kelel01

When to learn to pack

Hi! I've been posting all over this website for various questions, so here's another one. When is a good time for me to learn to pack? I'm almost done with the AFF program (1 jump left! Yea!) and I don't even know the FIRST THING about packing. Is that a problem, or should I wait longer, what? I really have no frame of reference here, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Kelly

I took my DZs packing class around 17 jumps. I was getting tierd of waiting for everyone else to pack for me, and I needed to pack one and jump it for my A.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Now is a good time:) Finish your AFF, then they'll give you the a-license card which you need a pack signed off on anyhow. Take a class at ur dz and then do a few pack jobs and jump 'em. Your instructor will sign you off on it, and the more you do it, the better you get (unless you're me, in which case you're still gonna suck! lol!)

Good luck!
Angela.

Some people learn to pack (year) before they start jumping. I know some kids who pack who are years away from jumping. There's also people with a few hundred jumps who never learned to pack, they just get an instructor to sign off the two pack jobs. I would say that now is a good time to learn though. :)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

People at my dz suggested I start learning to pack after jump number 2. I thought they were slightly insane at the time, but flat packing really isn't all that complicated. I still can't fold a tablecloth, but I can flake like crazy.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

Learn to pack as soon as you can - Then when you get that new-to-you rig, you can spread it out all over you living room floor practice packing it. The more you pack, the quicker you will get, and you'll discover your own little tricks and techniques to get that sucker in the bag in no time.

What I can't understand is people (reletive newbies) that will miss loads because they're waiting for some one to pack for them, because they never learned to pack or never took time to practice, then when they do actually pack for themselves it takes them two hours and they're lucky it doesn't mal. I've met people with almost 100 jumps that never learned to pack for themselves. Don't be one of those!

Easy Does It

I had multiple packjobs under my belt before I even began AFF, but in short AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!

Just make sure that you learn off someone who is a good teacher. There is a difference between just packing and packing with the knowledge that you know why your doing each step.

Most important... think about all those jump tickets that are wasted cos your $$$ is going to the packers!!!

You should definately learn soon. Why not?

It will save you time (not at first!) as you wont haev to wait for someone to pack a canopy for ya. Plus, its progression in Skydiving, which is always good!!!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

Now would be a good time. Generally we start em off packing at around jump 3 or four. I have noticed a pattern at our dz that IAD students seem to start packing early. AFF students generally need a kick in the ass to get them started and they generally tend to avoid it where possible. Don't know why but it's true.

Tony
The big difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for money usually costs a lot less.

I started when I got my own rig which was around jump #12. What I did not like was that every time I needed to pack, someone different helped me, and I kinda had to do it their way. First I packed pro, then 2 or 3 flats, then psycho.. I was a confused little packer!
I also looked online for instructions on how to pack. The more I read about it and did it, the more I understood the process and it became much easier.

Just try to get the same person to help you each time when you are learning. When you have a better idea of what you are doing, you can refine your packing process and pick up tricks from other people. And if ever something doesnt look quite right, dont be scared to ask. You'll get it!

I took a flat packing course at my home dropzone, but never really used or practiced that method.

When I got my first rig down in palm beach, I was taught how to pro-pack it immediately.

I'd say the sooner the better, and make sure you understand each step so you're not just going through the motions.

Start packing now.
You are jumping big forgiving rigs now, as compared to that new elipical you might have in a couple of 300 jumps. If I were able to choose which rig I would preferr to mal because of a bone headed packing mistake, its a rig loaded 1 to 1 or lower.
Normally student / rental rigs have enough jumps on them that the material won't fight you. Unlike new Zero P, learning to pack is hard enough. Unless you get a new canopy in said rigs.
I have several friends who still can't pack after a 1000's of jumps. Which isn't bad as they can aford to pay a packer, but sucks at a boogie when the packers are backed up. Plus if you are jumping your ass off and the packers are busy I could usually beat the packers if I packed for myself.
Hey maybe its me but I want to understand my gear and when your new there is nothing like looking at a canopy over and over to know what is what instantly. Makes reviewing any issue easier to say name a part of the canopy was wrong, than to say that line hooked to that thingy did not look right.
When asked who I trust more packing me or my packer, she wins everytime. Truse me she rocks, but I still trust myself to pack.
Finally why learn twice. My girlfriend learned to pack and caught on quickly, then quit packing. Around jump 100 she decided to start packing and had to start all over again. I stayed away for a while. Repeating a class sucks.
My opion, learn it and stay current.

Bobby

And how is that girlfriend of ours?;)

In the military we taught people how to pack before they jumped. They would pack their own rig for the FJC....

Back in my SL days we would teach around 3 or 4 jumps, or as soon as we had the time after that.

At most AFF DZ's some people never learn to pack...Which I personally think is stupid..They don't know their own gear....They trust someone else to inspect it for them. (Someone that is getting paid by packjob...so they don't spend a large amount of time inspecting it.) And they never seem to get over gear fear.

My Ex had 900 jumps and didn't know how to pack.

My old teammate didn't know how to assemble 3 rings.

Don't become these people.....
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

learn to pack NOW, you'll then understand how and why your parachute deploys, how some malfunctions can happen, and you'll be able to check the general state of your canopy
in my country you learn at jump 2, cause the rig is usually already packed when you do your first.
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

I took a flat packing course at my home dropzone, but never really used or practiced that method.

When I got my first rig down in palm beach, I was taught how to pro-pack it immediately.

What is the difference between the two packing styles? Is one better than the other?

Kelly

After my 5th jump on AFF, I started asking people who pack at my DZ all day long to show me how. Then, after about my 7th AFF jump, I asked one of them to watch me pack and give me pointers. After that, it was just a matter of finding my own groove and learning the little tricks that make it easier for me. I just hated waiting for someone to have time to pack the student rigs I was jumping, making me miss lifts I wanted to be on. Usually there will be people at your DZ who are getting paid to pack. If you don't want to take a class, or your DZ doesn't really offer a class (or you want to save your pennies for lift tickets), just ask people to show you how and have them watch you pack a few times. Just try not to wet yourself when you jump your first pack job. ;)
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

AFF students generally need a kick in the ass to get them started and they generally tend to avoid it where possible. Don't know why but it's true.

Tony

I know that I felt a bit hesitant at first, asking someone to show me how to pack as a newbie student. I didn't want to step over my boundaries or tick anyone off. Perhaps it's a mild fear of the unknown, potential reprisal that keeps AFF students from asking about packing right away. Had I known how many people were more than willing to help me learn, I would have asked around my third jump.

It's not anything concrete, just an intangible feeling that if you ask someone to teach you how to pack, that you'll spend the rest of your life doing it...uh, I mean you'll upset their routine. Yeah, we'll go with that second sentence-ending. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I am taking the packing class on Thursday I have 13 jumps under my belt. I don't know the first thing about packing and I am kinda scared to pack my own and jump. It sucks waiting around for somebody to pack your rig. I know I could of made 10 loads in a day if I knew how to pack instead of 2 :S