Islandcool

Jumping with people

I was hanging out between loads and started talking to another skydiver. He asked me how many jumps I had done and what I was working on. I told him I had 35 and I was practicing freeflying. He gave me some advice and his point were valid. He told me I should do RW and get comfortable being on my belly first. Jumping with other people would widen my scope of awareness and I would be a safer skydiver and after about 100 jumps I should try freeflying. My flying skills would be better I would have more awarness which in turn would in turn reduce risk. I listened as I always do. I got a little nerveous because I start feeling a little more comfortable and someting comes up that reminds me I can always be a safer skydiver. I then talked to one of the freeflyers at the DZ. He is experienced and I respect his opinion. I had told him what the other guy had said and he stated he had heard that before. He said that the important part is that you jump with people. They can help critique your jump, let you know what you may be doing wrong and give you a point of reference. He asked me if I wanted to jump with him. I went and I blew it. I was nervous about jumping with someone and I couldn't even get into a decent sit. I wasn't relaxed at all. On the ground I told him how nervous I was about jumping with someone and how I had just forgot some basics about sit flying. He said he could tell I was nervous and that just meant I had to keep jumping with people. Both gentlemen made a similar point...jump with people. After flubbing that jump with him I couldn't agree more. I talked to the organizer about starting so RW and he was really cool and I'll be starting that after this weekend(canopy control clinic this weekend). Anyone have more light to shed on this.

Thanks

Blue skies...
Ed

I think the first guy has a very valid point about learning RW first. You learn how to deal with things in the air at a slower speed, when freeflying you are dealing with things at a much faster speed, collisions, instability, etc. Both have excellent points of jumping with people, when doing solo's you have nothing relative to work with and that is absolutely fantastic you have people at your DZ willing to work with you.

~La La Gang Member #2~

Jumping with other people is the only way to get good at this - whether you're on your belly or freeflying (okay, so skysurfing and freestyle don't apply here...). I'd have to agree with the first person you mentioned; learn some RW before venturing into freeflying.

Besides the reasons already mentioned (getting comfortable with flying relative to others at the slower - read "safer" - speeds of belly flying), you're likely to have more "successful" skydives at your current experience level if you fly with others on your belly. It's far easier to approach, make your dock, fly your slot and break off on your belly than it is on your butt, feet or head. You're more likely to stay stable on your belly. And the things you learn from doing all this on your belly DO translate to freeflying later.

You can do RW with people of varying experience levels; it can be perfectly safe for two people with 50 jumps to do RW together, it may not be so safe for the same two people to do a freefly jump together.

If you plan to do any freeflying with others in the near future, be very picky about who you jump with. You want to jump with someone who flies well enough to compensate for your mistakes and get away from you if needed, and who has a high level of awareness so they can give you a good debrief after the jump.

Most importantly, keep having fun! Don't let one "bad" skydive get you down; laugh at your own instability, pick out the one or two things you did right on that jump and pat yourself on the back for them.

You are lucky to have people at your home dz willing to work with you on both RW and freefly; take advantage of that! :)

Even freeflyers have to be on their bellys sometimes, like at deployment time. So, its nice to at least have a good amount of control on your belly (for instance if some guy pitches a pilot chute 20 feet right under you):o

"How do you like my groin to your foot style?"

When I first started jumping and first got off of student status I had a few people try to tell me that it wasnt safe to start jumping with so many people (2 to 5) that fast. I did it anyway (with experienced jumpers) and it was the best thing I could have ever done. My learning curve was great and it made a HUGE difference in my flying skills fast. It did make me more aware and a safer skydiver for myself and others in the air. When you jump by yourself you learn to many bad habits that your not aware of until you jump with others, and thats the wrong time to find out. I'm still learning myself but my advice to you would be to find a couple of experienced jumpers the will work with you and learn on your belly first. After all, no matter what kind of flying your doing you all ways end up on your belly at pull time.

just my .02 cents

Gravity powered...Air cooled!

Hey. I'm just VERY new to sky diving myself, Because my DZ is really small, I've gotten to know most of the regular jumpers there.
It's really good to talk to more experienced jumpers, and, also good to have the confidence to to stand up for yourself. I got chatting to one awesome guy at my DZ last weekend, I'm looking to buy my first rig (WAA HOO!) and his comments were very useful. Good luck with your RW work. I cant wait to start my B rels and get jumping with others!:)

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

Something I've seen happen at which I still shake my head is getting someone with about 50 jumps with a group of six or so, and then making him/her a diver. They usually get an incredible view of the formation as they pass by. Seems like it would be more beneficial if you put them in the base and make sure they get in the formation first. Then don't do any piece work to increase their experience. But sometimes at a small DZ, you have to do strange things to accomodate.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Suz-- I lived in Townsville for a year, and did pretty much all of my student training in Ayr with the Coral Sea Skydivers. I did a couple of B-rels myself at the DZ in Tully. I was there for an accuracy meet one weekend, I think I had like 35 jumps or something at the time, and instead of hitting the peas like I should have, I overshot by a LOT, landed, and put my canopy in the ONLY tree within a 50 meter radius!! I think they should've given my honorable mention or something with a tree landing in an accuracy meet. :P

