scott6363

Shoul I jump again?

I made my first jump last fall, and I loved it. my friends say I have a death wish.
I Scuba, I have Bungee jumped I Snow Ski double black mostly.
And have done this http://www.aspenparagliding.com/
I did a SL jump last fall the instructor said I had no fear and it worried him, But I just am not afraid, I have 2 ex wives that screw with me and nothing scares me.
I was on a cormercial flight a while back and had a woman afraid to fly next to me, I told her my story and about 2 bitchy ex wives and explained how the plane could explode and these seats would survive.
She forgot about her fear of flying.
But I dont act stupid and am aware of people around me, I think about safety and dont want to die.
Am I doing this with the right state of mind?
My first jump was great I loved it.

Try something other than a SL jump, like AFF1, then come back here and tell us about it. ;)

To seriously answer your question: If you want to keep jumping, then yes, keep jumping. Just realize that it's not a sport to joke around with, or show-off in (at least not while you're a student). If you wanna impress the ladies, don't get yourself killed, that'll impress them.

Be smart, think, listen, obey (your instructors, not me, I know nothing).

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

My personal feelings, if you don't have some fear at some level, then you either don't understand the whole picture, or you're not in the proper mental state to skydive. Fear is something that keeps you sharp in this sport. It's what makes you do gear checks, weather decisions, piloting decisions, etc. It's what keeps you alive, the fear of dying. Individuals experience fear at different levels. It doesn't mean you can't overcome and become more comfortable with fear, but it's still there at some level.

My guess is that you everybody experiences, at least "butterflies" once in a while. Sometimes it takes an incident to bring back those "butterflies". Bottom line is complacency kills in this sport. Lack of fear at some level leads to complacency. That said, I'd reevaluate what you mean by "no fear".

Blues.
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

I want to do it again. Is AAf the way to go?
I had a friend I worked with years ago that was a skydiver and she went the SL route and was still jumping last I heard.
I plan on doing this more as soon as it quits snowing.

In my opinion, yes AFF is the way to go. Although, again, I know nothing. But even with that being said, I think the majority would agree with me that AFF is better than Static line. Depending on how you define "years ago", your friend may have started skydiving before AFF was even around.

-Kramer

S/L is outdated training. It is still around but I don't think it will be for long, at least not in the sport industry. AFF or Tandem progression into IAF is the way to go. Some may disagree, but I think you'll find a lot more that agree.

Blues
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

I don't think you should jump again.

I think you should get married again, and maybe swim with sharks after walking barefoot across the coral, or maybe explore the edge of active volcanos in Teva's and shorts. Do some backwards solo climbing ala Tom Cruise in MI2 as well, and walk the streets of Bagdad in a Boy Scout uniform.

You have no fear. It should be fun. Keep us informed of who your 3rd bitchy ex wife is going to be as well!;)

t
(roll feeder..)
It's the year of the Pig.

I disagree with the aff-guys. If you loved the static line jump so go with that. At least the way we do it in sweden it is a lot cheaper and you get a lot more jumps for the money. 30 instead of 7, so when you finish you are a better jumper than the aff students. Tho only reason for aff is that most students chicken out during the sl course (because it takes a few jumps before you get to experience the freefall and that is some of the fun that takes away the fear) so the aff is a way of keeping the students. One other reason could ofcourse be that the dz makes more money on someone paying $800 for 7 jumps instead of $600 for 30..
In your case you don´t seem to be likely to chicken out so i´d say go on with the sl course.
BUT.. don´t be to tough going around saying that it´s not scary, because most people are not really afraid on the first jump.. it´s the second one when they start realising what that actually are doing thats scary.. good luck and if you should find the sl too hard you can always change to the aff.. but that course is for wimps ;)

...and walk the streets of Bagdad in a Boy Scout uniform...

You really crack me up Tonto LOL. Maby you should try standup comedy, you seem to have what it takes;)

As we in Africa know - "If you're going to be dumb - you'd better be tough."
- Tonto

I am with Kramer on the AFF. Freefall is wonderful. The best part of the jump for me. My very first jump from an Airplane was AFF Level 1. S/L. . .I cannot speak for it because I have never done it. The advantage I see to S/L is that you have more time to get solid canopy flying skills.

If you love it go for it. I am glad I did and cannot wait to get my license.
FGF #6
Darcy

If you are a young jumper with little experience in the sport and no instructional ratings, then you have no idea what you are talking about when you start comparing different training methods and "which is best." Please refrain from stating so until you have that experience.

The bottom line here is that all methods of instruction lead you to the same level of proficiency by the time you are actually off of student status (read: A license). This, of course, assuming you jump at a DZ with a proper student training progression.

Chuck Blue
D-12501
AFF/SL/TM-I, BMCI, PRO

S/L is outdated training. It is still around but I don't think it will be for long, at least not in the sport industry. AFF or Tandem progression into IAF is the way to go. Some may disagree, but I think you'll find a lot more that agree.

You find alot of AFF Babies that know nothing about the S/L program don't like AFF.

There is nothing wrong with Static Line..In fact I think it is much better than AFF in some areas.

Most SL kids learn how to pack and spot.
Most SL kids have better canopy control.
Most SL kids are not afraid to leave an Airplane low.

