stylin

Cutaway

Specifically your attitudes that you know exactly what you're going to do, even though you obviously haven't had the training or experience to come to that conclusion. Also, your general attitude towards the sport. That sort of attitude kills people in this sport. Basically there are two outcomes of a skydive: 1) you live, 2) you die.

Now, if you would like to specifically point out to me exactly which posts of mine I need to look at first, please, link them. I will be happy to read my posts again and if my attitudes are of such that I will probably get killed skydiving, then I will gladly retract my statement.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Specifically your attitudes that you know exactly what you're going to do, even though you obviously haven't had the training or experience to come to that conclusion. Also, your general attitude towards the sport. That sort of attitude kills people in this sport. Basically there are two outcomes of a skydive: 1) you live, 2) you die.

Now, if you would like to specifically point out to me exactly which posts of mine I need to look at first, please, link them. I will be happy to read my posts again and if my attitudes are of such that I will probably get killed skydiving, then I will gladly retract my statement.

There you go again. Read my other post about bickering. Why dont you stop thinking about getting killed skydiving and start thinking about not getting killed skydiving. You sounded to me like you were worried about something and I was trying to talk you ouit of it until you decided to start getting rude again. If you cant be polite, then dont reply to my postings, its that simple. I dont need to point these out to you, you know what you were saying.

You seem to think I have this "bad attitude" towards skydiving, so if thats the way it is, then maybe youd like to explain why I keep thinking about it until Im back at the DZ once again.

Dont ask me to explain it, I still dont know. There are two basic outcomes of going surfing, you live, you drown. There are two ouitcomes of driving a car, you get to where youre going, or you crash.

Think Im trying to be funny? The day after the "static line incident", which I guess you might know about from previoius postiings, I had a car accident, where I almost rammed into the front end of another going 40 mph.

Did I panic? Nope, in a split second, I thought, run over the curb and miss his car, over the curb I went, through a cactus, and back down, adrenaline pumping furiously. The outcome, small dent in my car, fender bender in his, noone hurt. Then he gets out and complements me on my driving ability.

What do you think my attitude is going to do on a skydiving accident? On the static line, I didnt have time to think, just time to realize I was in serious trouble. Thats pretty much the way it was, not enough time to figure it out. It went way too quick. That was why I paniced. It was because I wasnt arching properly, bad exit, so that happened.

The outcome. The next jump, tandem-2 at another DZ, the instructor complained that I arched so hard I was breaking his back, but said I had a really great exit. That was my attitude. So what do you think about my attitude now?

So what do you think about my attitude now?

as i said in another thread, its pretty adversarial and comes off as if you already "have all the answers you need" which is never very conducive to learning, and how well you learn has a direct bearing on surviving a skydive

nothing in surfing (with the possible exception of tow in to some of those monsters in HI) can have as direct and immediate consequences to your life span as every single jump does.

please listen to your instructors with a more open attitude than the one youve displayed here..

good luck, i hope you dont need it..

Threre are a lot of postings on this subject, and on this day I can say that Ive made a lot of progress and mentally accomplished something. And thats only because of all the positive participation of several people here and the time they put into it. This got into some pretty serious issues, the life threatening one especially, and came up with some pretty good videos on a spin and cutaway.

I feel a hell of a lot more confident for one, and I can tell you that is going to have a real impact, a positive one, on the near and distant future. Lot of info has been going around.

If this needs to branch out any furthur, then lets create another subject and wrap this one up because this already has a pretty massive amount of postings, any more and its going to be too hard for anyone to keep up with.

This is a pretty massive subject, and with all the info going back and forth, I think we''ve only touched the tip of the iceberg on cutaways.

I need to cutaway from this computer and go home, today Ive been doing too many cutaways from work so have a lot to catch up on tomorrow. Then Ill cutaway from Phoenix this weekend and go out to the DZ, next week Ill be doing a cutaway so I can go on vacation. Im going crazy with this cutaway shit.

So what do you think about my attitude now?

as i said in another thread, its pretty adversarial and comes off as if you already "have all the answers you need" which is never very conducive to learning, and how well you learn has a direct bearing on surviving a skydive

nothing in surfing (with the possible exception of tow in to some of those monsters in HI) can have as direct and immediate consequences to your life span as every single jump does.

please listen to your instructors with a more open attitude than the one youve displayed here..

good luck, i hope you dont need it..

Your point taken into consideration, but I dont think I have that type of attitude, so if you are reading that then Im afraid you are reading that incorrectly.

