jejejelle

diving exits and hop&pop

inspired by skyange1`s cypres save thread i`m thinking about the following..

is it possible to dive out and after clearing the stabilo yank the PC and open your chute ??

i`m really not sure :) I keep visualizing myself flipping over my canopy and/or getting entangled with the canopy or PC because of the relative wind coming from behind

any thoughts about this?

Wind is wind.

Think about the relative wind on exit. As long as you've got yourself belly to the relative wind it should open fine. If you dive out, then the relative wind should be hitting your belly. You'll be head down to earth, but belly into the relative wind.

Its fun to do, just like any other deployment, make sure you're stable.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>>is it possible to dive out and after clearing the stabilo yank the PC and open your chute ?? <<

Yes. That is how I normally do hop and pops. Go out diving down just like you are a late diver chasing a formation. Pull.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

what you are describing is basically the static line exit. just jump out, belly into wind, head up, and hard arch while you deploy.
a little bit harder without the strut to help, but we have hundreds of these exits every year at our DZ with no major problems.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I dont know what aircraft you are using, but Ive pulled while standing on the step and the chute always cleared the tail, yanking me right off the step. Its an awesome feeling because the whole chute opens horizontal rather than vertical. This was of a Cessna l80 usually, and referred to as a pull and clear instead of a clear and pull..

Bill Cole D41

By the way...Im not advocating anyone try it...

Did the pilot know you were going to do that? If he/she did, then they may have had the plane at a different angle/slip to help you out.

I know I wouldn't want to pull standing on the step of a 182, or in the door of a King Air for sure. Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I would ever want to do that.

Too bad there isn't any video of you doing that Bill, that would be something to see!:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ive done it without the pilot knowing, and with. Some were done during the filming of a beer commercial at 1000 feet. The side slip probably helps, but I found it worked without it. The whole canopy and lines strings out alongside the plane, and the canopy actually begins to inflate behind the aircraft, pulling me off the step.

Bill Cole D-41

what you are describing is basically the static line exit. just jump out, belly into wind, head up, and hard arch while you deploy.
a little bit harder without the strut to help, but we have hundreds of these exits every year at our DZ with no major problems.

static line students diving out backwards?? ;)I did S/L progression and we sat in the door, never thought of diving out with S/L , maybe something to try also this weekend :)
hehe j/k think if i did that they ground me for sure

but Ive pulled while standing on the step and the chute always cleared the tail, yanking me right off the step. Its an awesome feeling because the whole chute opens horizontal rather than vertical.

Oh my goodness, does sound like scary fun.:o

would that be possible out the door of an cessna grand caravan?? not sure about the tail :)

static line students diving out backwards?? ;)I did S/L progression and we sat in the door, never thought of diving out with S/L , maybe something to try also this weekend :)

no no, they aren't going out backwards. I think i may have explained it wrong then... you want to have your belly into the relative wind, and facing the front of the plane.
and you really aren't diving out... you are jumping sideways out the door, and then pulling immediately while maintaining a hard arch. it would be just like a PRCP, but only hopping sideways out the door instead of hanging onto the strut.

MB 3528, RB 1182

no no, they aren't going out backwards. I think i may have explained it wrong then... you want to have your belly into the relative wind, and facing the front of the plane.
and you really aren't diving out... you are jumping sideways out the door, and then pulling immediately while maintaining a hard arch. it would be just like a PRCP, but only hopping sideways out the door instead of hanging onto the strut.

I don't think that is what was described in the original post. He clearly wrote about diving out.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You might better be able to help if the situation jejejelle is describing from the other thread is more fully described.

What happened was there was an aircraft emergency and the pilot ordered everyone off low. Because of the low altitude and loss of an engine the orientation of the plane was of a climbing pass.

10 people got out fine but one person did a poised student style exit and hit their head on the tail precipitating a cypres fire.

I think the full question jejejelle is asking is "What would be everyones reccomended exit pos for such a situation? Either for main or reserve?"

(sorry jejejelle if Im putting words in your mouth)