jitsoa33

reserve + main stunt?

Landing a two-out is done without incident all of the time, but most of those are malfunctions where the reserve was accidentally released. If it was done intentionally, I would suspect that the jumper was using a triple rig, with two releasable "mains" and a reserve. Hooknswoop has done a few test jumps in which he succesfully flew two mains together.

Landing a two-out is done without incident all of the time, but most of those are malfunctions where the reserve was accidentally released. .

Who would wanna LAND a two-out intentionally ??

I dont belive anyone has done that intentionally, or am I wrong ?

I dont belive anyone has done that intentionally, or am I wrong ?

Once you get past the opening, things are much more predictable.... if they get out & into a stable bilpane you're basically ok so long as you're gentle with them & only steer the dominant canopy. remember you've basically then got double (or better) the square footage over your head... makes for a slow descent, and i've seen people stand up a no-flare biplane on student gear.

-jerm

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

I have landed a bi-plane and a side-by-side intentionally. Curisoity mainly. Having played w/ 2 out situations, it helps me to teach others how to deal w/ 2 canopies out. For example, if there is a good wind, say 12 mph (which is within the USPA 14 mph max for students) with 2 canopies out, a student will probably be backing up. That is a lot of fabric making for a very low wing loading.

Hook

I have landed a bi-plane and a side-by-side intentionally. Curisoity mainly. Having played w/ 2 out situations, it helps me to teach others how to deal w/ 2 canopies out. For example, if there is a good wind, say 12 mph (which is within the USPA 14 mph max for students) with 2 canopies out, a student will probably be backing up. That is a lot of fabric making for a very low wing loading.

Hook

Sweet !! In a scale from 1 to 10 , How scared were you ? ?

Personally Im propably most scared of two-out situations, when comparing to horse-shoes or other mal-funtions. But then again I have never even seen a two-out situation live, so I wouldn´t know how the canopies behave.

[replyOnce you get past the opening, things are much more predictable.... if they get out & into a stable bilpane you're basically ok so long as you're gentle with them & only steer the dominant canopy. remember you've basically then got double (or better) the square footage over your head... makes for a slow descent, and i've seen people stand up a no-flare biplane on student gear.

-jerm

That would be steer with the lead canopy when flying a bi-plane and steer with the dominant (usually the larger of the two) canopy when flying a side-by-side I am pretty sure.

That would be steer with the lead canopy when flying a bi-plane and steer with the dominant (usually the larger of the two) canopy when flying a side-by-side I am pretty sure.

correct... the lead canopy in a biplane is the dominant one AFAIK:)

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

What about if you fly a pocket rocket (ie. vx-79 and a pd-113r). Cut away one or land both without flaring

Who knows? It may fly fine together, they may entangle right away, they may fly ok, then entangle. There are no guarantees, especially with smaller canopies. I plan on doing more 2-out test jump w/ smaller canopies. I believe it has a lot to do line length, trim, brake settings, etc.

Hook

I hope I'm never in that situation, BUT, if I had 2 out, and they were flying okay, I wouldn't cut away -- thos released risers could easily snag somthing on my reserve as they rise past it. Now if I had a downplane, that's a different story....

here's a link to PD/PIA's research on what to do when you're flying two:

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/dualsq.pdf

I had two out once that stabilized into a bi-plane.

I've only ever had nightmares about two mals and a downplane was one of them. What they don't teach you in first-jump course is that the rear canopy in a bi-plane will buffet due to turbulence from the lead canopy. I saw the rear canopy bucking around and thought the canopy was going unstable prior to downplanning.

"Screw this," I thought as I yanked the cut-away pillow. I then had the distinct displeasure of watching my right main risers tangle in the cascades of my reserve and start to collapse it. I remember thinking, "well damn! I just killed myself." but luckily the risers popped free after about a second and a half.

Definatley made for a memorable 50th jump.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

wow, that was on your 50th jump!?

No, they don't tell you about that. I'd never thought about it, but it makes perfect sense. I had a buddy who landed a biplane a couple years ago, and he didn't mention it. maybe he thought it was his heart pounding. :P

Glad it turned out okay for you!

I have read a lot about 2 square out situation.
I have also seen some video, not sure where.
This is my understanding of 2 squares out.
Big student gear is less likely to kill you but still
can.
Small main/reserve very dangerous.
Landing side by side and bi-plane very dangerous..
can turn to down plane in a heart beat...just as you
make some final adjustment for landing.
Cutting away bi-plane or side by side again very dangerous...main risers twist/recoil and like to grab reserve risers below slider and haul slider up the reserve.
Cutaway down plane...good idea!
2 squares out bad idea...my advice is to avoid this
at all costs.
I don't believe people think about this enough.

mike's 2 cents.
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.