scottjaco

Mike Mullins King Air

I just got an e-mail today that Mike Mullins King Air will in fact be at Skydive Taft, CA starting Dec. 6th!!

Jump tickets are only $14 dollars to 14K.

This is great news. Since Air Adventures West got shut down, nobody in Southern California could get to 14K! it was horrible! All the dropzones around LA
are only 12.5K (Perris, Elsinore, Cal City and SanDiego) once in while we would get to 13K but very rarely.

(The King Air that AAWest used is currently in hybernation at Skydive Cal City)

7 minutes to 14K! I think I have a new favorite dropzone!!

Has anybody here ever flown in it? what is it like? I heard there is a stereo system, I wouldn't mind listening to some tunes on the way up to altitude!

scott

What they tell you about the climb time is true. Don't be too worried about the tunes 'cuz you won't have much time to hear them! He comes to WI once a year (Schiocton) for a little boogie. It's awesome!! B|

Don't tell me I can't! I already know that! Haven't you seen my x-rays?

AA West was my home dz. Ive been out to Cal City, and theres Wills King Air, dont know if they fly it much. Im jumping at Taft, and I'll be jumping Mikes King Air as much as possible. If your heading this way, let me know. Im a lowtimer but I love meeting dot commers.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Its air conditioned, I imagine heated also since he takes the HALO jumpers to 30K, Intercom system, plays tunes. Rear facing slave style seating and a raised platform for two people to stradle right next to the pilot.

Very short ride to altitude followed by a little zero-G while he planes out for jump run. People were warned don't Fart or you get out ( everybody ) Now, regardless of altitude and location.

Smallish door if you are not used to a King air and a tail lower than the otter you are use to. After the last is out he puts the craft into a steep nose dive that some jumpers were paying a load ticket to stay aboard for.

Hope this helps.

Urban Legend

The story has had various subjects (A sky surfer, A free flier, 2 freefliers and I have heard it with 4 free fliers). Eack time I hear it I let the story teller continue to see how far out it gets.

The Story; The subject/s get on the plane and Mike asks on the P/A "What is out first?" Subject says he (skysurfer / freeflier/s), Mike has an argument with them over exit order and when they still say they are out first Mike gives them the "EXIT EXIT EXIT" far from the DZ. The distance in the story is between 2 and 25 miles.

The Truth: At a boogie Mike wants to get to exit as fast as possible and would never go 25 miles out.
When Mike asks "What is out first?" he is finding out how early to call the exit (deep for an 8 way with a long climbout or short for a solo). He has never tried to dictate the exit order while trying to take off.
Mike would never deliberatley give a bad spot possibly leaving a fellow jumper with a disastrous off field landing.

Where the story originated: At Quincy about 4 or 5 years ago 2 French freefliers had an argument at the boarding tent over exit order. The 8 way flat fliers asked me who should go first and I told them "belly 8 way first and then the freefliers".
When they boarded the plane the free fliers sat near the door, Mike asked "What is out first?" and all the jumpers shouted "8 way belly". Mike set up the spot deep for the 8 way climb out and called "EXIT EXIT EXIT". The freefliers slid the door up and said F#*! you to the belly fliers and exited first, They were less than a mile from the DZ.

If you hang around long enough someone will tell you the story and will be adamant it happened.
It did not!

Andy

Don't coun't it as a guarentee that you will go to 14k every load. I've been on a few loads (very rarely though) in Mikes plane where we got out just at or under 13k. ATC does'nt exactly like little planes like King Airs darting into the path of 737's coming in for landings ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Right, that is why Perris (usually) only gets 12.5 because of Ontario Airport.

There isn't much air traffic in the Taft area...
It's kinda in the middle of nowhere...about 90 minutes north of Los Angeles.

At Air Adventures West (my old home dropzone) they had permission from Taft Airport to go above 12.5K without asking permission for each load. We always got 14K.

scott

AA West was my home dz. Ive been out to Cal City, and theres Wills King Air, dont know if they fly it much***

I was up there one time when they actually did use the King Air It was so nice to get back into a King Air...I learned to skydive in that plane.

My protrack says we got 14K!
Since CalCity is 2.5K above sea level, we were actually about 16.5K MSL. That was awsome! Screw Hypoxia, I want my 14K!:P

ooh ooh ooh! that is my FAVORITE all time airplane!!!!

mike rocks!

guaranteed zero G on exit. don't stand up until he is ready for you. you'll know when! teeheehee.

seriously, f-ing great lift!

his high altitude jumps are way freakin' cool too!

24,000 feet, Exit, Exit, Exit!

How about somebody tell the story of Mike and the freefliers at Quincy from a few years ago?

ThreeKnees In The Breeze

and this one time at band camp....and I caught a fish TTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS big.

Now I think Andy answered your question.

:ph34r:
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Don't coun't it as a guarentee that you will go to 14k every load. I've been on a few loads (very rarely though) in Mikes plane where we got out just at or under 13k. ATC does'nt exactly like little planes like King Airs darting into the path of 737's coming in for landings ;)

You must have farted if you didn't get to 14,000.:D:D:D
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Put it this way dude. Ive jumped Mikes plane alot here in Tenn and Alabama. We just tried to beat him to the ground..its close sometimes...hes fast and the ride to Altitude is like unbelieveable..believe that...I think you will like it...;)..Doug..
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

What they tell you about the climb time is true. Don't be too worried about the tunes 'cuz you won't have much time to hear them! He comes to WI once a year (Schiocton) for a little boogie. It's awesome!! B|

Twice this year!

Oh, yea, he got rained out both times. >:(
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Mike's King air is da bomb-diggety. I've jumped out of it the last 2 WFFCs. 2k' per min. We were blasting by otters that had already taken off. This last WFFC, Mike challenged his son Jeff to do a back flip under a zero-G because his young brother had already done it that day. We all had to clear an area by the door and while Mike pulled out of the climb, Jeff did a back loop. It was awesome!

By the way don't worry about having to get up when it's time to exit. The zero-G will float you onto your feet.

Whats to be scared about? You wont land off because it takes off and climbs almost straight up above the DZ.
Its a fast comfortable climb so you wont have too long to dread about it.
Mike LOVES to fly as many loads as he can, so there will be as many as you can handle.
Just don't fart! Actually that plane is so fast it doesn't give most intestinal systems enough time to build up differential pressure... If you fart you were obviously pushing!