andy2

What do your parents think of your skydiving?

My first jump (this January) was witnessed only by my dad, and he sure as hell wasn't happy about it. But others seem to understand. My mom keeps saying the same thing: that I shouldn't do it cos it's dangerous, but that she always had wanted to try it herself.
Anyway I'm 18 now, so noone can tell me not to skydive. Good thing.B|

My former classmates seem to be amazed by what I'm doing and even respect me more, and certainly girls have more interest in me now. Sort of a change of image, from that of a book-worm, which I'd been known for back in school... But girls never seem to be interested in me no matter what, and I have no freakin' idea what to do about it... Ah, whatever.
Back to skydiving... I think the majority of my future friends will be skydivers, and my future girlfrield will also be one. ;)

"I dont think thats a very dignified way to begin your married life." My mom said that when we told them we would be getting married in freefall. So, then they come to the wedding, love it, and now send me articles and such on skydiving. And, brag that thier son's wedding hit national news....hehehehehehe

My parents were very supportive of it when I first started. My dad even spent 3 years jumping with me. Then he had 3 reserve rides, the last one with my mom watching from the ground, and he stopped (due to extreme protesting from my mom). They support me, but of course they worry. They are excited when I am and are way cool "whuffo" parents! Mom even points out when something is "skydivey." Hahaha! :D

Well, my mom is paying for my first jump as a birthday present this year. Her exact words?

"If that's what you want then ok. Just so long as I can wait on the ground for you because I am NOT coming down with you!"

Gonna try to get my sister to do her first jump with me that day also. ;)

Yeah, it's fine, we'll walk down the line. Leave our rain, a cold trade for warm sunshine
You my friend, I will defend... and if we change, well, I love you anyway

At first my parents didn't like it at all, but I guess they got used to it over the years.

In general I've noticed that parents seem to get less worked up over their kids skydiving after visiting the dz and watching how it is. Many parents (as well as others of course) have an idea of how horrible skydiving is, that can be pretty far from reality.

My mom made a tandem when she was 66 years old. She went with my then husband and I docked on them. She patted my face and gave me a kiss in freefall!
I've taken two of my sisters tandem and two neices/nephews. Now that I've retired from tandems some of my younger nephews really want to jump.
My mom visits for the winter - and babysits at the dropzone while I jump. Can't get much more supportive than that - well, unless I can teach her to pack my main....
;)

My parents are pretty cool about it. My father is constantly texting me while I am at the dropzone to see how I am coming along with my AFF. I dragged him along to the DZ once. Although I didnt quite manage to throw him out of the plane....he really enjoyed the atmosphere!
The rest of my family are really great too.:)

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

My parents support it 100% In fact, my dad even wants to jump! They know that i have wanted to do it for such a long time, so now that i have started jumping, they support it and they are happy for me. Now that i am beginning to go through AFF they are helping me out with cost and are interested in coming out to the DZ and watching. Of course my mom is nervous about it, but she still supports it and thinks its cool

*daizey*

My parents are split down the middle. My Mom on one side HATES the fact that i jump, but understands that i love it and it makes me happy. My dad is 100% for it! he even came out to Elsinore and did a Tandem with me when i did my first!! He scuba dives as well. My mom didn't even come to the DZ when dad and I did our tandems. I so wanted her to see the look on my face when i got down!

My brother is kinda wierd about it. He will be for it one week and then the next week he will be setting up a tent in moms camp.

Grandma doesn't understand why i do it. Thats hard for me to deal with, a grandmother shouldn't outlive her grandson. [:/]
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

when i did my tandem my father wouldn't talk to me about it. he didn't want to think that his little girl is putting her life in danger every weekend. now that i have been trying to jump every weekend, he's been a little more supportive of it, he's even asked about making a tandem himself, too bad he's over the weight limit. i even convinced him to come out to the dz and watch me to prove that it's not as dangerous as many whuffos tend to think.

When I told my Mother that I had my "A" she just said that " your did always loved jumping when he was in the army-101 airborne."

I send her photos and video. Mean while my sisters and brothers think I have lost my mind.

You can pick your friends but, not your family.

My Dad's words were:

"Juesus Christ, just keep flying the planes and dont f**king jump out of them!!"

After that it took some time for him to even think about talking about it. He did not like it but he really did not pressure me to stop. I was actually suprised that I got him out to see me jump once about 9 years ago.

My Mom knows I jump but does not really want to think about it. She also has seen me once (same day as Dad) and has seen some Video but does not support it. I think it is along the lines of I know your going to jump but I dont want to know about it!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

my parents actually dis-like my rock-climbing more than my skydiving...
they actually both started the s/l progression back in the 80's and were both 1 jump away from their first freefall before my wussy brother (around 8 or 9 (or 10) at the time) got scared and made them quit!
of course i bought my brother a tandem for his 29th birthday and he loves it! :)
my sister actually was injured and has some troubles to this day from a bad s/l landing (her 1 and only jump) a few years ago, and that didn't affect their opinion of me jumping or their own desire to resume one bit.

-------

Dad and i made our first jump together in 95 ( with mom watching from the ground), so they are pretty cool about it........on the other hand they were not so cool about my BASE. My Grandfather told me i should take up something safer .....like"BULL RIDING" lol. "NOT"
Philip Guy D-21881

"HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?"

I've already taken my 16 year old daughter and my wife skydiving, so being on the parent side of this...THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!!!

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!

One year for christmas I gave my parents, brother, and sister each a certificate redeemable for one tandem with me. Neither of my parents are interested, my sister isn't but wants to know if her husband can use it, and my brother would like to but didn't show up the day we planned it (I drove over to do it at Kapowsin, close to his house, and ended up just fun-jumping all day, not that a family-tandem wouldn't be fun).

My parents have come out to watch me skydive once, and they've watched videos & listened to stories, but every once in awhile my mom still pipes up with the "when are you going to stop?" bit.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

My Mom would be absolutely delighted if i gave up jumping. She was good with it until I broke my leg. The prospect of my having a permanent limp (she called it "crippled for life"B|) was too much for her. However, I have no limp, and am largely back to normal, so i'm hopeful she'll be supportive again someday.... *not holding breath*

I told my parents at age ten that I wanted to go skydiving. They told me I had to be 16. A month before my 16th birthday, I asked my dad where we were going skydiving the upcoming summer. He and I went on an observation ride about a week later in the Crazy (Pink) Flamingo Porter. He asked if I still wanted to do it, I said "Hell Yeah!" I asked if he still did and he said "As long as I don't have to ride that plane down again."

Seven years later he's got about 70 more jumps than I do and I fly jumpers for a living... So you could say he's supportive ;). My mom took some time getting used to it but she's glad we have something we enjoy so much.

It was a father/son bonding experience that most people don't get. Not many high school kids tell their friends that they don't want to hang out on the weekend cuz they'll be with their dad instead...

Blue Skies-

--------
Benefitting from the 'free capture of verticality.'

I kinda let it slip to my aunt that I had taken up skydiving again when I re entered the sport after a 22 year layoff. About 2 hours later my mother... who rarely calls.... was on the phone. She worries about me... but realized a long time ago that her input made absolutely no difference about how I handle things in my life. She just told me to be safe and I think there was something in there about next of kin and insurance related info;)

Amazon