BMFin

Tell your BAD experiences about rigs as carryon..

I know the title on this thread is "bad" experiences, and I don't have one to share. I guess I've just been lucky, and I do lots of traveling. I've done the check in and the carry on, with out a second look. Except for the weights that are in there with my rig. Those get more of a look over then the rig. Go figure.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Af ew years ago, a buddy of mine and I were traveling to Perris, and were told by the check in lady that we were not permitted to carry on our rigs, and a baggage handler would meet us at the plane to put them in the baggage hold. Sure enough, when we got to the door of the plane there was a guy waiting for us to take our rigs. My buddy pointed to his reserve handle and said "Pull this, and you'll have a hell of a mess on your hands..." the guy looked at us, looked at the handles, and said "get on the plane" with a smile on his face. We got on with no further problems.B|

Shawn

When and where were you not allowed to take your rig as carryon ?

It varies from airport to airport. I know Oakland is a no go for carry ons. Security there threatend to call OPD on my husband and he was in Full Uniform (Pilot, Alaska Air Group). Since then, we always arrive early, check it in, and watch it until it clears additional screening. A bit of a pain, but you get used to it after about 50 times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Ryannair not only wouldn't let me take mine on - but due to the fact that I was going back to college and had a whole rig and an extra container - I was a bit over my weight allowance - which costs 6euro per lb! - so having bought my seat for 26 euro - I had to pay 72euro for my rig to fly with me!
that was Dublin to Edinburgh

I had tons of trouble taking out of Auckland airport ... Taking it in was no problem they just had an issue with it being taken as a carry-on on the way back - 2 hours later and lots of calm explanations to each person starting with the security guard and ending with the airline duty manager eventually saw my rig being taken as a carry on.

Also on the same trip I had a bad experience at LA
but again lots of time and patient explanations got the result that I wanted !!!

Having said that I've flown in and out of LA 6-8 times recently and that was the only trouble I've had.

The strange thing is my 2.4M kayak gets a much easier ride despite weighing 20 kg and being much more bulky !!!

When and where were you not allowed to take your rig as carryon ?

Flying out of Houston, on a Continental flight. This was pre-9/11 before all the current security BS. Parachutes were legal as carryon by both the FAA and the airline, as long as they met size and weight restrictions, which mine did.

When I got to the plane the pilot was standing in the doorway greeting the passengers as they boarded. He stopped me and said he would not allow me on his plane with the parachute. I explained that it was his corporate policy that it was legal. He didn't care - the pilot has the perogative to do whatever he wants. I asked him to explain why, and he said "it might frighten the passengers". Doh!

So I had to run all the way back to the airline counter, put my rig inside a box and send it to the luggage hold, then run all the way back to the plane, and barely got on in time just before they closed the door. Then all the way on the flight, I'm wondering if my rig made it into the belly, and if it would be there for me when I arrived... Fortunately, it was.

This incident is what led me to start hiding my rig inside another bag for carryon. It's more cumbersome to carry that way, but it eliminates stupid reactions. And once aboard and at my destination, then I take it out of the big and wear it over my shoulders for ease of carry, and smile broadly at the flight crew as I offload. It's too late for them to say anything at that point!

A couple bad experiences, all post 9/11 since I didn't start skydiving until after. British Airways flight to Tel Aviv: security kept passing me up the chain of command saying they'd have to open my reserve, until I demanded to speak with the pilot who was a skydiver and let me box it up and put it under the plane. I've checked it on all my travels since. Delta flight back from Florida about a month ago, I got home, opened my luggage, and my main was open. This is against policy to do out of the sight of the rig owner and I've received some written apologies, but it still made me nervous...

I can just see trying to explain to a whuffo security guard why he can't open the reserve...

Yep, that can produce some anxiety too. On another flight, I had my rig hidden inside a bag trying to avoid trouble. But when it went through x-ray, they didn't like the looks of the cables and coiled springs. So they opened the bag, and decided to lift the rig out of the bag. And what better way to lift it out then to grab it by that shiny metal handle that looks like it is made for that purpose! As the guard grabbed the handle, I grabbed his wrist and said; "Don't pull on that." As you can imagine, it got his attention, and all the other guards as well. So at that point I told him what it was and why he shouldn't pull that handle, and then he was all smiles and started asking whuffo questions about skydiving. No problem.

John Rich- do you still jump out a Skydive Houston? I was a student out there in 1997-98 ...

Yep, still my regular hangout. Who are you?

Just had my first (yes i said FIRST) carry-on rig experience. My buddy and I travelled home from Florida (Fort Meyers) to Flint, MI. We walked right through no problem. A few looks of amazement as they sent it through the screener-thing-a-magig. They said "oh, a parachute" or something and that was it. :P