phonics1981

New Rig

I'm looking to buy my first rig. I'm still debating whether or not to get a used one or brand new but say I decide for a new one can you suggest the best dealers to go to?

My ideal setup would be a Javelin Odyssey and Sabre2 190 and probably a PD reserve.

Any suggestions on any aspect would be appreciated.

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

At this point, I will only have a PD reserve in my container. After talking with quite a few different riggers when I was looking to buy my gear a bit over a year ago, that is the conclusion I came to.

Why Javelin? Is that what a lot of people jump at your DZ?

Sabre2 is a great canopy, even for beginners, when it is jumped at the right wingloading. I know nothing about you and have never seen you fly your canopy, so your best bet would be to talk to the instructors around the DZ. They've seen you fly and they can help you determine what would be a good size for your main and reserve.

You left out a Cypres, if you can afford one, I would recommend getting one. (Although it was nearly a year before I could get one, after I got my gear...basically I put about 400 jumps on with no AAD and I was fine).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Javelin simply cos I like the look of the odyssey. What are other recommended containers?

I think a Cypress will definately come into the equation aswell.

Just remember that if you want to get a javalin then there is something like a 26 week delivery time... you could try looking at wings, they have a much shorter delivery time, rather less expensive and are also pretty nice.

I personally like the Sabre2, there is a lot of performance that you can squeeze out of them as you become a more capable canopy pilot, whilst being quite forgiving.

Edit to add: Forgot the Speak to you instructors about canopy choice they'll give advice best suited to how you fly, also contact Pd and get a demo canopy sent to you to see if you really do want to get the Sabre2.

The main reason for me choosing a Sabre2 was a review in Augusts BPA Skydive Magazine. At the moment I am a beginner and the review explaned that as a jumper progresses their canopy skills the Sabre2 will still keep up with them. Obviously this is only 1 persons opinion and i'd probably like a test jump.

Well I just got myself a lovely little USED Javelin (regular not Ody) and it is in MINT condition. I couldn't be happier - for now! I think depending on your finances and plans for downsizing, used can be a good choice. Loved my Quasar that was GIVEN to me but the Jav is SO COMFY.......Javelin J1, Sabre2-150 and PD143R.....Loving it!

ok so I'm also a dork and have pics....

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Be prepared to search far and wide for a used Odyssey with a Sabre2 190 - heck, be prepared to search far and wide for any used rig with a zp 190 main... they seem to be rare at the moment.

Best dealers... give your local dealers a chance to make the sale. You might pay a bit more than you would ordering online or over the phone but it can be nice to have someone right there to measure you and work through the order forms with you; takes some of the frustration out of ordering new gear.

Dude, as far as i'm concerned there are two rules to follow when buying your first set of gear.

1. DON'T get pushed into downsizing too quickly.

and 2. Brand new gear ain't always the best route to go. (us new jumpers tend to smudge a few landings - it hurts more on brand new gear :P )

Like Dave said, talk to your instructors and other experienced jumpers who have watched you fly and land a canopy, they'll give the best advice as to what size main and reserve you should buy. Watch your wingloading.

After talking to my CI i've just bought a used Mirage G3, a 170 Hornet with a 150 reserve. Now all i need is a cypres.

Decide on which route you want to go too. If you want to free fly, make sure you get a free fly safe container.

Then go have fun ;)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I most definately second the recommendation of a Wings. I've put about 400 jumps on mine and can say nothing but good things about the container and the company. The customer service is by far the best in the industry.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Javelin simply cos I like the look of the odyssey. What are other recommended containers?

Most skydivers will recommend you the container they are using. So basically you can choose between Javelin, Mirage, Wings, Voodoo and Talon FS, Infinity, Vector 3 and some people will even recommend the Racer :P.
I think the decision is up to you- some of these containers are cheaper (Wings), some have added bonuses (like the Skyhook on a Vector), some look way cooler than others (like my Voodoo) but I think you can't really go wrong with any of them.
Take your time, check out all the options that you have and then decide what you want.

Lets not forget about the Vector 3.
It has a feature that none of the competition have and its worth considering. That would be the

Skyhook

The Javelin IS a bit nicer looking (in my opinion) but not much. Both are great looking rigs.
I bought from RWS because of this feature thats only available on the Vector 3. The Vector 3 is also a bit less expensive than the Odyssey.

