pilotdave

My PD canopy demo program experience

About 2 weeks ago I decided I wanted to try a Spectre 135. So I went to PD's website and filled out the demo request form. I expected to hear back about a demo in a month. To my surprise, no more than 5 minutes later, I got an email from Kolla saying the demo was ready to ship. The price was $30, and I could keep the canopy for two weekends. A few days later, on Thursday, arrived.

The canopy comes on risers with the brakes already stowed neatly. It comes with an instruction manual and even a bag of rubber bands. You need your own container, dbag, and pilot chute. I first laid the canopy out next to my own, put the bridle attachment points side by side, and transferred the bridle over. Since I had never done this before I wanted them side by side so I'd be sure to do it right. Then I disconnected my RSL and pulled my cutaway handle.

I had never hooked up a canopy before, so I did everything slowly and carefully, making sure to hook the canopy up the right way with no twists in the lines. It took me a little while to get everything straightened out, but then it was easy. Assembled the 3 rings, and packed it up.

The canopy was great, of course. Jumped it as many times as I could in two weekends. Last saturday night I did a night jump with it. I considered hooking up my PD150 for the night jump, but figured I was a lot more current on the spectre and it was more forgiving on landing anyway, though a lot faster.

Well, yesterday I had to pack it back up and fedex it back to PD. Shipping cost about $21 or so.

Kolla was able to answer all my questions, and the whole experience really couldnt have been easier. Now I'm on the waiting list for a Sabre2 135 for a comparison, which should be ready in a couple weeks.

Dunno how other manufacturers compare, but PD does an awesome job!

Dave

Kolla and PD have taken very good care of me in the past while demoing some of their canopies...and she continues to take of me now, too. I have a demo that should be here sometime Wednesday. B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You guyz & gals are simply too sweet :$

I'll be the first to admit that from time to time I blunder horribly, but we do try to keep that to a minimum (this summer has been rough!).

However, my job is pretty fun - I get to help skydivers out to pick their toys all day long, and almost every last one of my demo customers has been a pleasure to work with :D

Thanks again for your kindness - what goes around, comes around, so thats a constant reminder for me to strive to do a good job!

Blue skies!
Kolla - aka "the Demo Queen" :P
Blue Skies Magazine

almost every last one of my demo customers has been a pleasure to work with

Yeah, its too bad you have to put up with those assholes that call all the time to try to get a release date for some sort of new canopy...>:(:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hey Chris,

Well I spent a few weekends under an 84 and had a great time with it. Then Dave Brown came up and I did a few jumps on his 90. I think the 90 is going to be a good bet for the speed of an 84 but the distance of a bigger wing like my 96 so I decided to demo one for a while longer to get the hang of it :)
The 84 sure was fun though :P.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

To my surprise, no more than 5 minutes later, I got an email from Kolla saying the demo was ready to ship. The price was $30, and I could keep the canopy for two weekends. A few days later, on Thursday, arrived

Kolla is a goddess, and the PD demo program is a great way to try out some canopies (Icarus has a great demo program too)

Thanks Kolla...

You have made an awesome impression on the skydiving community...
You have made my experience with PD an excellent one...
One that other canopy companies should also strive to be...

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Well, to echo what many people have said, I have had nothing but great experiences with PD - and even more specifically, Kolla. It's been over 2 years since I have demoed any PD canopies, but back then I tried out several different canopies(Spectre, Vengeance, Lightning, Spinetto), and every experience was great! I live nearby, so I actually went and picked up the canopies at PD. I have to admit......at first, when I picked up a Vengeance(which I was loading at 1.7) and Kolla asked me about my experience level, I felt a bit insulted(who would know better than me what I am experienced enough to jump?)....but then I realized that she gets people of all experience levels trying to demo canopies that they are probably not ready for. I saw several examples of that - people that called her, and had her ship canopies that they were NOT ready for(one was a 75 jump wonder that demoed a Stiletto loaded at 1.6 - but he told her he had over 800 jumps on a Safire at 1.5).

The only issue I ever had was that I was given a Lightning 160 once when I asked for a 176. I didn't realize it until I went to pack it down at Sebastian - and I jumped it anyways, just spent most of the jumps in partial brakes. It was definitely not Kolla's fault - she didn't pack up the canopy and hand it to me....and I didn't check it when I picked it up. It even turns out that I signed for the 160, not a 176....but I neglected to REALLY look at the paperwork.

Mike

Besides Kolla being great at her job, she is also an incredible person. In fact, I think we should all write John Leblanc and tell him that we think Kolla needs a raise. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Kolla is the shitz!
I mean that in the best of terms. I dealt with her with my first reserve and met her at Spaceland a couple of years later. She still remembered me! I was looking to buy another new reserve from her when I found a sweet deal on DZ.com on another PD reserve. Even though I don't jump PD mains, she will still do any thing in the world to help all of us.She brings company standards to an all time high in our small community! We should have more like her!
Conway:)

That's great! I e-mailed them on Monday to demo the Sabre II 150, sure hope I hear back soon, too. I wonder how the Spectre would fly with compare. hmm.

I used to fly a Spectre at a 1.5 wing loading, and now fly a Sabre2 at roughly the same loading. Back when I was jumping the Spectre, and the Sabre2 came out, I demoed one in the same size/loading. I consider the Sabre2 a copy of the Spectre with 2 extra cells in most regards. Openings are pretty much the same(soft and on heading for both canopies), they will both do a decent swoop(at least at the loading I was at), and they are both very stable canopies in all regimes of flight. The biggest differences, IMO, are....1) the Sabre2 has a flatter glide(7 cell vs 9 cell) and when you use the rear risers the better glide is even more obvious. The Spectre comes down steeper, and won't glide as far. 2) The Sabre2 has a larger pack volume than the Spectre. The difference is noticeable. Packing a Spectre 150 into my 120 container is not difficult....but the Sabre2 150 in the same container is a pain in the butt.

I evaluated both canopies, and sold the Spectre to get the Sabre2. I got tired of not making it to the main landing area on long spots when everybody else could make it....or at least get closer...now I can ride the rear risers and make it further than just about anybody else.

Mike