Nutz

Skydiving Dangerous?

I often tell new jumpers or people I am talking to about Skydiving that the most dangerous thing is the ride to the airport.

I thought I ride home from the airport was even more dangerous.

I don't know any skydivers that were killed driving to or from the airport.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Dude,
We don't tell the newbies what goes on after jumping. If we did, they would never come out. But, the ride home can be way more dangerous than skydiving. The whole drinking and driving shit. That is why one of our pilots just flies home after he's had a couple beers. Less cops.

John D-24352

There is no simple answer to that question, except for that skydiving is generally more dangerous. There are numerous things that can affect the assessment of the risk, however. Your driver classification, your credit rating, your location, how much you drive, when you drive, the type of car you drive, if you use a seatbelt, etc etc. If enough of those factors are bad, you may have a greater risk of dying while driving than while skydiving. It's difficult to assess one's exact risk as a skydiver, since the data really isn't there.

However, I'm guessing that many of the factors that assess your risk as a driver could probably be used to assess your risk as a skydiver. For example, people with crappy credit ratings are labeled as irresponsible and their driving records show that. I'm guessing (I wish I had the data to actually look into it) that people with crappy credit ratings (since they are irresponsible) probably skydive that way, too.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

My SOP is to always do a gear check for people getting in the plane and I get one myself. One good one for sure at the beginning of the day.

That's a good procedure. But it wouldn't have helped in the incident they're talking about - unless you routinely inspect the grommets on the main and reserve closing flaps to be sure they are set deep enough to not be able to snag a line.

That's a good procedure. But it wouldn't have helped in the incident they're talking about - unless you routinely inspect the grommets on the main and reserve closing flaps to be sure they are set deep enough to not be able to snag a line.

Why couldn't they have made it part of their pack job to check those things? I do. It falls into the same boat as checking the closing loop for wear, clearing the material from the ring on the bottom of the bag, etc. It would just take a few extra seconds and would save a world of hurt. IMHO.

John D-24352

I often tell new jumpers or people I am talking to about Skydiving that the most dangerous thing is the ride to the airport.

I thought I ride home from the airport was even more dangerous.

I don't know any skydivers that were killed driving to or from the airport.

I DO!
Back in '76, my 1st jump instructor go creamed going home from the DZ....
...just a few short hours (and shots!) after I made my first S/L!!!
...Things that make ya go HUMMMMMMMM!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Why couldn't they have made it part of their pack job to check those things? I do.

When did you learn to pack? If it was after January 2000, this incident is likely why you were taught to check the grommets for proper seating instead of just for burrs. Prior to this incident jumpers didn't worry about the seating of grommets too much.

I prefer to rephrase the whole concept when people ask me about the risks. Something like this:

This is extremely dangerous, particularly because of the speed at which things can and will go wrong during the skydive and the forces involved. But, with the proper equipment, training, and attitude (and I comment on how attitude is very important) the risks can be reduced to a more acceptable level. The majority of injuries and fatalities in this sport are a result of the error, carelessness, or cocky attitude of the skydive and not the equipment that is involved.

The majority of injuries and fatalities in this sport are a result of the error, carelessness, or cocky attitude of the skydive and not the equipment that is involved.

But on occasion, even after doing everything right, shit happens and you can still die.

I learned to pack in like 1998. I packed for my dad before I even started skydiving. He is probly the reason for me being so safe when it comes to gear, packing, and other equipment. I learned how to pack so even if it wasn't the best pack job, it was still better than every other pack job at the DZ. Packing is something you can't slack on.

I don't pack to make the jump, I pack to make the jump after the jump.

My previous response didn't mean it is necessary to take out your reserve every day you jump, but atleast look at what you can see under the reserve flap.

John D-24352

But on occasion, even after doing everything right, shit happens and you can still die.

Absolutely true. It should be said loudly in every first jump course.

But the thing is, the same is true of driving. (And lots of other things) Some drunk idiot can kill you as even if you've done everything you can to avoid an accident.

Life will kill you. The only question is how.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

This is an interesting thread to read after a weekend on the Nürburgring. My bf is a driver, a total afficianado of extremely fast cars, and thinks I'm nuts because of the desire to skydive. Maybe a better comparison would be skydiving vs. racing.
The ring in Nürburg allows anybody (read ANYBODY) on their track as long as the vehicle goes over 65km/hr. That is not fast. People have done it on motor scooters.
Most people, however, are in Porsches or BMWs. We did it a few times in a Mercedes and holy carp! I left sweat puddles on whatever I was holding on to. I'll jump out of a plane three times for every time around that track (which means I need to go out and skydive at least six times before I go back to Nürburg. Those people are nuts!)

When walking up to an officer, it is not advisable to say, "Trick or Donut." Seriously.

i actually had the opportunity to look at the numbers that this claim is based off of. From a quick look, it would seem that Driving to the Airport is in fact safer than skydiving, but as a Stats Major, let me say that a person could spend hours fumbling with these numbers before a remotely safe conclusion could be made on way or another. Maybe they could plug it into a computer, but basic logic says that even this could not account for the literally thousands of categorial variables that go into the scheme.

-sds
"So, a Polar bear walks into a bar. the bar tender sayz "whats your drink" and the bear goes..........................................................................................................................................................................................."I'll have a coke" the bartender sayz "Whats with the big paws!!!"""

I kill me
=========Shaun ==========

OK I am opening up a BIG can of worms here but here goes:

When properly executed, skydiving is safer than driving your car.

Have fun!!

Of course it is!

If your car has bald tires, bad brakes and you are taking it down the mountain on a road without guard rails to get more whiskey since you used all you had left to wash down a Quaalude, driving is much more dangerous.

OTOH, skydiving is an activity which involves committing suicide repeatedly, and changing your mind at the last moment each time. You'd have to be a pretty lousy driver to have the same risk of horrific injury or death that is an unfortunate part of skydiving.

I know a lot of people who drive all the time, but have lost way more friends to the sport than on the road. Like it or not, that's the way it is, and denial is a poor survival mechanism.

Blue skies,

Winsor