gatorbait

If you have ever rode the plane down...

Not counting the couple of times when I didnt have time to jump after dispaching IADs, once. Bad weather had moved in prettu quickly.... I found it stressfull landing in the Caravan full of jumpers, considering the pilot had to be more used to landing it empty....
Remster

It happenned to me on what would have been my second AFF jump we were 2 AFF students with the rest of the load being tandems. We are all getting ready to exit the plane all equipment has been checked I just put my goggles on, green light just came on, I get ready to take position with my instructors right after a solo got out of the door then my instructor held me back and told me to go sit down and buckle up because the winds at ground level were too high for our canopies. So me and Kim(the other student) rode the plane down with one instructor while the other three just enjoyed their free jump. Mind you I still had a great time because the pilot is a thrill seeker he made the plane dive so much that we ended up getting 3-4 seconds of weightlessness. I came out of that plane smiling almost as much as if I had jumped.

while the other three just enjoyed their free jump.

Guy,

I doubt very much they were free jumps! lol... Daniel and Michel dont give away too many freebees.... ;) (its not a slam on them either, they have developed a very succesfull DZ and business):)
Remster

Twice for clouds... once because I only had 18 jumps and all we got was 2800 ft. I felt like the biggest nancy alive though, NEVER AGAIN.

;)

The last mosquito that bit me had to book into the Betty Ford Clinic. -Patsy

On my first jump in the army. The winds were way too strong. So we waited all afternoon in this quanset building, all geared up, with sweat dripping off our noses (for the wind to die down). A black hat would walk through the building once in a while and shout, "What do you want to be?" Everyone shouts back, "Airborne". This went on until evening and the wind went down some. Then they loaded us all in the back of a c-119. (Yes this was many years ago). Everyones heart was thumping as this piece of crap for an airplane roars forever down the air strip and barely climbs into the air. So we climb to altitude and start circling the DZ because the wind is still too stiff to jump. The doors are both open and there's this jumpmaster leering at us with enthusiasm. Then he walks up to me and asks me if I'm okay. I have this sick looking smile on my face. Trying to look brave when he knows I'm faking it. And then we ride the plane back down. Next morning we walked up the ramp into the back of a 141. Awe, those were the days.......Steve1

a few times...but for good reasons. I was jumpmaster for a load to 22,000 ft for a beer commercial and we didnt have satisfactory oxygen...I ordered the plane down and stated that I would conk anyone who went towards the door with a bailout bottle. I also took the plane down in Ecuador while training the special forces. One jumper had forgot his reserve and helmet..so I loaned him mine. I thought of jumping without both, but was there to train them and educate them in safety, so stayed on board. Bill Cole D 41

About a dozen times: some as a JM for student refusals; some for ceiling; three or four times in the otter, just to experience the descent and beating the jumpers to the ground!

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

My most memorable ride down with the plane was way back in '91. I was completing my AFF at a CASA boogie in Mmabatho (SA). On the way to altitude my reserve pin dislodged causing the reserve PC to pop out. We were supposed to exit last which meant my instructor (Lob Lobjoy I think) and I sat right up front (where the pilot couldn't see me). Lob made sure I had my PC tightly between my knees, sitting down, then he ran out the back for a 'sponsored' solo. The pilot, a very young, very competent airforce captain, didn't know or forgot that I was still there. He made a rapid descent and (as was quite common then) he decided to 'buzz' the DZ..... The look on his face when he looked back towards the tail after his pull-up was abosutely priceless. It must have been me thudding into the ramp that got his attention! And no, we weren't using safety belts at the time.

My first AFF jump, I had to ride the plane down because clouds came in wayyyy to fast. I got to the ground and I could just feel peoples eyes on me thinking I freaked out up there. Of course that was just my paranoia....I think. Anyway I'm up to lvl 5 now but I missed the chance to do my first jump out of a CASA. That sux...but it's better than screwing up my first jump and ending up as scrambled eggs.

A number of times:

In Competition and on fun jumps had to land because weather moved in fast

JM'ing, students chickened out a few times and once had a reserve pop on a student.

Have probably landed with a rig on 20+ times for various reasons..

No bigie just one of those things.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Once on AFF1, weather moved in so I couldn't jump, rode the plane down.

Once on AFF3, I got scared and wouldn't leave the plane.

Once around 120 jumps, I didn't like the look of things from the air. Lots of cloud cover, didn't know where the DZ was. I let the other 3 people in my 4 way go. They barely made it back to the DZ

Once around 200 jumps, I rolled up the door (Cessna 206). Looked out and had to give a major correction to the pilot. This to a pilot that is normally dead on. I gave him '20 left'. He responded by putting the nose toward the ground and landed faster than I've ever seen. Once we landed he said there was a warning of a severe thunderstorm in our area. A couple minutes later it came ripping through and flooded/destroyed most of the DZ that wasn't nailed down. Thank god I didn't jump out.

