drakeshelby

How often do you get scared skydiving?

How often do you get scared sky diving?

I very seldom get scared. Maybe once in a while on a windy day when I am up high and I hit a little turbulence under canopy but then that is not much of a scare. It is more like an adrenaline rush!
The last time I get scared was doing hop - n - pops and the pilot chute wrapped around my leg.

drakeshelby

never worry about the things you cannot control!!!
drakeshelby

How often do you get scared sky diving?

Never....And SKYDIVING is one word.

If you know the risks...And how to reduce them. and accept the fact you may die anyway..And really accept that.

There is no fear.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

47 jumps and at some level scared on everyone. I still think n the plane ride up sometimes, "Shat the hell am I doing? I can ride the plane down." But once the door opens I'm on auto pilot and out I go. Will the apprehension fade as I get more experience, probably. Part of what I like about the sport is facing fear and calmly dealing with it; it’s part of the challenge.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Really Scared. . .hmmmm, on my second jump. . .AFF Level 2. I was really scared on that one. . .my roomie said I turned pale white. . .I was shaking so bad I didn't think there was any way I was going out the door. But as soon as I lined up in the door and did my count, all fear left me and I just had a great skydive. . .

I used to get scared of the door, but that has left me too. . .I get a little apprehensive when (since I am a solo student) freeflyers who are exiting before me get nervous and say "make sure you give us a FULL exit count and a minimum 45 degree separation." I always think that I might crash into them or something. . .I'll be glad to be off solo student status so this is not an issue anymore. . .lol.
FGF #6
Darcy

The operative word here is fear, which is a normal God given emotion...which tells us to proceed with caution cause we are dealing with things that could do us damage.....
Bearing that in mind I fear every skydive....and that makes me respect it and treat it like it could do me harm...
Anyone who claims to not feel any fear at some point in every skydive is either brain dead or lying.

Every time I throw that pilot chute the little fear creeps up that this time a mal is coming. Everytime I go out the door the fear that this time I get hit on exit and get knocked out....you get the picture...and you can color it anyway you want, but once you lose the fear of what we do, you have become complacent. And that will kill you.

Please do not confuse this with allowing the fear to paralyze and cripple you.....thats not my meaning.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

I got genuinely scared when I reached for my main deployment handle and it wasn't there. That was an awful feeling. I was scared but not terrified when I landed Steven's 135.

My favorite was when Chris landed Judy's batwing - he said, "that was the first time I've been scared skydiving in a long time."

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I've only had 4 jumps so far. I shit my pants every time. Going for another jump this weekend if wheather permits, and I expect to shit my pants yet again. I hope this changes soon, I hate fear :\

As you get more jumps under your belt you will become more relaxed with what you are doing. By all means take your time and never get in a hurry. That helps me to stay relaxed and focused on what I am doing.

drakeshelby
drakeshelby

Never....And SKYDIVING is one word.

Oh please.

Ron are you telling me that if you found yourself with someone swooping the opposite direction and just a few feet in front of you that you wouldn't be a little bit scared that he'd run into you?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Oh please.

Ron are you telling me that if you found yourself with someone swooping the opposite direction and just a few feet in front of you that you wouldn't be a little bit scared that he'd run into you?

I think he is talking NORMAL jumping...Like the "What the Hell am I doing? type"...I have never been afraid of skydiving. I have had things scare me...such as a jackass cutting me off.

I never get scared of jumping. Its like driving a car for me. But there are EVENTS even driving that scare me.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I get scared every time I watch you jump.;)

I am very scared in the airplane until we are at an altitude I can get out at and the a fully open canopy over my head. I don't like flying.
:o
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I dunno Ron. Take a look at his original post. I think he was talking about little moments of excitement that we all have from time to time.

Specifically "The last time I get scared was doing hop - n - pops and the pilot chute wrapped around my leg." I dunno about you, but that would get my blood pumping a bit too.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I dunno Ron. Take a look at his original post. I think he was talking about little moments of excitement that we all have from time to time.

Then my bad. I guess I got him and another poster confused....:SI do that sometimes.

The only time I am ever really scared is when I have to land in an airplane. I'm nervous on every takeoff, landings (in planes) scares the crap out of me. Other than that, I feel like I'm a as safe as possible, and I know the risks.

Ganja

I can definately relate to that. I almost threw up last time I had to land with the plane (all because GWB). Landing with a plane just isn't natural anymore.:S
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I got scared doring my 2nd jump an d5th jump in the AFF course but it was in the plane so I dont realy count it as being scared.
On my 25th jump my slider got stuke and did not get down I was very scared. It was almost a year ago and still ppl on my DZ talk about how paile I was when I landed ;)

...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return...
blue sky
Asaf

I get nervy every time I try something really new.

1st jump at a new DZ always wind me up a little. My 1st jump off a balloon wound me up. 1st CReW jumps. Night jumps still get me goin'. etc.

I've got a (beer) camera jump coming up...

For the first time in a long time, I've started having SD dreams again...
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Wow, no offense to you or anyone answering, "hardly ever" or "not so much anymore", but oh my. These are not the responses that I would have expected.

For me the answer is, Every Time I Jump.

Perhaps my philosophy differs greatly from the majority. If I didn't get scared on every single jump then my safety would be compromised.

The fear that I remember from my first 10 jumps is the same that I felt on my 1800th. This way, the discipline to check my gear never changes - in fact, it may get better as my experience of more danger in the sport increases.

It is just my philosophy.