xlh883

Frustrated...Anyone else have this problem?

>:(
I am somewhat frustrated with my training. I did my very first tandem jump on Aug 31. Since then have done two more tandems the following Friday and last Saturday attemtped to do my first PRCP on static line. Well, that one didn't go well at all. My hands were sweating and I slipped off of the wing strut while hanging just after removing my left foot from the step. Having not expected this, I wasn't able to do the PRCP at that time.

The instructors backed me down to jsut doing a static line and arch which I did this past Friday. They told me it was really good and time to go back to the PRCP again. I tried twice on Saturday and twice today to no avail. My arch upon leaving the airplane seems to be fine but I have been sen, and I have noticed it one time today, that I have been looking down while trying to reach and pull the ripcord. Consequently, I end up getting turned somewhat while the chute is fully opening and of course the arch goes away with the twist.

I am getting the feeling around the DZ that I am the only person this has happened to. It is really making me frustrated and feel like quitting after nine jumps and $1100 (included three tandems.)

The instructors keep telling me to keep looking at the wing while reaching and pulling. Easier said than done for me anyway.

It would help me feel better if this was more common a problem than I think it is. I don't want to quit, but I can't keep spending money on the same jump and not getting any where with it.

David

Hey! BREATH! Relax, ok?

The more frustrated you get, the harder it is going to be for you.

Talk to your instructors about doing some ground excersizes to practice arching with your head up and doing PRCPs on the ground with your rig (while in an arched position).

I'd say do some muscle memory drills while arching on a bean bag, then do the same with a rig on doing PRCPs, but I'm not your instructor and I'm sure that your inscructors have seen this sort of situation before and may know some tricks to fix it.

Don't worry, you're not the only person to have problems learnig to skydive. Its not an easy sport, it takes dedication and practice, but it is very very fun (as you know).

So, go talk to your instructors, see what they say and most importantly, RELAX, it can do nothing but help.

Also, talk to them about transistioning to AFF, you may learn better with a different training program. If they use the ISP, then it should be no problem to transition you over (you would require more ground training to do that, but that's no biggy).

GOOD LUCK!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

when i stop worrying about things is usually when i preform my best. Just have fun with it. The words "progression" and "training" are all in your head. Just soak in knowledge and have a good time skydiving.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I'd recommend spending as much time as possible on the ground practicing your "arch reach pull" sequence. Muscle memory is what is going to get you over the hump.

Practice doing it perfectly - "arch" - head up like you're seeing the airplane fly away and arch hard, "reach" - left hand over your head, right hand to the ripcord, keeping your eyes on that imaginary plane flying away from you and that nice hard arch in your back, "pull" - keep looking at the plane and arching as you pull the ripcord.

And I'm serious about spending a lot of time practicing it on the ground. Do it at home in front of the mirror. Do it at work when you're on a break. Do it after lunch, before dinner, as soon as you get up in the morning. When you get out to the dz, see if they'll let you put the rig on and practice for 15 minutes or so, then take a break, then do it a few more times before you jump. Practicing with the gear on will show you that you really don't need to look at the ripcord to find it and pull it.

Remember that ground practice is free, and the more you do the better you'll perform in the air.

If all else fails check into doing AFF instead of s/l.

Or,

Why not work on being able to arch while you look at your handle.

It is possible.

It used to go: Arch, look, reach, pull.

You don't have to lose your arch when you look.

Just a suggestion, I am not an instructor.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Or,
It is possible.

I think you may be thinking of a reserve ripcord pull chant. On a normal student rig, you can't normally see the PRCP handle, unless you are a contortionist. :P
But the reserve handle chant does go: arch look reach pull.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Or,
It is possible.

I think you may be thinking of a reserve ripcord pull chant. On a normal student rig, you can't normally see the PRCP handle, unless you are a contortionist. :P
But the reserve handle chant does go: arch look reach pull.

At my DZ they still train the Arch, look, reach, pull for the main on the ripcorded student rigs.

The gear they have has a hip located rip cord. I did aff and I always forgot to look, found it easier to just get thier with my hand and pull. I didn't need to look because I trained it into my mind where it was. Now with BOC, you can't see it anyways so it doesn't matter.

----

On the other note, everyone is right about practicing on the ground. Before I even went to do aff I spent probally 2 weeks practicing my arch every day. Wanted to make sure I had it nailed (I did, well enough that I was falling pretty fast)

One thing to keep in mind is that, even if you completely screw up the whole jump and you make it to the ground, and back to the gear room with your student gear... It should of been fun. What!?!?! Fun!?!?! The dive went to hell.... yeah, so what your still jumping out of a "perfectly good airplane", and even if its a crappy dive its still fun. There are hundreds of jumps ahead of you to have more fun too, you just have to get over the hump of learning.

When you are looking at the ripcord are you really just looking at the ground? You can look at the ripcord just fine (if its in line of sight) but you see the ground too which might freak you out a bit. If you just concentrate on keeping your head up looking at the plane you will be more relaxed. I know that the first time I saw the plane fly away I was elated... was pretty cool.

