jkotch

LA Area

I am assuming you mean Los Angeles area, rather than Lousianna...that assumption made, either Perris or Elsinore. I go to both, but as I am at the low timer level, I tend to prefer Elsinore.

They are both very easy to get to, but depending on where in LA you move, the drive can be several hours long.

I'll be happy to give you more info if you do move out here.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Elsinore and Perris are great DZ's. If your a low timer you might like the pace of Elsinore. It is not quite as "busy" as Perris. Both are outstanding DZ's though. really it will come down to what your comfortable with... It is turbin heaven though....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Yeah, we are kinda spoiled here. . .Turbines everywhere. . .heck, in a few months Perris may have that Jet up and running. . .

Different vibes at Perris and Elsinore. . .I tend to prefer Elsinore over Perris but that is really a personal choice. Both places rock and are only about 20 minutes or so from each other.
FGF #6
Darcy

Michele what are the low timer advantages of Elsinore? As a lowtimer myself I maybe should take advantage of these. Please explain.

Not really sure that Elsinore has advantages for a low time, casual jumper, but that Perris does have advantages for more intense jumpers. For instance, with the opening of the wind tunnel a 4-way team could book an early morning session, hop on the first load at 8 am and crank out 8 loads before 3 pm, debrief and then hop back in the tunnel after sunset all without leaving the property. That could be pretty intense if done for a few days in a row. The training facilities and staff available at Perris are pretty much as good as it gets anywhere in the entire world. This is not to say that Elsinore is sub par in the staffing area in fact, they're also excellent, but the tunnel and availability of loads at Perris pushes it way over the top as far as high level training is concerned.

However, a fun jumper with a more laid back approach to skydiving might not find that to be of any real advantage whatsoever. They might opt to go to Elsinore because it can be a bit prettier to look at, the grass is a a bit bigger and better cared for, there's less distance to walk from the landing area to the packing area to the loading area. If you pull into the parking lot at the right time of day and get the right parking space, you don't have to carry your gear more than about 15 feet to the packing area. And the drive from the L.A. area might be a few (10?) minutes shorter.

All drop zones everywhere have their advanges and disadvantages. Each one is just a little different.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I could be moving to the LA area next fall and I want to know where the best place is to jump at (low-time jumper here). Plus, how far and how hard to get to the DZ from LA.

Perris and Elsinore are the two major drop zones. They are actually located not all that far from each other and there are quite a few reasons to visit both from time to time.

Depending on where you live in L.A. (the generic term L.A. encompasses a HUGE area) the drive time could be about an hour to maybe an hour and a half on a good day. That one hour good day can become a two and a half hour nightmare depending on so many different traffic factors it's almost impossible to list them. Major things to consider are time of day and traffic flow.

For instance, going from L.A. to Perris on most mornings is going to be way better than going that exact same route and direction on most the evenings.

Both drop zones are located in micro-climates that are usually quite different from the L.A. area proper. It might be raining in L.A., but perfectly jumpable at either drop zone. Conversely, it could be really nice at your house, but far too windy to jump at the drop zone too. If there's ever a question and you have the time to do it, you should probably make a phone call to avoid making the long drive for no good reason.
quade -

Michele what are the low timer advantages of Elsinore? As a lowtimer myself I maybe should take advantage of these. Please explain.

Um, I feel the prodding from a Perrisite here....keep in mind I learned at Perris, and really do enjoy going there when my friends are there. But....

Well, for starters, the atmosphere is more laid back, and more relaxed. It is a smaller DZ, but has wonderful talent and absolutely wonderful people. (Perris does, too).

Second, and more importantly, there is a camp for lowtimers (sorry, VB, not you...) called ExCeL (or something like that) which is run with decent frequency. It's a "camp", but you only pay for your jumps. You learn all the things which you need to learn with people at your level, and your instructors are some of the most fun folks around. It used to be called Bridge The Gap camp. It is targeted at people just off AFF - through something like 300 jumps, and it encompasses all styles of flying, flailing, and canopy control. It's a wonderful environment to learn in - and it builds and develops friendships.

