How did you come up with the cashola?

I got a bank loan to buy my rig.
I will be paying for it for the next 2 years B|

I saved money on training by:

1. Static line progression. Couldnt afford those AFF jumps

2. Getting everyone I could to make tandem jumps for
the discounts. I actually got over 50 people to make
tandems back then

The trick for me was a personal service loan. I hated being (further) in debt, but the rates were pretty good and my monthly payment was something like $60 a month. Compare that to the cost per jump for rental gear and I only needed to make a few jumps a month to reach a breakeven point. I was making WAY more jumps a month than I needed to make it worthwhile. Meantime you're building equity in your rig just like a house or car. AND, you're jumping gear that fits you and is always ready to jump when you are instead of getting snaked by another student or newbie jumper.

A good help is getting someone (family member, probably) to cosign on the loan. Then pay it off as fast as you can (reasonably). I'm guessing loan rates are still pretty low...

Elvisio "debt is the American way" Rodriguez

This post is for people who (like me) had/have to beg, scrap, save pennies, and basically anything to get trained, and buy gear.

My question is this, what did, or are you doing to pay for your training and gear??? Just curious. Thanks

Well, for my training and gear, I work and save, and save and save. For one of my AFF levels I pawned my diamond earrings so I wouldn't over extend my credit card. All I can say is save, save, save. Learn to pack, and pack for money.

But also, back when I went through AFF, we only had 7 levels and I jumped with some great people after I graduated AFF who taught me alot for free. We didn't have all these coach jumps you do now.

Sorry that there is no magical money tree, and I wish I could give you some useful information. You could always ask the gear manufacturers to sponsor you.

Good luck, blue skies, and soft landings

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I started out packing T-tens to pay for my jumps when I was doing S/L training. Then I finally got to move up to manifesting on the weekends. After that, I because an office manager at a DZ. BTW, no longer working at a DZ.

The first PC that I bought, I used my student loan. After that, I've just learned how to save money and find good deals. I refuse to use a credit card. It will just get you into trouble. Yes, it's a ton of money to put out at first, so take your time and ask the DZO if you can work off some of the training jumps. Stay away from the credit cards.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

To pay for my jumps I used up all my savings, and learned to pack and worked manifest some weekends. I also woke up earlier, because my DZ offers cheap hop-n-pops if you're wheels up before 9am.
To pay for my gear... borrowed from my education fund :$
I also work full time when I'm not in school, and part time during the school year.

Hmmmm.....I sold LOTS of stuff. I sold ALL my snowboarding gear, a quarter midget (kinda like a go-kart), and an Imac DV. ;) That covered my student progression, the rest is scraping pennies. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I guess i was fortunate wnough to work enough overtime last summer to put myself through AFF. I worked 6 days a week from July to the end of November to be able to afford it. Now Im going back on the 6 day a week plan to save for my gear.

Honestly I have gotten more enjoyment out of paying cash for it all rather than using credit. Its not easy but it is definetly worth it.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

This post is for people who (like me) had/have to beg, scrap, save pennies, and basically anything to get trained, and buy gear.

My question is this, what did, or are you doing to pay for your training and gear???

Have you tried a life of crime, yet? It worked for many jumpers in the seventies, as I understand it.

There you have it from the masses. Sell your ass for jumps. in one way or another get it dine. The one thing that will happen for sure is, one day you are going to look back and say how come I don't have money to eat, but I am always in the air? YOu will find a way, we all do.
Dom