rickfri59

Cutaway - The Movie

Holy sh_t my jaw just hung in amazement........

I was searching through the video store last night and a DVD jacket with Skydivers caught my attention. Needless to say, I said screw the video I came in for and headed home with Cutaway. I have never seen such bad acting, but more amazing is the stuff they do in the movie, and what non Skydivers would be led to believe about the sport and DZ life. I can't figure why I spend hours learning to pack, and why I anguish over whether my lines are twisted or go over the nose. What the heck, all this time all I needed to do is drop the rig on the ground, (in bright sun light) and start dressing the cocoon. Is it really easy to get laid at a DZ, by a pretty blonde? You've got to see this movie, preferably drunk. You'd probably piss your pants.;)

Holy sh_t my jaw just hung in amazement........

I was searching through the video store last night and a DVD jacket with Skydivers caught my attention. Needless to say, I said screw the video I came in for and headed home with Cutaway. I have never seen such bad acting, but more amazing is the stuff they do in the movie, and what non Skydivers would be led to believe about the sport and DZ life. I can't figure why I spend hours learning to pack, and why I anguish over whether my lines are twisted or go over the nose. What the heck, all this time all I needed to do is drop the rig on the ground, (in bright sun light) and start dressing the cocoon. Is it really easy to get laid at a DZ, by a pretty blonde? You've got to see this movie, preferably drunk. You'd probably piss your pants.;)

have you been practicing your tracking in the mirror? ;)

The funny thing is, the longer you've been around the more you come to realize that Cutaway was based more in fact than fiction.

If you don't think so at this moment, then you need to stick around in skydiving longer and figure it out.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

BWAHAHAHA Yeah, it's a "great" movie. I always loved the packing scenes too, they're just fun. Another part I liked was Mr. Baldwin's first BASE coming after he'd made what seemed to be about 50 jumps. Of course he did spend all that time in the GK's wind tunnel......

Actually, one thing I noticed that I thought was cool in that movie is that several of the actors are wearing radios like maybe they actually flung themselves from the plane. Anyone know if that actually happened?

Truman Sparks for President

I thought as much, just never sure. When I watched the movie it did actually take me back to student status for a moment or two. Watching their jumps and seeing them on radio was part of it, but you can tell they're still getting the hang of everything cause they don't even come close to grabbing rear risers during opening.

As far as the movie being based in real life, I think I have to agree with you. As many parts of it as I laugh at there are a few more parts that are pretty accurate.

By the way, thanks for clearing up the did they really jump question for me.

Truman Sparks for President

Funny thing is all the skydiving cameo's in it. See bill Boothe and his family in displaying a vector3. There is a lot more, in fact the movie is all one big commercial.

Also if you jump around in Florida you will see that they take off in Miami, the dz is Clewiston and they land on Flagler beach right next to Norman Kent's house. Not bad for a first jump. ALso Bill bookman flew the skyvan for all the actual flying, but you never see him in the movie flying the plane.

Want to see an even more messed up representation of skydiving watch Dropzone, everytime you see someone in freefall looking at the camera, they dont have riser's on their rig's. And most of the time in the plane also, you would think that with a big money production they would at least pay for riser's.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

The funny thing is, the longer you've been around the more you come to realize that Cutaway was based more in fact than fiction.

If you don't think so at this moment, then you need to stick around in skydiving longer and figure it out.

100% agree:P

Just have to add that despite I like serious movies made by good film directors, I enjoid watching Cutaway 7 or 8 times and will probably do it again

Oh I don't know about that. I've been around 14 years - and not just weekends - and I still think Guy Manos should be ashamed of himself. This movie sucked! It's chock full of holes. And not just assholes. Why did they have 8 way speed star as the big Nationals event? We already have 10-way. What happend to 8-way as it is? But the tracking mirror (complete with sound effect) made us rewind to see it again a couple of times. I liked the suicide cutaway and track at the end where he landed right dead center in the peas and was looking pretty good for all his troubles too. And yeah, I've seen a lot of friends 'cut away' when they decided to quit the real world and become full time skydivers and DZ denizens, trading in their S.U.V.'s for ramshackle caravans and tents. Goes on all the time. We have 'cut away' parties at least once a month as doctors, lawyers and real life people make the switch, 'take the plunge'.so to speak. This movie was real and factual. And the U.S. is going to give Hussein a pass, the tooth fairy will blow anybody for a quarter (ask her what she'll do for a dollar) and Olav Zipser is taking humility training.

Hey, how about Point Break? Not many skydiving scenes, but you gotta love the finale- a Mr.Bill freefall, the guys (one of them without a rig) arguing about who's going to pull the cord as they go past 2500', at 1000' they're still undecided and have time for a few more angry words, then 3 seconds later Keanu Reeves finally pulls- the main opens and they hit hard, but both survive.
Nevertheless, this movie was the first time that I saw a skydive on film (4th grade, I think) and I knew immediately I would someday be jumping out of airplanes myself;).

The skydiving is pretty in Point Break. Keanu Reeves is prettier :).

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In Point Break, I kind of enjoyed the 4 1/2 minute free fall on their first jump and especially the 3 minute free fall from 4000 feet on their 2nd jump.

As far as Skydiving footage is concerned, I liked Cutaway above Point Break, Drop Zone and Terminal Velocity, but I'd much rather watch one of my free flying or swooping videos in order to get my fix when I can't jump. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

What? People using skydiving to smuggle drugs? That's never happened. ;) People with green hair and funny hats? Suits that look like recycled circus clown-wear? Never seen it. People on teams who are too serious. Nope. :D:D

However, non-skydivers luuuuvvvv to sit around and watch my skydiving videos. They beg and plead. :):D

Kim --

Sure it's full of holes -- it's fiction!

Why 8-way? Maybe because it's 80% less expensive on the budget than 10-way. Also, It's a pretty large cast already even with only an 8-way adding in 3 more people to the mix (What? You forgot the camera flyer?) would have made writing the script a bit more difficult and, like I said, would have impacted the budget quite a bit. 23 days of shooting even at minimum scale would be at least an additional $35,000 for characters that wouldn't really add anything to the plot.

So, yeah, he cheaped out on a few things. Then again, he made a movie on time and under budget, which is commendable.

When I said it was based more in fact than fiction, I was speaking of the some of the characters and sub-plots of the film which are in -my- experience pretty damn accurate.

I saw characters in Cutaway that I recognised at my dropzone as real people.

I have known people that have dropped out of real life to become dz bums. At one point I had even considered it myself. I still maintain a trailer at the dz I use as a team room.

I know one or two highly competitive folks in the sport that take things a bit too seriously. I know one or two folks in the sport that don't take anything seriously. I know complete techno geeks that can tell you ever aspect of the perfect jump. I know people that really have no business being on a team because they really just kind of suck, but they're determined to "belong".

I'm pretty sure little dz romances pop-up every now and then.

I've also known of folks that have decided it's time to make their last jump and end it all. You're right, they didn't leave a pretty corpse on the accuracy pad, but that's not the freekin' point.

I'm tellin' ya, there's more truth to that movie than most skydivers are willing to admit because it's much "cooler" to put it down.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver