GroundZero

21 sq.ft. Xaos pic

What is the difficulty in flying this little thing? I'm not talking about landing it, of course, which is out of the question for just about anyone. But what's it like to fly it?

The thing is that these canopies are extremely sensitive to anykind of input. Short lines with high wingloading causes the canopy to turn very fast even when you move in your harness. I'm sure you've read about that you can spin up a highperformance canopy to line twist in opening if your not square in the harness, and that's at very low wingloading compared to most people would be loading these small canopies.

I guess you can think of results what kind of an spinning malfunction you could get with canopy this small.

Does anyone know if it was actually landed or chopped?

no, it was not landed, yuo really have to see it in person to appreciate how small it actually is. There are Ram-air kites out there bigger. I believe he (Andy) said the slowest he got was 68 mph on his protrack, but my memory from last night is a bit clouded:)

Does anyone know if it was actually landed or chopped?

It was cut away. Talked to Andy yesterday and saw the it - TINY. I've seen bigger stunt kites. The video was great.

He's hoping to get a couple more jumps in today if the fog lifts.

Bob

Talked to Andy yesterday and saw the it - TINY. I've seen bigger stunt kites. The video was great.

Yup, I got to poke at it today. I can literally span it with my arms. The nose openings are about the size of a paperback book. It's just plain silly to look at.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Slowest speed was 68? Can the canopy actually be leveled out? As in if someone wanted to land it in the water with ski's on or something? Or in a boat going 68mph?

vertical rate of descent... they need to look at all the data on the jump track software. It did register a deployment though (the object was to maintain a freefall data signature)... when asked if he really wanted to land it, I did not get an emphatic "no":)

The video was great.

saw the video yesterday.. "a bit twitchy" has to be the understatement of the year...and damn it looked like fun but wow...it wants to spin up faster than you can say Xaos..if i had any doubts Andy was a great canopy pilot they are gone now

I saw the video yesterday and it looked great with the belly POV cam. Jeff is just smiling in the plane as Andy leaves. I did think it was funny that the camera shut off on opening, was it hard? There was a short cut right after you see the deployment and the next thing is a fully open canopy. Looked very twitchy! and fast!!:)
Kelly are you still kicking the idea around of trying the Mr. Bill that "ram air napkin" with Andy? That needs some vid if you try!

Scott C.

"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Craig Poxon had footage of somone flying a VX46 on his site a year or so; it was pretty terrifying to watch. If the jumper hadn't hadn't used a smoke canister, it would have been hard to track him. I can't imagine what a 21 would be like!!

-zelda

Does he still have the footage on his site?...or is there any footage out on the web somewhere? I think a lot of us are dying to see it!

It's an ftp site that, I think, he only maintains seasonally, and I can't get into it now. It's ftp://129.2.229.250. Maybe someone more tech savvy than I can get into it.

-zelda

It's an ftp site that, I think, he only maintains seasonally, and I can't get into it now. It's ftp://129.2.229.250. Maybe someone more tech savvy than I can get into it.

Ahhhh my old IP address. Those were the good old days. Thats now http://www.skydivingmovies.com, open all year round, and possibly soon to be running on 2 different servers for better speed.

Dave