mikkey

Which Magazine do you recommend

Hi,

I am thinking of subscribing to a "paper" skydiving magazine - most likely "Skydiving Magazine". Before I fork out the money to get it airmailed down to OZ I would like to know if anyone would recommend this one or any alternative? Which (US or other international) magazine is the best in your opinion?? :)
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Skydiving Magazine is a great little newpaper...beholden to no organization or agenda. I've subscribed for over 20 years and it is still one of the highlights of my month. 5 Stars!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Skydiving Magazine is a great little newpaper...beholden to no organization or agenda. I've subscribed for over 20 years and it is still one of the highlights of my month. 5 Stars!

Seconded. It's nice to have an unbiased mag to read.;)

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

In a lot of ways I enjoy Skydiving over parachutist. Parachutist is very good but 5 stars to Skydiving!

I look forward each month to each! It sucks when they both show up on the same day though, espically if it is within a day or two of the 1st of the month :o

Scott C

"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

"The British skydiving periodical looks really good to me, though I haven't ever seen a paper copy."

The British mag is printed on very high quality paper with quality inks, subsequently, the images look phat, ie really rich with loads of colour (UK spelling;)) depth, a lot better than the US mag, for example which can look a little washed out.
The content is, unsurprisingly UK orientated, with the best of the safety and gear stuff replicated on the site mentioned, but there are plenty of pictures and articles of an international flava
Downside is that it is bi monthly, so only 6 issues a year, mag only subscriptions are available.

Hope this helps.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I think one of the benefits of Skydiving is their more indepth coverage of incidents and mishaps. Parachutist tends to gloss over items, whereas Skydiving will print interviews with people, print names, and print opinions. They do not seem beholden to group members. I feel it is closer to the total truth; a real growth vehicle.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

PARACHUTIST is a decent magazine, but they have a party line to follow.
SKYDIVING has printed more of my articles, so they must have the better magazine.
Seriously, I like the way SKYDIVING covers ALL aspects of parachuting, including those dirty, rotten low-pulling BASE jumpers.

Skydiving is definitely better than Parachutist. If you're just starting out you'll like Parachutist better, becasue of all the pix. They're a little limited as to subject matter, though. Skydiving has better information (not biased), and more of it.

I get 'em both, but - like the others have said - find Skydiving to be less biased, and more inclusive of all aspects of the sport.

If you're not in the USPA, a large percentage of Parachutist won't interest you anyway.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

I've never seen a single issue of Parachutist, but I get Skydiving since September. It seems that they have more of the events coverage, statistics, etc., but few articles. I thought Parachutist was more of a magazine than a newspaper like Skydiving, with more articles like those we have on dz.com more pages, and so on. But if you guys are saying P is the same, and even follows the "party line", then I don't really need it?
But then again, by the time I'll be getting my license, I'll have to be a USPA member, and the subscription to P will be added auto.

Seriously, I like the way SKYDIVING covers ALL aspects of parachuting, including those dirty, rotten low-pulling BASE jumpers.

I'm new to skydiving so enlighten me please: is there some kind of small unofficial tension between skydivers and BASErs? Do they kinda dislike each other? I mean in the same way as Northerners and Southerners in America, or French and English?

If you're not in the USPA, a large percentage of Parachutist won't interest you anyway.

A large percentage of what's in Parachutist bores me, even though I AM in USPA. It's mostly self-aggrandizing propagand once you get past the letters and "this just in" sections, IMHO.

I don't think there is too much animosity between skydivers and base jumpers as most of the base guys are jumpers also, it has been my experience that more DZO's and DZM's (not ALL, only some) seem to take exception to base jumping. I repeat, not ALL. I probably will not make a base jump but I will not rule it out either.