RyanofOZ

Audible Settings

Just thought I would see what you all set your audible altimeto go off at as far as altitude and why. I have heard several people at my DZ explain why they have theres set they way they do so I figured I would see where everyone else fits in
Oz

Check out THIS THREAD

My settings remain the same as I posted there:

Back when I was jumping an original Dytter (one tone), I would set it for 500 feet above breakoff altitude, to let me know it was coming.

Now I do mostly tandems and AFF, and jump a Pro Dytter. I set the tones as follows:

First Tone: 6000 FT
-500 feet above wave-off for early AFF students
-500 feet above wave-off for tandems

Second tone: 4500 FT
-if my AFF student has not pulled by now, it's about time to assist
-minimum pull altitude for tandems

Third tone: 3500 feet
-AFF student hard deck
-500 feet above emergency procedures altitude for tandems

These altitudes seem to fit into my RW jumps as well. I just mentally factor the tones into the dirtdive so I will know what they will indicate.

Arrive Safely

John

5500 so I've got a heads up on figuring out where everybody is before burning out of there

3500 for quit tracking and get ready to pull

2000 for just about time to MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN

I pretty much freefly all the time and I used to set my dytter for the exact time of breakoff, but now I enjoy hearing my audible early so I can begin to shape the end of the dive the way I want.
Carpe diem

Depends on the jump.
For normal FF (less than 5 way)
4500 break-off
3500 deploy
1500 do something stupid

For larger FF formations it may be as high as 6000 for staging break-offs.

If you're out last I'll bump up the 4500 -> 5000
the 3500 -> 4000. So you have a chance to get back to the DZ

All belly RW stuff:

4000 - the skydive is over (finish the point!) and leave
2800 - time to deploy
1700 - pull NOW / fix what's broke NOW

I have the second and last set a bit higher than my actual hard deck to allow for reaction time between the tone and my doing something about it.

I use these same settings in big ways, even if the break off altitude is higher. For instance, in a recent big way, my breakoff altitude was 7500', and pull altitude at 2500'; the 4000' first warning occurred during my extended track, telling me to make any final course corrections now, and the final two remaining as before.

I rarely change the first warning altitude, and never the second or third. I wear a wrist-mount visual for out-of-profile skydives, because my internal clock is not set properly. And all this is a backup for my vision and common sense (gee, the horizon is getting high....)

1st. warning 5,500 freefly breakoff
2nd. warning 3500 why haven't you pulled yet?
3rd. warning 1,500 stop fighting your main and dump your reserve in to the trash. ( high speed mal, you will be at 1,000 by the time you brain processes the 1500 ft warning tone! I think it is important to mention I hardly ever hear my second or most importantly third warning! As I have made over 400 jumps with the same settings I have become accustom to the tones, and what they represent to me in dealing with different situations.:)