rmsmith

2,500-jumps+, x-brace, & 16-yrs old

???? since when had it been a requirement to hold an A,B, or C licence to be qualify for a D? Most people I know skipped over the costs until they actually need a licence for some purpose and then applied for the highest they were eligible for.

edit- Never thought abought the jumps not counting later becuase they were done being underage- Just looking at the cost issue. If someone does 2500 jumps not needing a licence, whats the big deal to crank out a few hundered more that are eligible. I still don't understand your question on the cost issue. Why should it be any different cost once eligible regardless of age they started jumping at? I am missing something here.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

And AFAIK there is no age requirement to be issued a USPA license.

There are age requirements for USPA ratings though.

Well, sort of. All jumps that are used to qualify for a license must be made "in accordance with USPA requirements in effect at the time of the jump."-See Classification of Skydivers, SIM, Section 3 (c)(a).

Age requirements are listed in the BSR's and are mandatory.

Thus, jumps made while underage can not be used to meet license requirements, and as such a person under the BSR minimum age can not earn a license.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
S&TA
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Age requirements are listed in the BSR's and are mandatory.

Learn something new every day. :)

D. Age requirements

1. For jumps with a single-harness, dual parachute system, skydivers are to be at least, either:

a. 18 years of age [FB]

b. 16 years of age with notarized parental or guardian consent [NW]

For those who don't know, [FB] means that the section is waiverable by the full board. [NW] means not waiverable. I read the above as meaning that a 17 year old could get a USPA license if the requirement is waived by the full board, but a 15 year old could not regardless.

D. Age requirements

1. For jumps with a single-harness, dual parachute system, skydivers are to be at least, either:

a. 18 years of age [FB]

b. 16 years of age with notarized parental or guardian consent [NW]

For those who don't know, [FB] means that the section is waiverable by the full board. [NW] means not waiverable. I read the above as meaning that a 17 year old could get a USPA license if the requirement is waived by the full board, but a 15 year old could not regardless.

I read it to mean a jumper must be 18 years of age unless they have parental consent, and may not be less than 16, even with parental consent. The full board may waive the consent requirement for a jumper of at least 16 years, but may not waive that requirement for a jumper less than 16.

At first look it appears that if a 16 year old wants to jump but his parents or guardian say no, he could appeal to the full board to jump without their approval. In practice, the board wouldn't likely agree to that.

So, when might the full board be tempted to approve a 16 year old jumper who lacks the consent of a parent or guardian? The only case I can think of is a child who has been emancipated by the courts and has the legal right to make his own decisions under law. That's a rare, but possible situation.

Those are just my thoughts and are NOT based on any official USPA regulation or interpretation.

In practice, if a jumper wants to comply with the BSR's he must be at least 16 with parental consent, or 18 without. Obviously, there are some kids who jump in violation of the BSR's, or at non-USPA dropzones. The technical read of the rules says they can not apply for a license based on jumps made when they were younger than the USPA minimums, but in practice I doubt the issue would even be noticed on an applilcation...assuming an instructor signed the application in the field.

So, we have a formal rule answer, and an answer based on how the process really works in the field.

Tom buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
S&TA
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

The only case I can think of is a child who has been emancipated by the courts and has the legal right to make his own decisions under law. That's a rare, but possible situation.

A 14-yr old with a child (usually on AFDC) can legally sign paperwork for their child to undergo an operation in a hospital. Thus, a minor can make decisions under the law.

I still don't understand your question on the cost issue.

I was interested in the license progression where one might have to pay for an A, B, & C prior to getting their D license. But you answered the question with the people you know simply jumping until some issue provokes them to want to become licensed. Thanks!

According to the USPA, a 16 may attend AFF, SL, IAD, training and become a licensed jumper as long as the parents consent.

See 2004SIM section 2-1 para D.

Still up to the DZO

whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Am I reading right? If my 16 year old daughter wants to learn to skydive and she has my consent I can take her?

Is that what that is saying? I thought you had to be 18 years old to jump.

I must be missing something, or am I?

Yep spending all the extra money:)
Don't tell her or it'll cost you:P

otoh you'll never have to pack again:)
If she like it A whole new meaning to being grounded if she doesn't listen to mommy and daddy.[:/]

R.I.P.

Sorry no tandems in the US until 18 or extremely special circumstances.

I have seen a 12 year old tandem. It was when I first started...I thought it was weird but I didn't even know what BSR's were.

dgm
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

Am I reading right? If my 16 year old daughter wants to learn to skydive and she has my consent I can take her?

That depends on the DZO. Some will accept the additional risk that allowing someone under 18 to skydive puts on them - since a 16 year old generally can't sign legal contracts for themselves and some juries/courts don't accept a parent "waiving" their child's rights by signing for them. Some DZO's won't accept that risk, even if the kid's parents are jumpers.

I did my first jump a few years back when I was 17 years old. I had to get the waiver signed and notarized by both of my parents, no exceptions. This past summer I tried getting my 16-year-old sister to jump there, but apparently they have changed their personal rules allowing 16 and 17-year-old's to jump. I guess I could always take her to Canada, eh?:P

whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Is that what that is saying? I thought you had to be 18 years old to jump.

I must be missing something, or am I?

I've never jumped there so I can't comment on the facility.

Texas Skydiving says they will take a 16 year old.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

According to the USPA, a 16 may attend AFF, SL, IAD, training and become a licensed jumper as long as the parents consent.

See 2004SIM section 2-1 para D.

Still up to the DZO

but still does not explain that number :

2,500-jumps+, x-brace, & 16-yrs old

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I guess I could always take her to Canada, eh?

Nope. CSPA rules say no-one under eighteen.

Not true, my copy of PIM 1 (dated January, 2002) states under part 1, Administrative Recommendations and Information, section 1.9

"In the event a person over the age of 16, but under the age of legal majority is accepted for training, CSPA requires that written parental consent be obtained.

Persons who have not yet reached 16 years of age shall not be accepted for training."

Therefore it's basically up to the dzo if he wants to train 16 year olds or not. I know at least a couple of dropzones in the area that do...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone