mistake expect to have someone stick it in yer A$#, showing you the same tolerance.
Sacarasm is one thing. Hostility is another. There is a fine line between humor and just plain meaness.

Just my inane ramblings..
JJ

JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"