hottamaly

Lets talk about sponsorships

I have worked with two different skydiving equipment suppliers for the last 7 years and they get asked to sponsor folks daily. Some get fully sponsored and the others get good discounts and it seems to me that the only time we hear from these people is when they want more free stuff.
I know there are a few people out there that work hard recommending the equipment that they have received discounts on, but for the most part I have rarely had a customer tell me that so and so recommended the product they were using and that was the decision maker for them.
No thank yous are written, no emails saying how their team is doing or pictures sent, nothing. Then the next year, they just expect these expensive products to be given to them automatically again. I don't get it! When I am lucky enough to have someone sponsor me, I make sure that I talk about what I am using and how great it is and recommend that product to folks for them to consider purchasing.
If I was one of those dealers and my sponsored people took advantage of me like that, I'd drop them like a hot rock. I (as a dealer) want the people I take care of, to take care of me as well. If they are not recommending my products, how can I afford to sponsor them in the future?
I just wanted to throw this out there for all to think about before you ask someone to sponsor you.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

I talk about some products on an almost daily basis, but I've thought it would be pretty presumptious to even ask for a discount let alone free gear.

What does the agreement between BoneHead and one of their sponsored jumpers say they have to do to maintain the sponsorship? Simply use the gear? Have x number of photos published wearing the gear? Have x number of articles published?

Working where I do, I can't even fathom a sponsorship deal without some heavy promotion by all parties involved.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I am not "sponsored" by PD, but they have been so awesome to me with helping me out and setting me up that I mention them and my satisfaction every chance I get. I tell people what I jump, why I like it , and how super the people at PD are. I never ask for anyhting except help and the occasional T shirt. :P

But I know there are people who just expect stuff for nothing, and that is a shame. PD has always bent over backwards to satisfy me, (as I am sure other manufacturers do) and I appreciate it very much!

Linda, I'm sorry for the performance of your sponsored atheletes.

But if you can help me out with a full face helmet for a deserving coach, I GUARANTEE you more gratitude and salesmanship than you have ever seen.

I have loved both the skydives I've shared with you!

I got it on video, so it happened!

That is why a company I worked for recently did two thing when it came to sponsorships.

1) Used writen, enforcable contracts that clearly spell out the obligations of bothe the sponsor (FliteSuit) and the sponored.

2) Pick your sponsored athletes well. Avoid teams unless one of their primary rolls on their home DZ is to coach as well. I would much rather sponsor an LO who will be in contact with 50 people on a weekend that a 4way team who will train, creep, and debrief without talking to anyone outside of the team. Freefly is the same way, sponsor the guys/gals that coach and/or LO with the nebies in the sport as they are the ones buying. Oh yeah, sponsor me too...:ph34r:

Money for nuthin', and your gear for free huh?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If I was one of those dealers and my sponsored people took advantage of me like that, I'd drop them like a hot rock.

I often wonder why competitors get sponsorship while instructional staff don't. Who do students and newly licensed skydivers go to for recommendations? The local 4 way team? I discuss the equipment I use and point out the features and benefits. The only discount I receive is my staff discount from the store. Do the competitors promote the product more or do the instructors?:S Yes, it would be nice to get a t-shirt and/or hat and sticker once in a while.:|

You are exactly correct. While I was with Mirage Systems we "sponsored" instructor nearly automatically because of their influence on the new jumper. I.E. potential customers.

The best way to get sponsorship is become influential. Once you are sponsored keep in contact and show the sponsor what you have been doing to deserve sponsorship. To of the best people Mirage Systems ever sponsored is Max Cohn and Chris Fiala. Both are active in coaching, organizing, and compete from time to time. They are extremely approachable. That is a very important feature. Mirage Systems sponsored some "big" names over the years but some of the jumpers were contantly training or just didn't want anything to do with inexperienced jumpers.

Yep. I can't count the number of times I've talked to jumpers who thought it would be really cool to be sponsored - gear for nothing and your jumps for free! Most of them don't realize that any sponsorship is a two way deal, with half the responsibility on the shoulders of the sponsored jumper. That means doing things like letting other people demo your gear, giving talks at boogies and other events (even if it means you don't get to jump as much) doing some free coaching on the gear etc. I think most of the people who want free gear, well, for free have the usual skydiver ego thing going - "I'm so good that other people will see me jumping a Velocity and want to be just like me, a haughty hard-jumpin fast-swoopin sponsored guy!" Doesn't work like that usually.

crossover thought from the snowboarding sponsorship world, I was fortunate enough to have some excellent sponsors for a number of years and got to see alot of people come and go. I found that guys that may not have neccesarily gotten much adveritsing publicity from their riding, but were just great people to be around and showed real enthusiasm for what they were doing, and an eagerness to help the sponsors in whatever small way they could tended to stick around. The ones that tended to try and build a relationship with the reps even if it was just offering to help out at a demo or give someone a place to crash, even just checking in once a month to let them know how their competions were going. The good sponsors also recognized their riders for what they brought to the local more personal everyday level of the sport. And the gimmy gimmies tended not to get product for more than a season or two. Theres alot of BS that happens two, but I figured I'd throw in .02$.

I dont understand why people who get sponsorship cant show a little gratitude and give a little back. My skydiving club gets some money from the pub we hold our meetings in. Its not a great deal but it helps with our events.

We give back as much as we can, we promote the pub, hell we spend hundreds there. We even flew their flag into the demo we did last year. If you get, you give, right?

Im even happy to promote companies who have been good to me through excellent customer service or whatever. I make sure I review on here any product I buy and if somethings good I say so. It shouldnt just be about sponsorship, its about passing on knowlegde - thats what so much of this sport is based on. If you find a good product tell people so they can get a bit of a good thing too.

I always make a point to write the sponsor and thank them.

I also work with the sponsor on any improvments they want to tryout, and give feedback and sugestions to them.

I also try to sell the gear I am sposored with....But I only accept gear I would normally buy. I will not jump something just because it is free. If I don't like the product, I don't accept the sponsorship.

As for the thing about instructors being better than teams...I don't 100% agree with that.

The Dropzone has a sposorship with Tony Suits, my team is sposored by Michigan and Bev. There are more and more of Mikes suits on the DZ every day.

But thats just ones guys opinion.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I have had quite a few sponsors, tobacco company, Toyota, Bulova watches, Greb footwear...(track shoes, suits, and boots) Gillette Trac II, Canadian Tire stores, and several others who were small companies, and gave me jewellry for my wife, and other things.

With Toyota, I got a new car every three months, and eventually they gave me one and said keep it until the wheels come off. I had them as a sponsor for a total of 12 years and besides the vehicles, they bought me three round canopies, three squares, a hot air balloon and all its relevant equipment.

Bill Cole D-41 Canada