I listen to the instructors pretty well, thats why when they suggested I dont go up with a cold, I didnt argue the point. On luck, if I ever do need it I hope I get it.

As I said, the subject is jam packed with posts, so lets go to another subject if we need to branch off, we dont want this one getting more flooded than it already is. Its starting to branch off alot and that gets confusing for anyone who wants to read through.

Here's a suggestion: "Attitude towards skydiving", Il let you start that one.

***This is a pretty massive subject, and with all the info going back and forth, I think we''ve only touched the tip of the iceberg on cutaways. ***

Oh my god :S....really?

Fab is shouting :"We want more, we want more, we want more". Tomorrow part 2/255 of this exciting documentary/discussion about cutaways....that's 255 days left people :P

I"m rolling on the floor laughing...sorry about that B|

***This is a pretty massive subject, and with all the info going back and forth, I think we''ve only touched the tip of the iceberg on cutaways. ***

Oh my god :S....really?

Fab is shouting :"We want more, we want more, we want more". Tomorrow part 2/255 of this exciting documentary/discussion about cutaways....that's 255 days left people :P

I"m rolling on the floor laughing...sorry about that B|

Nooooooooo!!! Im gonna be doing cutaways in my sleep! Lets cutaway from talking about cutaways before I cutaway from my sanity and end up being some deranged sort of cutaway freak in some cutaway asylum who cant stop talking about cutaways!

Well, technically, you brought it up to begin with . . . so it's your own dang fault. ;)

Anyway, if you just ignore this thread and don't post to it any further, it will eventually just go away.

Oh yeah, one more thing . . . and this goes for everyone involved . . . we don't cotton much to threats 'round these here parts. It's in the rules and everything. So, saying things like, "I might run into you one day and be your worst nightmare" or words to that effect aren't really the brightest things we can do to show what great folks we all are. So, cut it out and we (the Moderators) won't have to do things like bannin' y'all so often.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well, technically, you brought it up to begin with . . . so it's your own dang fault. ;)

Anyway, if you just ignore this thread and don't post to it any further, it will eventually just go away.

Thats because Im a raving lunatic. Dont encourage me any furthur. And dont say "that word".

***Nooooooooo!!! Im gonna be doing cutaways in my sleep! Lets cutaway from talking about cutaways before I cutaway from my sanity and end up being some deranged sort of cutaway freak in some cutaway asylum who cant stop talking about cutaways! ***

Sorry dude, too late for that :P

Stylin,

Are you saying that you would attempt to physically beat up someone for an ideological disagreement?

At 43? Ho Ho. How have you managed to grow so old with instant violence always an option?

I've never met Aggie - but he's a skydiver - and that makes him family even though I may not agree with everything he says.

You have a long way to go to brotherhood/sisterhood. 1SL? The sperm ain't even out of the dick!:D Have a look at the profiles of the people you're asking for "some" credit. You're so deep in debt you may never get back out.

Bowling sounds good. Golf better.

t

It's the year of the Pig.

I must admit that this is again, one of the MOST entertaining threads I have ever read. Second, of course to his previous on in General Discussions. Is this guy for real????

I feel really bad for his AFF instructors this weekend, almost half inclined to call up Eloy and give them a heads up. As an AFF instructor, I would seriously consider wether I would teach this person. I think that he may be a full on danger to himself and others...nevermind he would be a major pain in the ass to teach.

-Dolemite

"Officially disapproved by the man"

Thats because Im a raving lunatic. Dont encourage me any furthur. And dont say "that word".

admitting it is half the battle. now if you want your thread to go away, stop posting.

have you thought about the previously suggested sport of Bowling?

for once i'm glad i'm not in Eloy. Zenister, um... nevermind, i'll PM you.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Bowling sounds good. Golf better.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Although, I now only golf in the rain, and bowling is reserved for the sub zero Wisconsin winters. ;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

we don't cotton much to threats 'round these here parts. It's in the rules and everything. So, saying things like, "I might run into you one day and be your worst nightmare" or words to that effect aren't really the brightest things we can do to show what great folks we all are. So, cut it out and we (the Moderators) won't have to do things like bannin' y'all so often.

But Paul. It's so much fun to ban people. You oughta try it sometime. You might be lucky enough to get a cool hate PM from the bannee that says something like "why don't you get a life," kinda like I did earlier this week when a certain person wouldn't listen to the warnings he was given in another forum and had his posting privilege there removed.

