funks

Would this piss you off?

Yeah, I too read that comment from HankNotDan. Not sure where that came from. Definitly out of line. And if you really feel like saying crap like that, at least have the courtesy to say it to ones face. Nothing worse than people talking tough on a computer.

Not sure really what the rules on these forums are, but regardless, that was uncalled for. You may not agree with Funks, but telling someone they are lucky they didn't get shot in the face? Give me a break.

Forty-two

Wow, why can't thins thread just DIE? I mean really, there's way to much attacking of one another here.

Stupid Thread. :S

DAMN YOU THREAD! YOU GO TO HELL! YOU GO TO HELL, AND YOU DIE!!!

**runs away screaming**

but really, maybe just lock this down or somthing before it starts spilling into other threads.

Wow, why can't thins thread just DIE?

I dunno, you posted to it. You tell me...:P

Now if you really want it to go away, you'll start talking about Hitler. According to at least one person with the ability to lock or delete threads, mere mention of that single word means the thread is dead...:S

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I've been watching the post and well this is what I have to say about it.

First off, why don't you have a D license if you have 250ish jumps and your motorcycle accident was July? You have time to get that in before the deadline. Where is your 170 Sabre? Do you have your own gear?

I do not have my D license because I have not gotten the night jumps in. Not sure why this is any concern of yours??? My Sabre 170 is currently sitting in my dining room...does that answer your question as to where my Sabre 170 is?

Did you honestly think you can show up at any dropzone with no logbook, no nothing, and just expect them to bow down to your demands?

Hummmm, I have been jumping there for over a year now and never had my log book on me. No nothing? Does the A license I produced constitute nothing? Are you sure you read all the posts? I expected them to bow down to my demands? Please provide a quote where I said that.

Had you showed up at our dz with NO logbook, nothing, you would have been put through a refresher course to make sure you really know what you are doing and you would be on student gear. Had you given us grief about being put in the harness or a refresher, you would not have jumped.

Let me clarify one more time. I have been jumping there for over a year. Many people there know me as a familiar face and have jumped with me. One more clarification, the only grief (if that is what you want to call it) is that I voiced my opinion stating i did not think the harness was necessary and not in a dickish way whatsoever.

Why didn't you spiral down? I know it was asked several times, but I didn't see a response from you as to why.

Actually, I responded to this a number of times. I did not spiral down because I chose to let it fly for as long as possible. Once again, go back and read ALL the posts.

Like so many others said, what are they suppose to do shut the dz down and have EVERYONE go look for you.

Please provide a quote where I said I expected the DZ to shut down. You cant, because I did not say that or ever expect that.

I hope you can change your attitude about RECURRENCY and what is expected of EVERY dropzone when it comes to situations like yours.

You have obviously chosen to comment way late in this thread. My attitude was never poor. I did everything that was expected of me. The people that have said I had a poor attitude have openly admitted to being asses, difficult, and obnoxious. My attitude all along was very lighthearted. You have obviously chosen to pass judgement based on these peoples comments. Poor judgement, but your right to do so.....

See replys above....Anything else?

Actually, I responded to this a number of times. I did not spiral down because I chose to let it fly for as long as possible. Once again, go back and read ALL the posts.

Do you now at least accept that that was the wrong thing to do under the circumstances? If people knew you realised that they could at least feel like somebody learned something from this thread.

This is what I don't understand. Would spiraling down necessarily have helped? Maybe getting out of the high winds at altitude more quickly would help, but spiraling isn't usually going to keep you from drifting farther from the DZ as opposed to holding into the wind. During a spiral, you're going to drift approximately with the wind speed away from the DZ (assuming you're starting overhead or downwind). When holding, you'll drift at the wind speed minus your forward speed (assuming you're backing up). Of course the winds usually decrease as altitude decreases, so maybe spiraling to get down to lighter winds could help. But how sure is everyone that spiraling down would have kept him closer to the DZ? (Keep in mind this is a manta, not a Velocity.)

Dave

Could he have helped his bad spot by holding both front risers? That would have increased forward speed (and sacrificed altitude), right? It's been awhile since I sat under canopy (grounded), so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm trying to gets SOMETHING valuable from sifting through this thread.

and funks, give me a safety concious a$$hole instructor ANY DAY over a guy too cool to remember his goggles, remember basic freefall speeds, or practice safe skydiving.

"Nothing is written"- T.E. Lawrence

and funks, give me a safety concious a$$hole instructor ANY DAY over a guy too cool to remember his goggles, remember basic freefall speeds, or practice safe skydiving.

A guy too cool to remember goggles? What the hell are you talking about??? Do you think I was trying to be cool by forgetting my goggles???? Once again, what the hell are you talking about??? Please respond with something, cant wait to see it ...do you know me? Have you ever jumped with me? No, you havent because I sure as hell dont know you. If you knew me and had jumped with me and knew firsthand that I was an unsafe skydiver I would have no problem with your comments. However, DO NOT COMMENT ON SOMETHING YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT...Just to reitterate, please do not comment on my skills unless you know me or have jumped with me.

The spot was not bad I was right behind him in the jump order and I got back fine from 3k, there was also a jumper behind me dumping at 13k which also made it back with out problems though he was not flying a 280.

Personal attacks, attitude and all that aside the instructors intent that day was to have a safe skydive. funks could be the god damned 'Woodsy the Owl' of Skydiving Safety :P but that day in the eyes of his Instructors and fellow skydivers he wasn't. Obviously a poor job has been done trying to communicate that to funks. The instructors I know all have their own methods of teaching (some yell, some hand hold, etc.) but I am assured the underlying message is nothing but beneficial to the skydiver be they a student or D holder. There is stuff to be learned here (probably from both sides) whether we want to hear it or not is up to ourselves.

