DBCOOPER

Number of times you have read a waiver?

Another post got me thinking.I can pretty much fill out a waiver with out my reading glasses and score a hundred every time. Did it today.:)
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I've read and signed two.

And I had my lawyer read BOTH of them before I signed them so I knew exactly what I was signing. Sometimes what you THINK something says is not what it actually says, because legal definitions can be different from common definitions.

I always have my lawyer look over any kind of contract or waiver before I sign it. And if he advises me not to sign it, I don't. That's what I pay him for.

well, one for each dropzone I jumped at... I'll read it the first time, just to make sure there's no "first born" clause or something, then (probably even if that clause was there) sign it, and manifest. If I've been there before, I don't bother... I read it the first time.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

25 DZ's, maybe 3 times I've read it. Ones I remember are Perris with the video camera, Aerohio with the paragraph you have to copy and WFFC since they would'nt let me just initial in 30 seconds like I do everywhere else.

I'm not going to sue unless something happens like the Otter pilot chases me all around the dropzone trying to kill me so I don't care about any legal rights to sue. And even if the Otter pilot chases me around and misses, I might not sue just for the comedic value of it if its on tape. :ph34r::P But thats criminal charges that the DA would do anyways so I have no involvement in it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm genuinly surprised that he didn't advise you not to sign a waiver that basically waives your right to sue if anything should happen to you. Why would he advise you to sign it? Does he feel that the paper is irrelevent, and not legally binding?

Angela. (btw, i've read one. I'll sign away my rights if that's what it takes to jump from the plane. That's what i'm there for.)

I don't really read the waiver anymore. I accept responsibility for my own actions excepting very extreme cases of dishonesty, assault, or gross neglegence.
I accept that I can die due to no fault of my own, the nature of the beast.
Neat thing about BASE, there are no waivers!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Zero wasn't an option. What's up?

I just scratch my initials until there isn't any paper left and then give it back to manifest so they can tell me what to X out.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I've never read the damn things. If you don't sign one, you don't jump. As far as I'm concerned, they can send guys with tattoos to break my kneecaps if I ever sue. I respectfully disagree with jumpers who ask a lawyer to review a skydiving waiver. Lawyers know nothing about the sacrament of freefall, they just want to open up a new field of litigation.

I think a 3 X 5 index card giving the DZ permission to kill you if you sue is sufficient.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

If your lawyer had advised you not to sign the waiver, would you have done it anyway, just to make that first skydive?

Maybe the lawyer saw some "loop holes" in the waiver and knew he could get around them and sue the DZ if anything had happened to you.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Had my lawyer advised me not to sign the waiver, I would not have signed the waiver. Different DZs have different waivers, and I'd have looked around.

And no, he didn't just find some legal loophole. He just explained the contract to me and let me know that if I signed it, that I couldn't sue them for negligence or for my own stupidity (which I wouldn't anyway), but that the contract didn't exclude suing for gross negligence.

Read the first one. Didn't read the next 3 because I know the basic deal, the DZ is not responsible for anything even if the staff chops me “into to tiny little pieces.” Anyone get the Floyd reference?

Seriously, if you don’t sign you don’t jump. If you get hurt it’s your problem. If the DZ does something that qualifies as gross negligence and you get hurt the waiver won’t protect them anyway. In short though I understand that I’m JUMPING OUT OF A F****** AIRPLANE AND I COULD GET HURT ANDIT WOULD BE MY PROBLEM.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP