SonnyChiba

Natural Skydivers?

Sonny....
You look great in the pink helmet!

Man I tell ya......wear a pink helmet once and you NEVER live it down!!!! :P

Haven't seen you since Bridge The Gap! Where ya been? I'm always down for playing in the sky, just let me know when and what load!

----------------------------
"Insert witty quote here."

Where ya been? I'm always down for playing in the sky, just let me know when and what load

I've been sick. Sigh....I've been out a few times since BtG, but midweek, and not weekends.

Once off the meds, I'll be back...rest assured. I am so spacy from the meds I was walking past a magazine rack and misread a glossie title as "Corking". Upon second glance, it was actually "Cooking", but still, can you tell where my head is?

OH! And I've got a great shot of you wearing the pink helmet. Well, actually, Chris Fiala does, but I have a copy. neener neener nahooo....
I'll pm you when I get the clearance from the Drs, and we'll make a date. Did you ever see the vid of me trying to sitfly? LOL, I look like a dying fish flopping around, but never stayed on my belly...

Hugs, Toson. You rawk, even if you wear pink protecs.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Scratch, that's getting printed out and put up on the wall at my DZ

Me too. That's great.:D

About 'being a natural'... I did 13 practice paper pulls. 13, instead of three or 4. No PFF option at the local dz, so it was just me and that damned paper towel tube...:S

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Lets make a poll to see how many of us have passed AFF by once, as natural skydivers.

:P:P:P

Me!!! Although i'm not sure 'Natural' is the best word to use! Luck comes into it along with great instructors.

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

"...there's nothing a few thousand jumps won't fix". I can't remember who I heard say that - but its pretty true...almost...

I started on SL/RAPS/whatever

j1 on SL) "Head down, de-arched, kicking, screaming..."

j10 on DP's) " I said leave the risers alone! Your left hand is to go infront of you ABOVE your head on the count '2' as you reach for the DP"

j12 on DP's) "You bleedin dipstick!!! STUDENT ARCH - ARMS WIDE!"

j17 on DP's) " Your twatting hand will be the death of me or YOU! Straight SL again!!!!"

....at that point I gave up on this method of learning, went to France and with the exception of forgetting to pull on L2, did a perfect AFF course. I suppose some just aren't natural at SL! I still don't think I could do a DP (Hope'n'Pop's easy) as it's 'nothing like what it's really like'!

I suppose the same applies to AFF with some people? Either way, if you're having fun, who cares how long it takes you to get somwhere?!?!?

Regards,
Mike

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

if you're having fun, who cares how long it takes you to get somwhere?!?!?

Regards,
Mike

Exactly!!! Learning to Skydive is the most enjoyable experience of my life so just enjoy and dont try to rush things - its all good!!

"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

You're not worse than this guy - Ian Smith. It took him 52 AFF jumps to achieve his 'A' License. Yes I am not kidding - 52 jumps! In his word, "I am not exactly the world's most natural skydiver". Shame he's no longer jumping. I really adrimed him for keep trying and didn't gave up! His skydiving pages are really interesting to see his struggles progress.

Check his website out:-

http://www.iansmith.co.uk/skydive/index.htm

mm.. now I'm starting to doubt if my additional 2000 euros and 3 weeks of jumping holiday will be enough to pass AFF [:/]
His logs look way to much as my 6 AFF jumps so far..

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Julie, a good friend of mine, was on the 300-way with ~400 jumps. She's on Deguello now and is considerably better than I am at 4-way. She'll be getting a gold at Nationals within a few years, and (I'll bet) with under 1000 jumps.

Which Julie are you talking about. New to Degullo this year?

ya know.....i think i might know the julie you are talking about. extremely cool chick? jumps at perris, elsinore, and skydive san diego? i say hi to her every time i see her elsinore or if i'm down at skydive san diego......and i just noticed her wearing a deguello team suit about a week ago. really cool girl.....and from what i hear an awesome flyer.

----------------------------
"Insert witty quote here."

I took to it pretty well but still had some issues as a student. After I gained some experience and took on something new, I would not take to it as fast as some of my peers.

What has served me well is some advice I got early on in my career: two of my instructors who I was (and still am) good friends with told me not to be in a hurry, rather to get really good at where I was first, then move on to advanced maneuvers or a smaller canopy. Those were magic words for me.

The result, so many years later, is that I have become a skydiver who is very good at very basic things. I am a "utility" skydiver who can adapt to many things and many disciplines. Also, I have never been hurt other than a sprained ankle or a bruised heel.

On the other hand, I have taught and have been around many "natural" skydivers, including a good friend of mine who has nailed every single thing he has learned from the git go. It used to frustrate me, but now I just learn from him and make myself better. He does the same from me and we kind of feed off each other.
Arrive Safely

John

First of all, thanks for the very entertaining AFF progression story. :D:D:D

Second, I would not be disgraced by any of those tales. Look at how much fun you have recounting the experience.

I was terrified through most of my AFF. There were points of exhilaration and joy but mostly terror. I too remember getting a little "help" to be peeled off the outside of the otter on my Level 1.

Why I continued to go back was truly a mystery. Did I really enjoy the tortuous torment of walking to that door every time? I guess so.

I squeaked through every level of AFF but looking back my performance was far from all pretty. I did what I needed to do based on a fear/survival reaction. Basically primitive scared shitless form. It really took me about 20 jumps to relax. :D:D:D

But it was always GOOD B|
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

ya know.....i think i might know the julie you are talking about. extremely cool chick? jumps at perris, elsinore, and skydive san diego? i say hi to her every time i see her elsinore or if i'm down at skydive san diego......and i just noticed her wearing a deguello team suit about a week ago. really cool girl.....and from what i hear an awesome flyer.

Dude,

Did I mention she is hot, too?!?!:$ She was jumping in the Wine Country Invitational this weekend. Hey Sonny, weren't you in that formation? Oh, wait... I think that was Chaz.:D That's okay, everybody thought Doug was freeflying today.:o:ph34r:

If there is such a thing it's not me... :P

35 jumps to get license
Only 1 stand up in the first 20 or so jumps (and that's when I forgot to pull)
Landed on runway with jump plane taxiing towards me.
Held onto pilot chute on deployment (started to go for my handles when I realized something was in my hand) :S
Landed off countless times (on good spots)
On my swoop and dock for my license I tracked in and hit my instructor (Somehow still got the license)

I think the only way I got through student status was the HAC (Hot Aussie Chick) method my instructor came up with. It consisted of:

Instructor: You see that chick?
Me: Yeah
I: Here name is Tania, You think she's hot?
M: Duh, hell Yeah!!
I: Okay before we exit breath and say "Ahh, Tania"
M: Okay
I: And I want to see you do it in the air too.

Damned if it didn't work. I had a muse!!! We told her about it on the ground afterwards and she was amused but also thought it was weird. He still uses her for students today.
When I start coaching/instructing (if it's true what they say that the worst students make the best teachers, I'm gonna be great at it) I think I'll use the same technique.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.