CrazyIvan

Picking up your deployed canopy

I daisy chain the lines when the canopy is too big to comfortably carry slung over my shoulder. Which has been every canopy until my current one. It gives you less stuff to concentrate on bringing the canopy back.

Just make a loop with the whole hank of lines, twist it, put your hand through it, grab the lines (which should be straight between you and the canopy), and pull them back through.

Repeat as needed, each time using the loop you just made from the line you pulled through. I don't know of any cons other than it takes longer than slinging it over your shoulder.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Once I've landed, the first thing I do is set my brakes. I see jumpers all the time walking back to the hanger with their toggles flopping around, which leads to twisted brake lines, which leads to tension knots. Make it a habit to atleast stow the toggles before you walk in, and if time and safety permit, set your brakes right thier in the field when you land. It takes 20 seconds and will keep your brake lines from getting spun up.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

I have seen that some skydivers 'daisy chain' How is it done? Basicallly a Hitch/Slip knot followed by passing a"loop"through the eye the of the first loop created by the Hitch knot,then passing another loop through the eye created by the first loop and so on until you reach desired length of 'daisy chain.

Any Pros, Cons?No cons,other than it takes longer than than 'S'ing your lines.Pros,looks good.P.S. I'm a computer illiterate!
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

I only Daisy Chain on the last jump of the weekend. I like to look at my Canopy after a weekend or week of jumping to make sure it is in good shape.

Setting the brakes on landing is definitely a good idea but you should still periodically check them to make sure that they have not been twisted. It can take away from your flare.

It is just a loop and pull through. once you get to the canopy use the slider to keep it all together. At least that is what I do.

Blue Skies,
KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!! B|

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Setting your brakes on the dropzone works fine IF you PRO pack. If you roll, stack, flop, whatever, then you don't set the brakes until late in the packjob (if you are smart). Just putting the tip of the toggle in the upper keeper will do fine for keeping your brakelines untwisted. That being said, I PRO pack and never set my brakes on the dropzone. I get the fuck out of the landing area so as not to create a hazard to fellow jumpers. You can bullshit with your brakes when you are out of harms way.

Chuck

Daisy chaining the lines will make them wear out slightly faster if you land on grass and a bit faster still if you land on dirt.

I stow the brakes, coil the lines, grab the tail and hold all of that in one hand, then with the other hand, starting at the tail end, I push the excess air out of the canopy, pick up the d-bag and pilot chute and walk in. Pushing out the excess air makes the canopy easier to control and it will feel lighter (in fact it is) since it presents less surface area for the wind to catch.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

As a student, I was taught to set my brakes, then daisy-chain my lines to keep them from tangling on the walk in from the student landing area- but that was back in the day of Dacron lines on F-111 canopies; today's micro-lines are almost as easy to just gather/control in large loops-

Brokeneagle.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says... he is giving me a reputation I do not deserve!

jess-since when do you land close to the packing room?

If this weren't a topical forum, your eyes would be bleeding right now from the abuse I'd have typed.

Er, to make this legal, I think coiling is a faster way to get one's hiney out of the landing area. Not that I know what the landing area is like.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I coil'em up pick up the d-bag and pilot and walk to the packing area. Since I got velcro toggle keepers [:/] i just put the handles on the velcro to keep all tidy and not having the velcro fraying up lines.
I still take out the twists in my breaklines every time I pack. Adds 15 sekonds more to the pack job, so why not?

If I land out I daisy chain the lines and puts the slider in the last loop so that it doesn't come loose. much easier to handle the canoppy that way.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

To each there own I suppose. I prefer to stand still (setting brakes) while others land, as opposed to leaving the landing area while others are landing. I've seen too many jumpers walking across the field in the direct path of a landing jumper. You might be heads up walking in, but not everyone is. To me it's safer to stay put until everyone is down. (Granted with the size of canopy your jumping you could probably land, pack and have a snack before the rest of the load lands, but for most jumpers.....lol, landing within a group, I still think it's safer to stand still.

I get the fuck out of the landing area so as not to create a hazard to fellow jumpers. You can bullshit with your brakes when you are out of harms way.

who's steering that parachute again????

I set my brakes and daisy chain right there on the spot...I dont want to walk in front of landing jumpers...I dont like to play dodge the swooper's...I think I'm much safer staying put. plus I gotta wait till my honey makes it down so I can get the smooch;):P;):P

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Student canopies with dacron lines are fine to daisy chain but who here has tried it with micro lines? To me it seems to take FOREVER cos there so damn small! I still daisy chain if I land out especially if i'm landing with someone's gear after a chop, etc. as there's less of a chance of gear tangling up and all that. (granted thats only happened once :P)

Hi There,

Daisy chaining can be a good way to prevent a rig getting tangled in transit - or in your gear bag.

I don't use it - I jump a 107, so its 2 loops and grab the bridle and walk.. and my rig is packed right after every jump - always.

t
It's the year of the Pig.