As to dealers I can only speak about the one I used. That was

The Skydiving Outlet - Deland

The prices are GREAT and the service is unbeatable.
I cant recommend them enough. On a scale of 1 to 10 they get an 11 B|

Did I seriously see a picture of someone half naked on a "New Rig" Thread?!?:o

Too funny..

Anywho, whatever your choice of container is, the best way to order it is be measured by the dealer, so that your measurements don't get all sorts of screwed up. Find a dealer close to you/your DZ!

C'ya!

Thereza

Subject to the decision you'd make about WHAT KIND of rig and canopy are best for you, I see nothing with buying that "right system" used if you can find it and it passes inspection, whether from a dealer or someone you feel you can trust. I am leery about buying something used sight-unseen over the Web if it doesn't appear reputable.

I jump 2 rigs now and sold a third one last year. In each case, I have jumped with or been trained by the sellers. Not that this is for everyone. I had to buy a Cypres for one and a reserve for the other (based upon what was being sold to me) to complete the systems.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Remember to buy a harness/container system that FITS you right... not necessarily one that just looks good. On the main canopy, I like my Sabre2 and have been jumping Sabres since I got off of student status. I have a tempo reserve as does Chuck and am fully confident that it will do the job if necessary.:)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Or you can skip the rig and just buy one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2560098644&category=11889

LOL!

They sell anything on ebay!!

And to think I was just about to blow that spare $200000 I found in my pocket on something other than a portable wind tunnel!!

>My ideal setup would be a Javelin Odyssey and Sabre2 190 and
>probably a PD reserve.

Check out the Pilot as a main. Very similar to a Sabre2, just not as much of a front-riser swooper - but for your first canopy that shouldn't be too important.

The Vortex is essentially a Javelin copy. I've poked around a few of them and they look well made. They are cheaper and available more quickly than a Javelin.

PD makes pretty good reserves. Tempo and Amigo are also good choices and may save you some money.

At this point, I will only have a PD reserve in my container. After talking with quite a few different riggers when I was looking to buy my gear a bit over a year ago, that is the conclusion I came to.

I've got a jump on both a PD reserve and a Tempo.

To be honest, I'd take either one. My Tempo opened beautifully, flew great (needed a little right input), and landed beautifully. I can fit a PD-160 in my rig or a Tempo 210. You do the math.

And before anyone jumps on my having to add toggle input to get it to fly straight, I had to add toggle to counter a turn on the PD-R as well.;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Id say probably best not go new for a first kit. Apart from the hairy landings and gettting kit dirty, in general containers can only take a canopy 1 size up or down from what it was built for. This may hinder you later on. (This has affected one guy at peterlee)

Also, you can often sell 2nd hand kit on for close to what you paid for it, assuming its in pretty much the same condition as when you got it.

Also, most rigs are just as safe as any other rig. Generally all that varies is the look and cost. Some do have new innovative systems (Skyhook on the vector) but all containers I have seen are reliable and have saved lives. If a container werent safe you wouldnt be allowed to jump it.

Also, because you're in the UK getting america equipment new from the states can bite your ass with import tax when you import it. To stop this either go pick it up from the states (that an expense in itself), buy british (Xerox or Teardrop from Thomas Sports) or through a british dealer (dirtdive sells wings, Dropzone Sports sells new Vortex 2s).

I know someone just bought a custom built Teardrop with all the extras, Sabre 2 135, speed reserve and cypres 2 for £3300.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

hey sunnydee123 nice looking rig! i just bought a new mirage g3 and it is really nice! its nice to have stuff that actually fits.my first rig was an older vector that was way too big for me.anyway let me know how you like the saber2150 im thinking of having one of those for my next canopy***if you are going to be stupid you better be tough

I LOVE my Sabre2.....and will probably downsize when the time comes to another one. That's about all I can say - I JUST LOVE IT!

Nothing wrong with used gear right....whatever makes ya smile and gets ya in the air!

What are the openings like on a Sabre2? Ive had more than 1 person say they are hard openers??