SkydiveNFlorida

Any reason to get a 'b' license?

The only benefit I see is you can make night jumps. So, i'm wondering, other than that, is there any reason not to hold out and just pay the fee for the 'c' license down the road? You don't *have* to have the 'b' to get the 'c', you just have to have completed it's requirements and those for the'c'. I just can't justify spending the extra cash unless for some reason there are boogies or something where a 'b' license holds more weight than an 'a' license.

Thoughts/info?
thx.
Angela.

There may be some gatherings that need a B license. If you plan on attending one, just get it then.

Other than currency requirements, I don't see any pressing reason to get the B license.

Edit: Read the requirements though and read through the appropriate sections of the SIM's. It's good to be familiar with the SIM's.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

From what I've heard, most Balloon jumps require you to have a B license, other than that...a lot of people want to be able to say they had A, B, C and D, but you can skip if you want to save the $$. I just payed for my A license at 49 jumps, but I think I'm gonna also buy a B license within the next month or so, so that I can make a balloon jump if the opportunity arises at Eloy

there are boogies or something where a 'b' license holds more weight than an 'a' license.

Interesting! I wonder where ... and why that is?

I got all mine on the way from A to D, but that just helped ME measure progression. (I'm very goal orientated) Apart from that, I agree ... not a lot of difference.

So, Ian, if i've fulfilled the requirements (ie, water training), then if something comes up I can just take the test and fax the app over and be good to go, right? I don't plan on any balloon jumps in the near future, but if some arise, I might want to be a part of it... however, i'll probably complete the 'c' requirements in the next 9 or 10 months anyhow, so I don't know if I wanna toss the extra cash out when I could put it toward jumps/ canopy classes/ etc.

Thx.
Angela.

Yeah that's pretty much it. If possible, try to give yourself enough time to get the paperwork processed. Although, if you write the test at the dropzone you want to perform the activity at, they'll generally let you do it seeing as they just watched you write and pass the test.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Interesting! I wonder where ... and why that is?

The one I can think of for sure would be the South of the Border boogie held in Mexico in March. B is required cause you land on the beach.

I think WFFC was B or better too, but I didn't go so can't say for sure.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Other than currency requirements, I don't see any pressing reason to get the B license.

USPA recommends, but does not require, recurrency training.

If you have a lay-off over 90 days, then getting a B-license saves you money:
-- With just an A, over 90 days USPA recommends a Cat D (level 4) AFF jump at $125-175, or a Cat B (practice pulls) IAD or static line jump at $25-45.
-- With a B, all you need is a jump under an instructor's supervision, which can be as little as a 5-minute review of your jump plan, at no charge.

I imagine going 90 days without a jump opportunity is rare in Florida. Here in Minnesota and western Wisconsin, it's quite common.

Mark

Do most places require an actual license? Or is license qualified sufficient? [Assuming person already holds at least an 'A' license].

Say, someone attends a boogie that requires a B or C license to do something, would having every requirement completed for that license, but did not submit for the actual license, be sufficient? Is it more dropzone policy or is there an explicit regulation?

I'm only talking about events and boogies and such.

Do most places require an actual license? Or is license qualified sufficient? [Assuming person already holds at least an 'A' license].

actually, I thought it was the same way too.

but to answer the first question... I have 120 jumps and I still haven't gotten my B yet. Its that damn water training!!! I was just planning on going straight to C, but now with the new requirements, I'll probably get my B sometime.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I think WFFC was B or better too, but I didn't go so can't say for sure.

Nope, just a fifty jump requirement. I jumped at the inagural Rantoul and they didn't care one bit that I'd never had a liscense.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Yeah that's pretty much it. If possible, try to give yourself enough time to get the paperwork processed. Although, if you write the test at the dropzone you want to perform the activity at, they'll generally let you do it seeing as they just watched you write and pass the test.

Blue skies
Ian

My experience regarding paperwprk for the licenses has been that Once it's faxed, it's pretty much no longer an issue. Especially if it's faxed from the DZ.
If you're jumping at another DZ, have your paperwork with you for them to inspect, and it shouldn't be a problem.
I don't know the policies of every DZ, but as stated above, this has been my experience.

Stay safe.

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

I personally only have a "B" and a "D"
Of course I had the luxury of being somewhere that let me jump w/o a license.

I am familiar at this time but as long as the DZ is cool with it just jump until you get the license you want.

Yes, there are Boogies that require a "B" and some that require a "C" It just depends on the place.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Don't worry about it Angela. B|

I know a guy who didn't even have a license until he got his D. That's still the only one he has, and apparently the only one he needs. ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I went from A-D as well. I was able to do night jumps at one place with just being B-license qualified (all requirements plus the test). However at another DZ they would not let you do them without physically having the "B". I believe they are changing the SIM so you can do the night jumps only being qualified though.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

It's only $20 to take the test and get the license and you know especially in our little neck of the woods, winds can sometimes be an issue and a B will get you up more than an A ;)

It's all a matter of preference I think. I was a big dork and got each one along the way just because I wanted to and I never knew when I would get to the next one......(yeah right)..........

Everyone has there opinion, do what feels right to you. At the end of my first year (1/26/04) I am making a scrap book. Have gathered tons of stuff from all the places I've been and all I've done. Those excess USPA cards will make lovely additions

Hugs, D.......D27113

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Thanks everyone. It's cool to see that many of the parties have an "or equiv" clause. 20$, huh? I suppose I *could* go ahead and get it, it isn't that expensive. We'll see. Who knows when i'll get the water training done, I need a weekend day. Night jumps do sound like fun, although i'd be a little paranoid about landing at night, i've seen some bad stories.

Thanks all!
Angela.

There are pros and cons to having the different licenses and I personally feel that the "B" and "C" mean less than the "A" and "D". Sunnydee did bring up a good point about having at least a "B" so that you don't get left off loads when the winds creep higher. But then jumping in winds suck and staying on the ground isn't always such a bad thing. Another positive aspect of having a certain license is the recommended USPA jump currency times. Obviously, the higher licensed you are, the longer you can go without jumping.

For many places being a certain license type qualified is just as good as having the license ("D" being the exception I guess). And if this is the case at the DZs were you may jump, then being qualified will still get you on the loads while saving you some $$$.

I skipped my "C", but often when someone wants more than one consecutive jump signed, then I'll sign their logbook using my "A", "B" and "D" numbers. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over