Basicly you pull high enough for you to decide if you have a landable main chute, or if you have to cutaway and land your reserve. I have 420 jumps with no cutaways but (i'd like to think) im ready for one every time. I pull high enough to not need to rush to a decision, Thats why practicing and muscle memory of emergency procedures are very important. Thats why students pull at 5500.

Thats what I have in mind, but 5500 is a little high isnt it? Dont forget, youre supposed to be having fun so you want enough freefall time. They tell us its going to be at 4000. At the amaller DZ, they were dropping us at 3000 for static lines.

I think some people get more into parachuting than diving, that would be fine for that. To me its just there to break the fall and get you on the ground in one piece, not real interested in that part of it as far as doing 360s or whatever.

I already made the decision to get an audible altimeter and use it with a wrist altimeter, but Id still want to be pretty conservative about opening high enough because of what you just said.

Sorry, I've tried really hard to stay out of all of this mess. However, I have to jump in here as nobody else has addressed this yet. If you are doing AFF, you will be pulling at 5500 to start with. Too high? Tough shit! It's not about what you would rather be doing, and as a student, it is most CERTAINLY not about enjoying the freefall for as long as you can!!!!! As you have hopefully figured out by now, people new to the sport need more time to figure out what is going on and properly handle the situation. Case in point: my husband did his first 3500 pull at around 25 jumps. He had severe line twist problems that had not been resolved by hard deck. Result: cutaway. Had he pulled at 4000 even, he probably would have been out of the twists by hard deck. Anyway, getting back to my point, as you progress, you gradually lower your opening altitude. Students and A-license holders have a maximum opening of 3000. But during your progression, you work down to that. Static line is a whole other story, but you said you are going AFF. Also have to quickly address the part about not wanting to do 360's, etc. You will HAVE to! Learning to fly your canopy is the most important part of a skydive! And as such, you will have to learn to do certain maneuvers while a student, whether you want to or not. Oh yeah, most DZ's won't let a student wear an audible either. You have to develop your own altitude awareness, not start out relying on an audible.

Now, to my real point here: After my first jump, once I knew I was going to be getting into the sport, I also came here to get more infomation. I, however, did follow the guidelines and lurked for several months before making a post. Searches are great to find information that you are looking for that has most likely already been addressed. I also did as you have apparently done and found videos to watch. However, most importantly, and what I have not seen you mention, I bought myself a copy of the SIM and started reading it (if you were doing this, you would not be questioning the 5500 deployment altitude). (One of my pet peeves is people going through the progression without bothering to ever pick up a SIM to see what they are supposed to be learning! You are paying enough for it, be proactive in your training for God's sake!) I also bought a copy of Understanding the Skydive as well as Parachuting: The Skydiver's Handbook. I immersed myself in these resources and gleaned every bit of information that I could. I then relied on the instruction that I was getting during my progression, and when I had my cutaway on my 3rd AFF jump, I had no trouble distinguishing what I needed to do, even though I had never had to ask detailed questions of the dz.commers about cutaways, because of the reading that I had done (and specifically Michele's account). So I guess my real bottom line point is, we have 2 ears and one mouth for a reason...to talk less, listen more, and learn and absorb!

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

I dont have any problem admitting it, yea I was chicken shit, because its the plain and simple truth, I just didnt show it. Even the young chicks there that day were braver than I was, they took it like it was nothing.

Typical. IN my short time of experience working with students, I have learned that generally the girls can keep their cool better than the guys (especially the really big guys who feel they can handle any situation). I have a saying: "the bigger they are, the harder they cry on the ride to altitude."

Once you've been around the sport for a while, you'll see that everybody's freaked out when they start jumping. And that's normal. it's scary shit, jumping out of planes, especially when you don't know a thing about it. But ain't it fun....:P

Hi Jim - Sorry about the golf... but here in Africa - the only chance of not jumping is the wind - and that only happens in August - between the 18th and the 30th. It's quite consistant, but is sometimes a day or 2 late - at least over the last 18 years...;)

t

It's the year of the Pig.

Dude,a few days ago you said you were finished
with dz.com..I thought you were afraid of your
instructors catching you on the internet seeking
advice:S
There are things you can take,to regulate
your seratonin levels....Just a thought:)

... I have learned that generally the girls can keep their cool better than the guys (especially the really big guys who feel they can handle any situation)

Yep...that about sums it up...the girls pay attention
during instruction cause the want to do it right and they know it's dangerous. The guys joke around untill
I open the door...and then the fun begins.
...mike
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.