Mixoligist

traffic stop on route to DZ

I got pulled over on the way to the DZ this morning for not coming to a complete stop.
Officer was very nice, and I explained my rush to get in the air. He let me go and told me to have fun and wear my helmet......this got me thinking the rest of the drive......How many of you have been stopped for speeding on route to your DZ?
How many have been stopped for speeding on the way home?
I know the speed limit seems slow after free-flying so I've been pulled over on the way home also.
"Wow ,I was doin 80 mph.......sure felt slower than that officer";)
Just curious about the excuses that have been used.

Blue skies B|

Bob
Better you than me

Got pulled over going to a DZ to apply for a flying job. Sucked. Got to the DZ and the DZO was a prick. Didn't work for him. Went down the road closer to home and made my very first jump that day. So all in all the day worked out great!
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I was with a friend who was pulled over while we were going to the DZ. He never mentioned where we were going and was ticketed(sp?). Bummer[:/] Had to go to court an hour and a half away from his house.

Chris

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

Got stuck in a sobriety check point on the way home from the dz one evening. We'd been doing tandems all day and for once had left the dz before drinking any beers, so we both still had that "I did a few jumps today and the adrenaline hasn't quite worn off yet" look. Cop asked if we'd been drinking, we said no but we would be as soon as we got home. He looked at us kinda funny... so we explained what we'd been doing all day. He thought that was pretty cool, told us to have a nice night and away we went.

Once, on the way to Davis for a freefly camp.

Whoa! I just remembered! After Eloy, me and my family are driving to Vegas after stopping in Sedona. They are stopping and searching all traffic before is crosses the Hoover dam. OK, so if you've ever seen my gearbox, it's this huge wheeled pelican case, a big black plastic composite footlocker. It's got nine latches on it and it holds my rigs and photo gear.
OK so it's sitting in the bed of my truck, my kids are in the back seat watching Lilo and Stitch or something, I pull over for a very nice clean cut young rent-a-trooper. I've also got this big plastic Yakima case on the roof.

He swaggers up to the door, the kids look up, startled. "Where you headed?" "Vegas" "What you got in the big case?" "Skydiving equipment" ":S" "Uh, you want to see?" "Uh, nuh-uh. OK, go ahead. Along.Th..."

And off I went.

I just love that answer! "What's that?" "Sport parachute rig" "Duh-errrrr:S"

I got in a nasty car accident on the way home from Sky Knights last summer. Because of the seriousness of the accident, the cops were going to make me go to the station and take a BAC test, but once they found out I had been skydiving, I didn't have to. B|

National's in Arizona everyone on my team but me got stopped. Can you believe the road to the dz is in the middle of nowhere, but has a 25mph speed limit. And the cops sit behing big cotton piles, sad thing is we were following about 15 cars and we were the last in line. Luckily one of my teammates (Glen Melendez) was a police officer from florida, so they let us go. Funniest thing was Glen was driving, and I had long hair, earring's and a goatee, and they were stopping suspected drug runner's and thought cause he was cuban that he looked suspicios and stopped us, it turned out funny when he showed his badge, he never stopped blaming me.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I did on the way home after my very first tandem last summer. :D

edited to say, no, I didn't get a ticket... B|

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Yup, sure have. It was my last ticket in fact, I am suprised I haven't gotten more on the way down. I tried to convince the cop to come jump. Thinking that might help my cause with just a warning. To no avail though, he said " I have seen too many accident's because of it...it's too dangerous! I think I made matters worse. What's worse is this dumbass did a 3-point turn in the middle of a 2-lane road to get me... Yea, like that's not stupid...

Got pulled over on the way to the DZ at 3:30 AM.. that's right kids.. a cop had a speed trap set up that damn early in the am.. I didn't even think to tell him where I was going.. the ticket was for 21 over the limit right after a change from 55 to 35.. sucked big time.

Blue Ones !

Bryan

Got my first ticket last week... not going to the DZ though. Illegal left turn. So annoying... 2 other people made the same turn I did while the cop was writing my ticket. After he told me it was a $70 ticket, I mentioned that fact to him. He said "have you ever gone fishing?... you can't catch them all." That just pissed me off.

I'm taking a transportation engineering class now. The professor mentioned he has a friend in transportation that was pulled over for some kind of illegal turn or something. He went to court with a book of standards for intersection markings, and said that the sign he didn't follow wasn't placed at the standard location, yada yada, and got off. I'd love to try something like that but I don't wanna have to borrow a tie for court. :)
Dave

dont wear one then..if you've got a convincing argument it will make little difference...

i've gotten out of several tickets in the last 5 years by taking the radar gun to court..in all cases the officers were using it out side of its operating parameters (range, resolution, weather restrictions etc..)

but occasionally your going to get caught if you bend the rules to much..a 3 way i was on once all landed out by Shed rd while a cop was giving a guy a ticket...i dont think he realized there was a DZ that close (?!:S?!) because he kinda freaked out when we landed..

had a female friend following me out to Skydive Chicago. we were in traffic, all going around 50ish, on I-80 when the cars ahead of me started swerveing (sp?). when it got to be my turn, i see one of those huge orange cones in the middle of the lane. i whoop and grin and slide around it. i look in the rear view, and see dana (female friend) doing the donut spining out of control behind me. maybe she was afraid of huge orange cones. hard to say. i pulled over, and when she caught up, she was so full of addrenaline, it was weird.
she made her first tandem that day. she said after being in an accident like that, jumping from a plane just made sense.
ouroboros

"Just curious about the excuses that have been used"

I'm not speeding, I'm just flying low........Bumper sticker used by camera flier (Eeeezeee) at Spaceland.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Got really nailed once years ago...going from San Diego to Elsinore on the 15.
6:30 am - and the only guy on the road...I was directed to secondary inspection at the 'beaner check'
...after over an hour...going through my gear to the point of turning my gloves inside out I was released...

Seems I was "profiled"

Someone told the border patrol dudes the those nasty skydivers ofter have DRUGS with them!!!
Can you belive it?!:S

First thing I did whenI got to Elsinore was pull all the SKYDIVING stickers off my ride!:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~