It is kinda fun to land with the plane. Some pilots are crazier than skydivers. They really like to show us what they can do.

Once when I was doing one of my last AFF jumps. Our student gear has Astras that you turn on and off after each jump. Well I forgot to turn mine on before we got on the plane and my instructioner forgot to check it until we were almost to altitude so she made me ride it down, turn it on and try again. Ended up being my worst AFF jump to, probably from nerves:)

Al, What about the times we run out of beach due to tides?

Loaded at 8 this morning, down when we got to 2k saying no landing area, tide is up to high!

One of the pleasures of living on a tiny Island I suppose

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

4 times all in the same aircraft Skydive Orange's Super Otter (all though the first 2 was before the Super Otter engines were added.

1. First time was completely intentional. It was my first weekend at Skydive Orange with 3 friends and we couldn't jump due to winds. We were sitting around and Leon Toson walks up to us and says, "we need to get the some more people on the load to make it fly, get on!!" I told him we were students and couldn't and he said "Do an observer ride, it's on;y $20." 2 of us were doing AFF and one was doing static line so $20 was nothing to us. The three of us got on with static line rigs and were told if you have to bailout pull the silver. It was cool watching them leave and then the pilot dove us big time to the ground so we got 3-4 seconds of weightlessness. One of my friends yelled out "this is sooo worth $20"
2. Going up for my 4th or 5th AFF jump, the winds picked up and the ceiling dropped to 2,000 so I couldn't go. I told my JM he could go but he decided to stay. I think everyone rode the plane down. Since I was a student, it was a free ride. As we were going down I said to everyone "This is the ONE time that it doesn't suck to be a student."
3. Clouds roll in once we take off. Tried a pass at 5,000: no good, 4,000: ditto. The best we could get was 2,000. I had my A so I couldn't go, not sure I would have as alot of more experienced jumpers rode as well.
4. 1st night jump. Winds were high and gusting, like they had been doing on and off all day. I have a low w/l (.95) and had a few loads where I landed off that day. I got on the plane to help it fly and when we got on jumprun I asked the pilot to give me the groundwinds (hoping they might have steadied or gone down) they hadn't and I chose to ride. I got a few positive comments from the other jumpers on the plane and some more on the ground. I talked to some of the jumpers got their advice and jumped the next load. I still landed off...:P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

My daughter and I rode it down on our first (and second) student fun jump...

We had been waiting all day for the clouds to clear and as they started to, we were all told to get on the plane - the clouds had just uncovered the LZ but were still over the runway a little bit.

As several up-jumpers left and it was my turn, I looked out and couldn't see the LZ?!?!? I looked again and just clouds...

So I scratched it (my daughter got mad at me cause she was to follow right after me by 5-7 secs). Best call I made - The DZ was covered by the time the up-jumpers were open and every one of them had to do canopy through a layer of clouds.

The DZO was at first freaked when he saw the up-jumpers coming through the clouds thinking my daughter and I were in the mess, then relieved when he found out we didn't go.

So instead of jumping we had to go to a nearby airport to get gas and got a "funride" from the pilot (nap of the clouds).

After that it started to clear again and we were all on the plane to 18K for someone's 100th jump and a couple of tandems... the 100x up-jumper went with a buddy followed by the camera man as soon as the light went green, then one of the tandem masters looked out and scrubbed it for every one else. As the TM turned around, he hit is reserve pin and knocked it out and the next thing you know the pilot to his reserve is blowing around in the cabin (the door was still open). One of the other TMs immediately grabbed it. Freaky.

1: Precautionary landing in a Beech 18 due to a strange engine vibration.

2: Took off in a C-182 filming a tandem, landed due to quickly approaching thunderstorms.

3: Landed due to discovering a misrouted 3-ring on my tandem rig that I had missed during pre flight inspection.

4: Landed due to a tandem student refusal to jump.

5: Landed per request from air traffic control due to a runway closure.

6: Landed due to our DZO forgetting to securely latch the copilot side above wing door in a Twin Bonanza.

7: Landed immediately after rotation and while still in ground effect because the T-Bone blew a fuel pump and the left engine quit.

I think there might be one more but I can't recall what it was.

Yep, rode it down many, many times... I'd have to say around 2000 times.... But it was unavoidable you see..... cause I wuz the jump pilot!

I'll have my 1,000th jump flight in a month or so, it'd be cool to time it so I can do my 500th jump the same day, but I really doubt that'll happen.:(

--------
Benefitting from the 'free capture of verticality.'

Cool... Wish I would've logged every load of jumpers I flew (plus their names). Been nice to look back on some day.

I've got over 2500 hrs of jumper flying, I prob have over 4,000 loads of jumpers flown, I was just being conservative on my estimate..... And that was over a 10 year period BTW....

But, compared to some pilots on this forum, mine is just a drop in the bucket.....