-PvtPyle
(trying to bring this thread to a close...but kinda feel like that spam email you get about stopping spam)

Personal attacks, attitude and all that aside the instructors intent that day was to have a safe skydive. funks could be the god damned 'Woodsy the Owl' of Skydiving Safety :P but that day in the eyes of his Instructors and fellow skydivers he wasn't. reply]

I am still waiting to hear what shows that i was an unsafe skydiver that day????

The joking around about getting in the harness? When in fact I did get in it and practive every maneuver i was asked to practice?

The fact that I forgot my goggles on the first load? Dont really see how that makes a skydiver unsafe, considering a lot of people have done that at one point or another. Does that make the people that were telling me on that load to go ahead and jump without the goggles unsafe? No, not in my mind it doesnt.

The fact that I made a comment about not wanting to belly fly simply because my preference is freeflying? When in fact on the load I forgot my goggles we were planning on doing the belly jump had i not forgotten the goggles.

The fact that I chose to freefly a student rig of which not one person said not to freefly that particular rig? (if you disagree and plan on saying I was told not to freefly that rig I expect you to tell me who told me that) The only time the freeflying was an issue was when Ostrich said he demanded we do a belly jump, at which point i obviously agreed to because that was what we were gonna do on the first load.

The fact that I originally made a comment that I wanted to jump from a lower altitude to try and avoid a terminal opening because of my knee. At which point Ostrich informed me that the opening would be no different from normal altitude. I then agreed with him and went to normal altitude.

I have never been an unsafe skydiver and have never participated in an unsafe skydive. With that said, I am still waiting to hear what made me an unsafe skydiver on that particular day???????????

I'm commenting on your attitude on dz.com, and I think most of the posters here are doing so as well. You're right I've never jumped with you , and I never will, based on the attitude you've shown here.

Forgetting goggles is no big deal, but it shows you weren't focused on the skydive, and that is a big deal, considering it was a recurrency jump.

"The too cool to remember goggles" was really a combination of your resistance to practicing EP, your lack of basic skydiving knowledge, and lack of focus on the skydive. Based on your own postings here.

I retract the statement if it makes you happy

Now, can anyone competent answer my question, would front risering have got him back?

Skydivers are so judgemental.

funks... blow it off. For the record I've forgotten my goggles as well. Big deal, forgetting your goggles is not a flag, that was just a stab. The rest of the details, ya know... I just don't care enough to comment on.

Whether or not you were light hearted about what you wrote in this thread, doesn't matter. It was taken how it was taken. Boths sides of this arguement (not debate) are judgemental.

Shit happens folks.

I could write many stories bitching about landing off and no body picking me up. I've got a great story about no body going after my cutaway main and freebag, and by all means someone should have. But alas, It didn't happen.

Blow it off folks. Is any of this going to matter in 6 months?

And now back to your regularily scheduled programming.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The fact that I chose to freefly a student rig of which not one person said...

Did you ask anyone?

I'd think at 250 jumps some 200 of which freefly, you should know at a glance what rig is safe to freefly and what is not.

What did the S&TA say when you asked him/her?

, your lack of basic skydiving knowledge,Now, can anyone competent answer my question, would front risering have got him back?

You comment on my basic skydiving knowledge and then follow that statement up with a question about front risering??? Isnt that somewhat Ironic.

Think about it. The purpose of front risering is to increase your forward movement, both vertically and horizontally. Obviously the winds play a part in how much horizontal movement you will achieve. Would it have gotten me back any quicker, from that altitude no because of the winds. Would it help at a lower altitude where the winds were not that strong, perhaps...however, my vertical movement would also be increasing at the same time my horizontal movement was increasing, thus defeating the purpose of gaining maximum horizontal movement to make it back.

Generally when you are long, riding the rear risers is what you do to provide maximum flight to make it back. Once again though, this all depends on the winds you are dealing with.

Yes I'm aware rear riser on a lon spot/cross country, but I thought you were just a bit high on an OK spot.

Sounded from your description that you had altitude to burn.

no offense but clearly you were not competent to handle the situation, as you handled it poorly IMHO.

I'll ask in another thread the only people still here seem to be interested in flames before knowledge.

>I have never been an unsafe skydiver . . .

One of the key parts of being a safe skydiver is to recognize dangerous situations and avoid them.

>and have never participated in an unsafe skydive.

You made a solo jump while uncurrent, a type of jump that's a bad idea with the rig you had, and had a premature deployment. If that's not your idea of an unsafe skydive . . . please think carefully about whether or not you would make this skydive again. Next time you may kill the guy above you, or your mal might not be so survivable (i.e. might be a horseshoe instead of an out-of-sequence that cleared.)

>The fact that I chose to freefly a student rig of which not one
>person said not to freefly that particular rig?

Just the fact that you do not know how to safely skydive with the equipment you jump with.

Everyone makes mistakes; we're all human. But it sure sounds like you have decided you did nothing unsafe on this jump - and that's a very dangerous attitude to have, because then you never learn anything.

>Now, can anyone competent answer my question, would front risering have got him back?

Not sure if I'm competent or not, but Derek did some tests a while back on glide angle and front risering. Bottom line - front risers do very little to get you back when you're downwind. They may help slightly, but generally just make you come down faster.

no offense but clearly you were not competent to handle the situation, as you handled it poorly IMHO.

How can you pass judgement as to how i handled the situation when you are here asking everyone else how the situation should have been handled??? Dude, dont be a jackass. Let me ask you this? If I couldnt handle the situation then generally that means I wouldnt have walked away from it. Tell me brainchild, how would you have handled it? Oh yeah, i wont expect a response because you are waiting for people to tell you what you should have done.