Anyway, I completely agree with what's being said so far on this post. Jumping with other people is a MUST. Personally, I'd rather not skydive than go do a solo. Not only will you be able to more accurately assess your skills and improvments jumping with others, you will make FRIENDS! One of the best things about this sport is the rest of junkies that are just like us. Share the addiction while you learn. As for belly skills first, I would tend to agree with that too. I think that it is beneficial for all skydivers to have skills in both freeflying and belly flying. That way, not only are you a safer skydiver, you are a more versitile one. With that versitility of skills, you will be able to participate in more aspects of skydiving, more events, meet more people, and continually be learning more. That's what I do, and it's been working so far! Ed, I'm not sure what Skydive San Diego has going on for new belly flyers (I've never been there, shame on me!! :o), but if you're ever interested, Skydive Elsinore has a free 2-way camp going every weekend for people with jump numbers like you, who are looking to gain some basic body flight skills. I usually help out, so drop me an email sometime when you're thinking of coming up, and I'll make sure you get set up with the right people. (Who knows, you might even be forced to jump with me! ;))

After completing AFF, I've done several solo jumps, and with no point of reference, it's hard to tell what exactly is going on. I was becoming bored with it. This last weekend I jumped with my friend and we tried turning some very basic points. It was a real eye opening experience, as well as being a whole lot of fun.
Over dinner that evening, I spoke with a DZ JM and he suggested doing exactly that to hone our skills. RW is a great way to develope flying skills, and is a prerequisite to freeflying. You've gotta learn to walk before you learn to run!

Also remember that learning to fly on your belly means learning tracking. That's your escape route skill at the end of the jump, and you will want to be stable on your belly at pull time. No one wants line twists. A slight de-arch with hands by your side and as close to your body (as you can fly stably) helps for tracking.

With free-fly, learn to fly sit first as it is easier than head-down (at least to begin). That will always give you a fast-falling recovery position should the head-down not go as planned (help you avoid corking).

Enjoy!
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

and instead of hitting the peas like I should have, I overshot by a LOT, landed, and put my canopy in the ONLY tree within a 50 meter radius!!

HA HA HA! ;)How long ago was this??? My JM told me that I was the only person who has landed in a tree at the Tully DZ! That's it.>:( I'm going to kick his arse!
Damn tree's!B|

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

Who knows, you might even be forced to jump with me!

Ok that's it...no more solo jumps if I can help it. I will never turn down anyone who ask me if I would like to jump with them. My lame ass excuse of geee I'm just a newbie and I'd rather jump alone is done. I will take every opportunity I can get to jump with others. Geeezzz That sounds a little strong but that's the commitment. And I would be honored to jump with you. Cool...all of a sudden I'm really looking forward this.

Thanks Everyone

Blue skies

Ed

you will make FRIENDS!

My new friend! Fuk'n awesome!

Skydive Elsinore has a free 2-way camp going every weekend for people with jump numbers like you,

And it simply rocks. It's a great thing...I did it just recently, and will be going back for a lot more as soon as time and finances allow.

(Who knows, you might even be forced to jump with me! [Wink]

Oh, what, like that's a bad thing? I was there, I saw you grinning. We had fun, and no-one twisted my arms or anything. Actually, jumping with you was perfect - I needed the relaxing jump as the first jump that day.

Mel, you rawk.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

When the opportunity to jump with other comes up (preferrably others who are more skilled or at least the same skill level as you), then take advantage of the situation. But there are other times when jumping alone makes sense.

I still have issues with my head down freeflying as well as transitioning to head down from a sit (my sit is pretty good now). So here I've been on jumps with others, where the plan was to go head down. But for one reason or another, the dive has got to the shits (it could be me, it could be the others I jumping with) and mainly for safety sake I've had to maintain my sit longer than I would have liked. And it's in these sort of circumstances where I'm not getting that valuable head down experience I so much desire. So every once in a while, unless the person is more skilled than I am and they're willing to jump with me head down, I find it more valuable to just do a solo jump and work on my transitions.

You don't want every jump to be a solo, but once in a while it's the only way to work on certain skill sets without distractions.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

(okay, so skysurfing and freestyle don't apply here...).

why not? there always seems to be a video guy with them (if it ain't on video, it didn't happen!) and they fly in very close proximity to each other most of the time.

other than that, great points! i am a very low-number jumper due to seasons and finances and will be starting to jump with people this summer.. can't wait!
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

While i agree that jumping with people makes a great point of reference & they can give you tips, i FULLY think you need to jump by yourself as well.... Like you said, jumping by yourself means there is NO pressure to perform well; it's a way to try EVERYTHING & not worry about knocking out anyone else on the dive --- that's safe skydiving!
Plus, when you start jumping with just 2 other people, you want to stay on level with them/not flail, so you do what you're comfortable with (i.e. sitting)... but if you ALWAYS jump with other people and ALWAYS practice the same skill, you will NEVER learn anything else...
i'd say take it @ your own pace... i mean really, jump #s don't directly correlate with your ability....my personal opinion & experience =)
**HAVE FUN**