headdown tandem pic

here's a pic of that head down tandem someone mentioned i think off the back of a thread in Incidents (this is not connected to any incident i should add, i just found this on a site someone said i should check to find a pic of a tandem in headdown because i was curious to see if they existed. Well i guess they do!)

http://www.skydiveamericapb.com/you-jumped/photos/00000003-00.jpg

I wonder if this passenger was experienced or what? Anyone know?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Maybe they should blur out the faces. Don't want to be recognized and possibly get a tandem rating pulled, or do they?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Don't want to be recognized and possibly get a tandem rating pulled, or do they?

who ever said you can't take a tandem head down??

do i think it is the smartest thing to do, no, but i haven't ever read where it says no. if they won't let you do that, then they shouldn't let you take it to tandem terminal either.

correct me if i'm wrong please.:)
later

"Wow they have a nice website. "

Didn't I hear somewhere they had closed, which is a real shame cos it was a nice place!:S[:/]

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Jump Shack Position on Head Down Tandems
5/6/1998
The Jump Shack, in response to a recently published letter concerning Head Down Tandem Skydiving takes the following position.

We view Head Down Student Tandem the same as we would Head Down AFF. It is unnecessary and not in the best interest of giving the student an educational experience.

However, we have no problem with two experienced skydivers performing this feat. We have evaluated the speeds at which this maneuver is executed and believe that they are well within the functional/structural range of our equipment. We have investigated reports of drogue damage and cannot substantiate them. We have received no drogues for repair from any customers and have supplied no replacement or repaired drogues to Skydive Hawaii.

We strongly recommend that every precaution be taken if two experienced jumpers were to perform this feat. An opening shock at the speed of head down would be detrimental to the jumpers. However, we believe the equipment would take it.

http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=TANDEM&PageID=TANDHEADDOWN&SortBy=TITLE_A

I could have sworn that each Tandem Manufacturer recommended not to do it, but i've spent the last 30 minutes searching RWS, Strong and USPA websites with no luck.... So I guess the above note about "safe" but not necessarily recommended answers the question of "is it allowed?"

Blue Skies
Weaves

USPA BSR E.4.e.(3): "Intentional back-to-earth or vertical orientations that cause tandem freefall speeds exceeding that of droguefall are prohibited."

This is in the section on student skydivers, so head-down jumps with experienced skydivers are not specifically prohibited.

Mark

who ever said you can't take a tandem head down??

do i think it is the smartest thing to do, no, but i haven't ever read where it says no. if they won't let you do that, then they shouldn't let you take it to tandem terminal either.

correct me if i'm wrong please.

In the BSRs E.4.e.(3), it says:

Intentional back-to-earth or vertical orientations that cause tandem freefall speeds exceeding that of droguefall are prohibited.

Edit: Aw, you beat me to it, Mark! :D

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

This is in the section on student skydivers, so head-down jumps with experienced skydivers are not specifically prohibited.

It is under "Other tandem jumps," and not "Tandem training jumps," which leads me to believe they're talking about ANY tandem. 'Course I can see how you could use your logic as a loophole; it makes sense.

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

The BSR has been quoted, a couple of times. From RW's Tandem user agreement:

6. Buyer agrees that it shall not use the Tandem Parachute System in violation of
any FARs, or other federal, state, municipal, or other governmental regulations,
or any United States Parachute Association Basic Safety Requirements (BSRs).

It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

It is under "Other tandem jumps," and not "Tandem training jumps," which leads me to believe they're talking about ANY tandem. 'Course I can see how you could use your logic as a loophole; it makes sense.

It's not just a loophole; it's there deliberately, so tandem instructor candidates can do their tandem terminal jump, where the drogue throw is delayed. I did one earlier this year, and we got to 179 mph belly-to-earth before the drogue was tossed, definitely exceeding the speed of normal droguefall.

Mark

I just spent six months jumping in France where I got a VHS tape of a head down tandem that reached 362 kms/hour (187 miles/hour). Unfortunately I only have the jump on VHS so I cannot share it (cost me 20 dollars to convert it from European to North American format). It was the first jump for the student but you can clearly see that he is having alot of fun.

Take it from someone who has deployed a bunch of PD 360 mains at tandem terminal - on Vector Is that were built before drogues were introduced - they open so hard that they hurt!
I have also deployed one Strong tandem reserve at (belly) tandem terminal. I saw stars for three minutes after opening!
The thought of deploying a tandem reserve while headown terrifies me!

The only excuse for doing anything other than stable exits - on your belly - is during the early phases of training new tandem instructors.

Any other time it is just "high risk, low return foolishness."

Been there, done that, got the bruises, cannot understand why anyone else would want to take the risk.

It is closed until the new owners opens it.
i believe it's Carolina Skysports owner.
As it says on the web site:

Skydiving News
Content of this page has been originated by miscellaneous souces.
Such sources are mentioned per each news piece.

Carolina Sky Sports now in charge of the drop zone

As of March 15th, Carolina Sky Sports takes control of the administration at Skydive America Palm Beach. For more information regarding ongoing variations and future developments, please call 1-800-BLUESKY and ask for Rocky.
(Sources: Carolina Sky Sports)

Not only closed and unlikely to open again. They hangar are in Countys property under residential Zonification not commercial, They broke several fire department laws, remember the club house was not able to open or sell any food, the kitchens in the bunk house were taking out. Carolina sky want the cocession for the airport just to start thinking about making another drop zone were Skydive X-TREME is now, were some of the unpaid skydivers from skydive Ameria are working now.
Everything is a shame, if ever gonna be a history of freefly , Skydive America should be include as the most progressive drop zone ever. And those that spend time there know that.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html