I'm just a newer jumper though, so what I said can only be taken from that perspective.

(edit for spelling and emphasis)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I've had several students do what you're doing. Its instinctual to look down to see where you're going to fall. You have to re-engineer your brain.

One suggestion: I have students with this problem do "Door Drills."

Place your feet about 3 feet behind you shoulder width apart, pelvic on the door and look at the ceiling. Do about 30 PRCPs that way. You'll nail it next time.

No charge.

Ok folks, stand up, get up out of your chair, give me a nice "box man" with a nice arch. Now look at where a ripcord would be (for those who have actually jumped those).

What happens to your arch? It goes away, you drop a shoulder and you loose your semetry in your arms and legs.

Is that what you want to teach a student that is having trouble maintaining an arch while reaching for his handle?

Sure, "that's how its always been taught" but see if it says to "look" in the SIM now.

Ok folks, stand up, get up out of your chair, give me a nice "box man" with a nice arch. Now look at where a ripcord would be (for those who have actually jumped those).

What happens to your arch? It goes away, you drop a shoulder and you loose your semetry in your arms and legs.

Is that what you want to teach a student that is having trouble maintaining an arch while reaching for his handle?

Sure, "that's how its always been taught" but see if it says to "look" in the SIM now.

I'm pretty sure thats why I never looked when it was pull time durring my aff. It didn't feel natural, and looking was only to see where the ripcord was (which I never needed to look to find) I'm not advocating to not listen to instructors... it just kinda happend that way for me.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I agree with aggie. At our DZ, the ripcord handle is where a BOC pouch would be. So its really hard to look at it without losing your arch.

I'm not sure about a hip mounted ripcord... though I imagine you would still have to look down and to the side with your head, which is the opposite of what you are supposed to do in a hard arch, which is to put your head back and chin up.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Let me make something clear, though.

I am NOT trying to suggest people (students) go against what their instructors are teaching!

I just got off on a tangent, outdated things being taught bug me. Sort of like "bannana turns" being taught instead of center point turns, etc. As the sport evolves so do the techniques as do the teaching methods. If that wasn't true, students would be jumping round canopies with spring loaded pilot chutes and shot and a half capewells, while trying to do a baton pass.

well still being in the student status i can't really say much other than what you've heard and is also the most difficult thing to do. RELAX. You will get it. i'm just about done with my student progression and i can give you this advice I had my share of problems, i'm guessing just about everyone does. It seemed i'd always have to repeate something because the first time i tried it i messed it all up. This isn't something you can be a natural at. no ones ancestors jumped out of airplanes, IT IS IN NO ONE"S BLOOD TO BE GOOD AT SKYDIVING.
second point, since you've done more than one jump this is obvioulsy something you want to keep doing. my suggestion is to look at pictures or videos of experienced jumpers and ask yourself if you would like that to be you one day. if so, then remember there is a long road ahead with many bumps but it is worth it.

Not to get off the topic (static line jumps & PRCPs), it took me 8 SL jumps to get to freefall, and I thought I did pretty well.

I know someone who made his final first freefall at 54 jumps; there's at least one jumper here who was in the same category, too.

I competely agree with the "practice, practice, practice" thing, but I'll add that you might want to:
a. practice from the mockup a number of those times
b. have your instructor watch you a few times to make sure you're not beginning something weird.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Good point. I always tell my students ARCH, ASS, REACH, PULL. We practice this by;

ARCH -- Student in arch (on the ground)
ASS -- Student places right hand on butt, left hand above head.
REACH -- Student slides hand from butt up right side. Her hand will cross the ripcord handle.
PULL -- Student pulls the ripcord handle when her hand touches it.

>I am somewhat frustrated with my training.

Don't worry too much. I did ten PRCP's before I was cleared to freefall. It wasn't quite a record at my DZ but it was close. It's a frustrating time because there is so little time to get it right; you exit and boom! the parachute's open. Sometimes it just takes time.

Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to relax but I still get nervous. Not nearly as bad as the first tandem ride though. The instructor had to peel my hand off of the aircraft. As for practicing, they have been having me do it a lot there ar the DZ, but I think I am not doing it enough at home. Working on that....

David

If my instructor's heard you say that they would probably shoot you on the spot. They jsut want me to look straight up at the plane and pull the ripcord. My problem is that I seem to instinctively want to look down at where my hand is. Most of the time I don't even realize I am doing it but I can see it on the videotape.

David

I seem to be relaxed until we hit around 200 feet and then my nerves act up. I can get out on the wing and hang jsut fine now after the first disaster of slipping off of the strut. The pilot from that jump was surprised I came back Saturday. That kind of made me feel good. She said most people quit after that happens to them.

I do love this sport and am having fun with it. I will keep goign back as long as I have the financial means to do so. I jsut don't want this to become a money pit.

David