Mayhem

Southwest Air vs. Cypress

Ok so I am flying down to Las Cruses, NM on the 21st and since I 've never been down south, I figured it would be nice to hit some new DZ's. So my d'lema is...
Southwest Air dosen't allow rigs with AAD's, and I won't remove my Cypress. Has anyone flown with them lately that knows a way I can get around this? I've seen posts about this before but I wasn't sure if any of them involved SWA. Any help is appreciated.

Mayhem

------------------------------------------------------------
What have you done to make your life better?

Where did you get that impression? Do a search on here, in fact there's a thread just a couple down that specifically references SouthWest. They were actually instrumental in making sure the Cypress was added to the TSA's list of approved items.

You may be confusing the ban on "compressed air" powered activation devices that are no longer used AFAIK.

There are no issues flying Southwest with a Cypres. In fact, I flew Southwest when I wandered down to Perris over New Years. Southwest changed its policies regarding Cypreses a few years ago.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

WoooHoooo!
Thanx everyone. All I did is mention AAD and every SWA rep. I talked to said not allowed. But your guys answers are much better.
How did you you have your rig checked, by hand or x-ray? I was told part of the Cypress looks like a plasting cap through the x-ray, but I don't know, I've never seen it. I just don't want to go through more hassell then I need to.

Mayhem

When you check in at the ticket counter, ask the ticket agent to look up the Airtec Cypres in their system. They will find a short statement that says it's OK to take on the plane. Have the ticket agent print that out and sign it, and have it ready when you pass through security. Also, have the card that came with the Cypres that has the picture of the x-ray on it.

The ticket agent may initially balk, but just ask them nicely to look it up, and they (and you) will be pleasantly surprised. I now try to fly SWA almost exclusively because of this.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Thanks for the advise. I'll do it, but I'm going to give myself pleanty of time befor the flight, just in case.

Mayhem

Never, I repeat NEVER, fly without your rig in a bag of some kind. Never tell the agent or anyone else that you are a skydiver. Never tell security anything more than the bare minimum answer to any queries. Never tell stupid skydiving jokes to wuffos, they will immediately go to security and then not only yourself but others (me) will have to pay for your stupidity.
Be polite, nonchalant, and you will blend in and you will have a great time when you get to where you are going.

This little rant is not aimed at you, however every time I have been hassled at the airport it is because some brain donor before me caused some kind of problem. Have a great trip.

OOPS, I meant to reply to Mayhem's post. sorry

Never, I repeat NEVER, fly without your rig in a bag of some kind. Never tell the agent or anyone else that you are a skydiver.

In the last three years, I've flown over 30 times with my rig. I've always been completely up-front and honest, and I've never been delayed more then 3 minutes.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

yup yup yup.

Last October Delta forced me to check my rig on a flight to Atlanta.

The return flight was on Midwest Express. No gear bag, just the rig. The security lady ( a hottie ) in Atlanta said "oh, going skydiving?". I said "Nope, that's what I was here for. I'm going home now."

She just gave me a grin and let me through.

It does help matters alot that I do not have a CYPRES though. Nothing unusual shows up in screening.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Why don't you just put it in a sturdy suitcase and check it? You can stand there while TSA goes over your bags and then lock it when they're done...
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Where did you get that impression? Do a search on here, in fact there's a thread just a couple down that specifically references SouthWest. They were actually instrumental in making sure the Cypress was added to the TSA's list of approved items.

You may be confusing the ban on "compressed air" powered activation devices that are no longer used AFAIK.

What are YOU talking about? I looked on TSA's website and see their list of "approved" items and AADs aren't on it.

I'm not saying they aren't allowed, simply saying I don't think TSA specifically lists an AAD in their list of "allowed" items

Kevin

Not TSA but its on the DOT's info sheets. They have a LARGE list of stuff that is'nt on their webpage that says whats allowed and whats not. And just since the DOT says something is allowed does'nt mean it can always travel. The DOT will let you ship your kayak as lugage, but some airlines won't. Accourding to the DOT an empty backpacking stove presents no risk but the TSA will not let it fly for "combustion" concerns.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It's not on their published list of approved items (neither are parachutes for that matter), but when I got checked at the airport the security person went and picked up a sheet of paper that she said had them listed as permisable. Assumed it was a TSA list, but guess it could have been anything.

I've always been completely up-front and honest, and I've never been delayed more then 3 minutes.

not saying be dishonest, just don't offer anything more than you need...tsa is night and day better now, but they are still not the sharpest tools in the shed....you throw something their way that they don't encounter everyday (ie sport parachute rig) and they go into brain lock....i flew this past weekend with my rig, said nothing to nobody about anything, and my rig passed through security without raising an eyebrow....it's not dishonest or shady, just don't offer anything that isn't directly asked for, it's just easier that way....btw, i told secuirty about having my rig on the way to florida last week and was stuck in security for about 10 minutes or so, no big deal, but it all went much smoother by keeping my pie-hole shut!!! my $0.03

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

I've always been completely up-front and honest, and I've never been delayed more then 3 minutes.

not saying be dishonest, just don't offer anything more than you need...

I'm in agreement with both of these comments and I don't think they're mutally exclusive. Example:
TSA question: What is this (pointing to Cypres)?
My answer #1: Personal safety equipment
My answer #2: An altitude activated pyrotechnic device
Both of these answers are up-front and honest and neither offers anything more than necessary. One will most likely allow me to continue my trip. The other may very well get me detained, arrested, or incarcerated. Answer how your own conscience dictates.

Bob (edited for clarity/grammer)

Some of you guys are making a big issue out of not much. Cypres is allowed period. USPA has a letter on therir website stating this. Southwest's Director of Safety, Mr. John Andrus was istrumental in getting them approved. Also in ref. to an eirlier post about Delta. I've flown them in and out of Atlanta with my rig with no problems. If you get hassled by the TSA people at security ask them to do and EDS wipedown of your rig and it will pass. It only takes a few minutes and You'll be on your way to the gate. I fly Delta, Continental, Soutwest and Airtran with my rig all the time with no hassles.

Chris