And Elsinore is smaller. I like that. But the landing area is huge (so is Perris's landing area).

Both dz's have their good points, and both have their bad points. It's personal preference all the way, and I tend to like the easier going attitude at Elsinore...especially since I'm not doing bigways, and I am a low number jumper.

Why not try them both, and see which fits? Or be at both? They are close enough to have that be feasible without any issues at all.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Why not try them both, and see which fits? Or be at both? They are close enough to have that be feasible without any issues at all.

I like the fact that they are close enough that you can visit each one on a weekend. These two dropzones have so much to offer. You really have to check it out for yourself to decide which one is for you. But truthfully, I don't think you need to decide one over the other. Sometimes things are happening at Perris and not at Elsinore. . .then other times it will be Elsinore and not Perris. Because they are so close, this makes for VERY HAPPY jumpers because there is always something going on and something to do. . .Enjoy the fruits of both, my friend. That is what it is all about.
FGF #6
Darcy

Guys, guys . . . let's not get into that aspect of it.

The staff at both drop zones are excellent. To say one is "better" would be silly. Besides which, it's kinda difficult to measure that anyway.
quade -

Having jumped with the staff at both places, I can say neither DZ has "better" staff.

What they do have is different atmosphere.

Elsinore is very laid back. The people over there, instructors and jumpers alike, are more relaxed (although definitely not LAX about safety or anything like that!)

If you have just gotten your A and are looking for people to jump with, I'd say Elsinore's the place.

Perris is AWESOME, don't get me wrong. I still consider it my home DZ. The thing is, there are so many people there that are there to train with their teams and stuff like that that a lot of times they don't want to take the time to jump with a newbie.

It also depends on how outgoing you are. Now me, I won't go talk to people. I'm really shy. So, at Perris, I didn't talk to anyone, until my instructors started introducing me around, sometime about level 5 or so. At Elsinore, I had people walking up saying "Hi, I don't know you!" and introducing themselves.

I guess what I'm saying is that Perris is an awesome place to learn, or for experienced jumpers, or if you're bringing a group of people to jump with. Otherwise, I'd hit Elsinore.

JMO.

at Perris, I didn't talk to anyone, until my instructors started introducing me around, sometime about level 5 or so. At Elsinore, I had people walking up saying "Hi, I don't know you!" and introducing themselves.

Interesting, I had the opposite experience about a year ago. Either dropzone is fine with me...I do need to give Elsinore another shoot. I've only been there once.

Maybe next weekend I'll see you down there!:)

>Perris is a good place to start. Without a doubt, they have the most professional staff.

There are two schools at Perris and one at Elsinore. I have jumped and taught with people in all three schools, and I have no reservations about their professionality, experience or skill.

Perris is a good place to start.

Without a doubt, they have the most professional staff.

That's not necessarily true. I have been a student at both, and I have been a licensed jumper at both. Elsinore has has an extremely professional staff. I have always preferred it at Elsinore because I have always felt that they watched over me as a newer jumper.

The Elsi people have always treated me like family. I really feel the love there and am always encouraged to grow in the sport by the more experienced regulars and staff there. Also, I love the pretty view of the lake and the activities that they plan for us...sharing our mutual love of the sky and our bond as sky brother and sisters.

Both DZs are fabulous, though. You just cannot go wrong with either one, so I would suggest to visit both. Also, Perris is more active during the weekdays, in case that is a concern.

Edited for spelling

For instance, with the opening of the wind tunnel a 4-way team could book an early morning session, hop on the first load at 8 am and crank out 8 loads before 3 pm, debrief and then hop back in the tunnel after sunset all without leaving the property.

Actually, dropping the "without leaving the property" part of that statement, the same could be done by jumping at Elsinore with use of Perris' tunnel. They are only 20 minutes away from each other. It is not an issue to train this way, at all, as I know that teams at Elsinore are using the tunnel, but still jumping at Elsinore. B|

I have been made aware that these two DZs currently have a good relationship and have developed some kind of agreement regarding Elsinore's staff and instructors' use of the tunnel. Both DZs are at an advantage this way. We are all lucky. I plan on hopping in to the tunnel very soon myself.