Hazarrd

Physics Class and Skydiving

I am taking a Physics of Sport class right now and the class is mostly based around a big project. You choose a sport and have to come up with a thesis and gather the data on your own. However, the physics department has a budget and the professor is willing to buy me anything that will aid in me successfully doing the project. I am already getting JumpTrack software package. Any other ideas? I already have a ProTrack. Maybe get another? :ph34r:

.-.

Yes, another protrack. You keep the new one and give your nifty colored one to me B|

Everytime a post something on here Chris you are there! Why are you stalking me!! Check out the weather for freezefest...50 on friday!!! :D

I stalk different people for different reasons.
I'm stalking you because I want that colored protrack!

It says 50 now. By Friday it'll say -45 with 35 knot winds B|
If it actually turns out that way I'll blow off work Friday!

A project could be to proove or disproove all the wild theories about how canopies "want to turn downwind", or how canopies "dive quicker in no wind", or perhaps revisit Kallends exit separation work.

I would think you would need to do at least a hundred jumps to (dis)proove any theory...

A GPS device like the one Quade mentioned would help you with any of those problems.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I think you need a few new canopies..... look at the areodynamics of each, how the characteristics work, why different canopies are needed....

plus it'd be cool to get free canopies out of the deal;)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Keep your project in the realm of the do-able. I'd recommend avoiding issues such as canopy aerodynamics. Maybe get an accelerometer and measure opening forces. Or perhaps consider airspeed as a function of time from exit (this is more interesting than most people think)

fwiw, I am a physicist. Best of luck.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

perhaps two protracks (or more;) - but two at least) and examine how different positions on your body effect the readings. Keep one in a fixed location as a control and then move the other(s) arround.

Also possible to mess with in different positions.

Then get some tunnel time (skyventure or scientific - perhaps scale model skydiver if you only have access so a small tunnel) and see if you can model the burble that is causing the fluctuations in the protrack data (smoke in the wind stream etc).

Then post data on here so we know where to put the protack to get the most accurate data for any given dive.

Neptune or other digital alti... see how much altitude you lose in different types of turns, and analyze what the parachute is doing in each type. How the brakes work, how the risers work. . . How flat turning helps to conserve altitude, etc. Brian Germain is an excellent resource for info on how a canopy flies, maybe you can get some help from him, too:)

Angela.

There is a neat toy out there that measures the g forces under canopy it is made by geeklabs. I will try and find there web site address for ya. They sent us a sample but none of us are smart enough to get it to work right. If it is there dime it may be somethng you are interested in. Pm me if ya want.
Dom