CanuckInUSA

Cypres

Do you think it could go that fast? Cypres triggers at 35 m/s, no? that means 126 km/h no? Can a canopy go that fast (in overall speed possibly, but in vertical speed?) ? I believe not, but if someone has feedbacks on this it would interest me.

The cypres has a plus or minus to its firing altitude, it doesnt always fire at exactly 750'
so logically it would follow that there is also a plus or minus to the vertical speed necessary to fire it.

I know my vertical speed is quite high, probably not high enough to fire it, but I am not going to risk my life on a probably-------:P

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

airtec should develop an on/off button reachable while under canopy for the cypres3 designed for swoopers.

Alternatively, be able to set a jump mode so that after the unit detects an open canopy for a certain length of time, it would then disable itself.

Of course this might make it useless for some malfunction modes, but would still allow it to save you if you don't pull at all.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

This thread (let alone the debate as a whole) is really starting to haunt me. But it's clear that a vast majority of us would prefer to jump with a Cypres but feel that we're not dependent on it. For those who jump a pocket rocket that may set off the Cypres, I apologize for not including a category for you to vote on (so it's hard to know how many of the five fit this case and how many just feel that a Cypres is not good for them). But otherwise, the results are pretty much as I expected.

So how long must this debate go on?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I really would like to know who out there absolutely won't jump without a Cypres and who thinks that the Cypres is for weenies. Come on now, I know the second group is out there. You've been slaming Cypres users throughout this entire debate.

I don't think the CYPRES is for weenies, but that was the only option in your poll that came close to my opinion on the matter. I prefer to decide for myself when I have a canopy (and which canopy I have) and therefore don't have an RSL or an AAD. I used to have a CYPRES, but I sold it a few years ago and feel more secure without it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>Wow - make sure you don't get hit in the head my friend.

And this is what bothers me about cypreses. Make sure you don't get hit in the head WHETHER YOU HAVE A CYPRES OR NOT. A cypres is not a device that enables you to get safely hit in the head.

And this is what bothers me about cypreses. Make sure you don't get hit in the head WHETHER YOU HAVE A CYPRES OR NOT. A cypres is not a device that enables you to get safely hit in the head.

I don't plan to get hit in the head, but I still wear a hard helmet.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So how many people (knowing you wear a hard helmet & CYPRES) go out of their way to tell you to make sure you don't get hit in the head? ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

So how many people (knowing you wear a hard helmet & CYPRES) go out of their way to tell you to make sure you don't get hit in the head? ;)

Blues,
Dave

More than you would imagine when you do 10-way speed. It's usually expressed as "watch out for the door frame".

This is for Alambic and Steel.
Alambic did you notice that Steel is flying a 55VX. I think this guy can decide if he should fly a cypress. Heck I bet this guy's brain makes faster calculations then that cypress on your back. I mean a 55VX!! that is amazing - I'm not too worried that Steel will forget to pull.
Just so you know I am pro cypress and use mine on every jump, but I only fly a 96 Velocity.
Wow a 55VX!!!

Alambic did you notice that Steel is flying a 55VX. I think this guy can decide if he should fly a cypress. Heck I bet this guy's brain makes faster calculations then that cypress on your back. I mean a 55VX!! that is amazing - I'm not too worried that Steel will forget to pull.
Just so you know I am pro cypress and use mine on every jump, but I only fly a 96 Velocity.
Wow a 55VX!!!

Tom Piras was an outstanding skydiver too, gold medalist, world record holder...

Everyone has their reasons, here are mind. If I can afford it I will have it. I can and I do. There are times I have not jumped with one. Demo or training jumps (solo) where the risk of a collision is not there (with another person that is). I would not jump without one on a RW dive. I recently saw a cypres save in July. A C license jumper couldn't find his hacky or reserve handle. He had already given up and prepaired to die. His Cypres and only his Cypres changed all of that. YES, I'm pro Cypres!

Wow a 55VX!!!

Tom Piras was an outstanding skydiver too, gold medalist, world record holder...

Yeah, and he was one of the few people jumping a CYPRES-equipped rig at the time.

Two great quotes came from that jump:

"It's only a four-way" (as he turned it off after he demonstrated turning it on).

"Maybe I should have left it on" (on the way to altitude).

Blue skies,

Winsor

I recently saw a cypres save in July. A C license jumper couldn't find his hacky or reserve handle. He had already given up and prepaired to die. His Cypres and only his Cypres changed all of that. YES, I'm pro Cypres!

And why could he not find them? did someone move them? Sounds like this guy needs a shitload more training.

And "He gave up and prepared to DIE!" What the FUCK is that?!?!?!!?! This person should quit the sport. NEVER give up. Thats just fucked up. A mistake is one thing...Giving up is another.

This is why I tell folks after their 100th jump when they start to get cocky that I still expect them to bounce, but I now think they will atleast pull something before they hit.....It may not be the right thing, but atleast they will pull something.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

And "He gave up and prepared to DIE!" What the FUCK is that?!?!?!!?!

I had a friend who had his reserve container hang up (this was a Piglet, in the 1970's -- they were why the last hope rope was invented). Cut away his main, went to the reserve, it didn't open. Pounded, cocked his elbows, tugged his risers, yelled, everything he could think of.

He was turning on his side because he thought that might improve his chances of living, when it opened at about 400'.

Nope. Don't give up.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)