nissin

Broken fingers at Perris - look for the green light!

Yesterday at Perris, a jumper left the plane well after the red light went on, actually just after the plane started into a 180. He ended up landing in town, and broke some fingers on landing. Make sure you check for a green light before jumping out of the plane!

How about checking the damn spot! Screw the light... it's only a guide. It should be is the spot right? Yes Is the green light lit Yes OK Jump.

I think it should be both when you have it. The pilot has access to information you don't about winds on the ground and comm with other aircraft and a view of what's actually comming from the other side of the plane.

It takes common sense! If the light is on, check for traffic, check the spot and jump. If the light is off, stay in the plane. The spot could be perfect but the pilot sees fit for me to stay in the plane, so I do.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I think part of the problem...and this is no knock towards turbine dzs, I love them...but most don't put much emphasis on teaching spotting.

It's not that they don't teach spotting, it's just that turbine dzs, IMO, discourage new jumpers from spotting loads. This may be because of the time factor, oops I screwed up the spot factor, etc. Especially when GPS spotting is usually so accurate. But if more people spent time actually looking before they jumped...or for that matter, orienting location while in freefall, there would be less chance of this type of injury.

The poor spot is what caused him to land in the city, rather than at the dropzone...I don't know the details, but would imagine the broken fingers are due to the difficulty of landing in a city. We were jumping at just 6000 ft because of clouds, so even if he realized the mistake right away, there would be no chance of making it back to the dz.

-- Ei nirobh akashe aka porchi

We were jumping at just 6000 ft because of clouds . . .

Not really sure what part of town you're taking about, but from 6,000 AGL (hell even 2,000 AGL) there are probably a LOT of options for a nice open field anywhere over the town. The town just ain't that big.

Any ideas on where this person actually landed?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

THe pilots at my dz use the gps pretty damn well, but when i went through aff i never spotted for the 'whole load', i did learn to spot while the pilot set up normally using instruments etc. And still check spot regardless if i'm first out or last out (granted if i'm not first it's more of a glance to make sure i'm still relatively near the dz as i exit). While i was learning to spot and check winds etc. i routinely asked the pilot questions who was more than helpful in providing me with answers right before exit and such. I was never discouraged from spotting but more encouraged. The first couple of times after i learned to spot i had people asking me if i had spotted before and then still conveying tips on things to do.

I'm not really sure why the jumper didn't check the spot or even have someone helping them check the spot (if they were new to it). Just seems to fall back to that golden rule they taught us growing up 'Look before you leap' ;)

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

>We were jumping at just 6000 ft because of clouds, so even if he
>realized the mistake right away, there would be no chance of making
> it back to the dz.

Just this Sunday I landed off the DZ (intentionally) and I didn't break my fingers. It is generally possible to land just about anywhere, especially if you have 6000 feet to prepare. Most canopies will cover 3 miles from 6000 feet; that's 27 square miles of places to land.

Obviously the two main problems are an inability of the jumper to spot or recognize that the airplane had already started a descent, and a landing problem. Both issues have already been addressed on this forum.

Unfortunately, many people don't spot very well, and often jumpers getting ready to exit are focused on things other than the green light. It's easy to miss the change in light status either because you are spotting, or just focused on your exit. Some drop zones have solved this problem by sounding a bell or horn when the pilot turns the light off, and thus getting the attention of the jumpers about to exit. Some larger airplanes have an alarm horn/bell already installed, and others can be easily outfitted with an airhorn like those used by 'dickwads' at football games.

...just a thought.

Tom Buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Wait, you mean he landed in Moreno Valley? Jeez, that's a bunch of no good.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Thats what my DZ uses. A quick beep of the horn and wait for the go around. Its as simple as zip tying an airhorn to the side of the pilot seat or something. And yes on my aff3 my JM had me sit by the door and watch the spot (head outside).

Make sure you check for a green light before jumping out of the plane!

I wonder what would you do in my dz where there are no lights to tell you when to jump.

When the plane is align to jump run stick your head out the window, look down, give instruction to the pilot in case there is a drift or are above clouds, yell CUT and jump, much better than trusting a light but thats only my opinion.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

***When the plane is align to jump run stick your head out the window, look down, give instruction to the pilot in case there is a drift or are above clouds, yell CUT and jump, much better than trusting a light but thats only my opinion.

We yell POWER OFF BRAKES ON, 182 can be a bitch to load up when the wheel still spinning:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yesterday at Perris, a jumper left the plane well after the red light went on, actually just after the plane started into a 180. He ended up landing in town, and broke some fingers on landing. Make sure you check for a green light before jumping out of the plane!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Can't remember what a red light means in Perris, but in Pitt Meadows, it means "stay in the airplane!"
Green light means go in Pitt Meadows.

Sounds like our hero needs to develop two skills: pre-spotting and paying attention to pilots.

Pre-spotting requires pulling your head out of your a&&, er airplane for the last two minutes before exit. Visually checking altitude and landmarks are important parts of pre-spotting.

Paying attention to pilots is also important if you want to survive the exit. If he exited a DC-3 or King Air before it is configured for jump-run he would be lucky if he only left a massive dent in the horizontal tail!

seems to me 3 miles times 3 miles is 9 square miles and 3 times more is 27 cubic miles if i want to land on another airplane. is my math fucked up or am i just buzzed. then thro in the spot and the prevailing winds
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

We yell POWER OFF BRAKES ON, 182 can be a bitch to load up when the wheel still spinning:D:D

Have tried that. "ooh, just a wee bit further out so the others can...

"...watch my flailing arms and legs as I fall off the plane".

Was fun though B|.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst