Scottyb

Sisters handicapped tandem @ Cross Keys

Just had to post about my sisters jump at Cross Keys. My sister has cerebral palsy and is confined to a wheelchair and unable to speak but communicates with yes or no answers. But no words were needed to explain the thrilling jump she made, all you had to do is look at her face!

The staff at Cross Keys was unbeleivable ! Mark Kruse who has over 10,000 skydives made her feel he was just as excited as she was about the tandem. After her jump we watched the video at the dz and it seemed everyone there gathered around to watch. There was a round of applause as the ripcord was pulled and at the landing, it made her day even more special. It really makes me proud to be a part of a sport where everyone will do almost anything to share the experience we all felt on our first jump!

12 hours later and she still can't wipe the smile from her face!

if anyone would like more info on the jump for a physically challenged person drop me an email and I'll give you the details.

Scott,
I had a great time shooting the video on that jump. It was a very memorable jump that I will carry with me for a long time. It just goes to show you that anyone can participate in this sport. I hope to see Jaime out at the DZ again soon. Blue Skies.

-Paul

Paul, thank you!!! what a great video you shot. The still pictures are awesome. I have posted a few on my web site & I'll bring them on Friday when we are there for Teri's graduation dive. It was an incredible day & I am going to try to get the word out to people in the handicapped community that the thrill of a lifetime is at Cross Keys if the want to take the leap.

Scott

www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/jaime.htm

dude I have so much respect for your sister. Instead of giving into her handicapp and saying she couldnt/wouldnt jump, she did jump. Thats great, man, put a big smile on my face when I read your post. :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

We all have handicaps to deal with

I could not agree more. The way you deal with your handicaps makes who you truly are. Your sister set a memorable example. Post some pics somewhere, they could inspire some annoying whuffos and skudivers as well!

Take care
Memento Audere Semper

I'm glad things went well. My friend is a paraplegic and the guys at The Skydiving Place in NC took him up for a jump. Talk about a happy guy!!!

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!

Hey Scott, VERY COOL!

I noticed you guys the other day at the DZ. Wish I could have been there to check out the video and landing. I had to leave early that day to go back to work.

Kudos to your sister... Now she is OUR sister too!!

-Dave C.

That very cool. I had some involvment a couple of years ago where a young man (20 years old or so) dying of cancer had a last wish -- to skydive. Our DZO took him for a tandem ... (my newsroom did a news story about it) ... he died a few weeks later. It was truly wonderful to see this man's dying wish come true. A moth of two after he passed away, his Mom came out and a did a tandem (I think she had his ashes in her possesion). Compelling stuff ...

I'm glad your sister had the thrill of a lifetime on her jump!

confined to a wheelchair

I take issue, however with you suggesting that someone is "confined" to a wheelchair. I would suggest rather that a wheelchair offers the mobilitya person would otherwise not have, thus enabling them to venture out into the world. The term "confined" has such negative connotation...

Thank you so much for sharing this experience! The pictures are amazing! Your sister is a courageous person and you are a wonderful brother for taking her to X-keys. I hope I get to meet her there someday. :)

I think this is great!!!:)

One of the things that i was shocked at when i started skydiving, is how everybody is included in this sport. Most sports do not include everybody. I think that the tandem masters should get a big round of applause. They make sure that EVERYBODY gets a chance to enjoy the excitement!!!