What is most important? Learning to turn points, or survive?

Today everyone wants it NOW, and AFF gives it to them fast...And thats not always good.

Before AFF was popular there was no need to have ISP or the "coach rating".

Of course you may disagree....But since I have been doing this 10 years, know both the SL and AFF and Tandem progression program, and have tought two of them....Well I would go with mine.

But feel free to think what you like.

Im sick of new jumpers slamming a program they don't understand, just cause its not "cool"
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If you are a young jumper with little experience in the sport and no instructional ratings, then you have no idea what you are talking about when you start comparing different training methods and "which is best." Please refrain from stating so until you have that experience.

Aw come on Chuck, he's got 14 jumps!
:P

S/L is outdated training. It is still around but I don't think it will be for long, at least not in the sport industry.

S/L is not outdated, and it will be around for a long time. I remember when AFF first came out, People started saying the same thing. Guess what, there are still lots of DZs that offer S/L. There are a number of reasons why, but the main ones that come to mind are:

Smaller DZ don't have the money to get AFF rigs.

Smaller DZs don't have enough AFF JMs to go around.

Like it's been said here before, the end result after training with S/L or AFF are the same.

One thing that cracks me up with some of the AFF students, is when it's time for them to do their hop n pop. Most of them are worried about getting out of the plane below 4,000 feet.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I don't think you should jump again.

I agree, if you had "no fear", why was it a rush?

I would like to know exactly what you meant by "no fear". Do you mean you were complacent, everything is wonderfull, or just not as nervous as most are their first time to skydive?

If you were complacent on your first jump, no don't get into our sport, simply because complacency kills and I don't like reading the incident reports every month of another avoidable death.

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom

Most SL kids learn how to pack and spot.
Most SL kids have better canopy control.
Most SL kids are not afraid to leave an Airplane low

Why do the static liners do better with packing? (not trying to argue, I'm honestly curious about that one)

I haven't done my hop and pop jump yet due to this infernal winter, but I can see how they would have a definite leg up on me with low jumps. Maybe I'll take a day and do a SL just to see how it feels, might not be a bad idea for me, especially if it gives me a little psychological edge on that level. Heck, I'll take any little help I can get.

I wasn't scared on my first S/L jump either... I was to exited to be jumping out of an aeroplane to be scared.:) Really scared on the way up.

Only you can decide if it's worth jumping again, but as has been said before, bravery isn't necessarily bad; complacency is a killer. If you do jump again, have a healthy respect for what you're doing.

And don't even get started on S/L vs AFF on these forums! :D :D:D:D

Why do the static liners do better with packing? (not trying to argue, I'm honestly curious about that one)

When I teach a FJC I teach them how to pack in that class. When I used to teach in ARK. We tought them to pack while they were learning to jump. By the time they were on Freefall (6th jump) they were packing for themselves.

Most AFF places (Like here in Zhills) the student just drops the gear off at the packers)

My Ex wife had almost 900 jumps and didn't know how to pack, my last GF had 600 jumps and does not know how to pack. They both learned AFF and never learned how to pack.

That does not happen at a SL DZ.

I haven't done my hop and pop jump yet due to this infernal winter, but I can see how they would have a definite leg up on me with low jumps. Maybe I'll take a day and do a SL just to see how it feels, might not be a bad idea for me, especially if it gives me a little psychological edge on that level. Heck, I'll take any little help I can get.

No need to do a Static line now...Just do a mths worth of low exits where you spot the plane....You will get the same skills (and the skills that most AFFer's don't have) . And they are more applicable now than just a S/L jump.

Go to a Cessna DZ for mth and just start with low exits and spotting..By the end of the mth you should be able to spot from 10 grand, and have no problem exiting at 3 grand.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I did a SL jump last fall the instructor said I had no fear and it worried him

Same thing with me...I was not afraid and it bothered the folks at the DZ.

Im still not scared, but I am a hell of a lot more aware of what can go wrong...

Don't let lack of fear keep you from it, but don't let let it lure you into a false sense of security.

Skydiving will kill you if you screw up. and sometimes you can do everything right and still splat.

It was my understand that Fear (or simple respect for gravity) is what keeps us alert & Safe in this sport. If I had no Fear what-so-ever, even after 250 jumps, Then I doubt I could possibly be as safe As I am now.

With the attitude that I hear from you, may I recommend you take up boxing or something?
=========Shaun ==========

I don't know. I've never done a static line jump before, but I would suggest doing a tandem jump, just so you get the freefall experience, before you start out being a student. That is unless you've already had freefall experience. It's a great feeling (at least I think it is), and you may learn a little bit about the sport.

I'd definitly suggest continuing though. Just keep in mind though that skydiving can be very dangerous, and you need to understand those dangers before skydiving on a regular basis.
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I fully understand I have no idea what I'm talking about, which is exactly why I told him:

I know nothing

I was just tryin to give the guy a hand.

I think the majority would agree with me that AFF is better than Static line.

I don't think too many people would disagree with that comment.

Sorry, I know I sound a little bitey, I just get sick of the "quit acting like you know what you're talking about" messages, when I even admit to that myself in any advice-related message. I really don't feel I said anything detrimental to scott's health, just tryin to give him a little encouragement from one student to another.

Peace.

-Kramer