rest

DC-9 at Perris

source

Perris Jet on Long Final to First Jumps

Perris Valley's DC-9 is inching closer to becoming the world's first jumper-owned and operated jet. It arrived in mid-December after a short hop from it Victorville decommissioning home, sporting one of its own engines and one borrowed from another plane. The second Perris engine should be installed by mid-March, however, and the plane ready for its next flight within a month - but don't be counting pennies just yet for the first load.

"We're working right now with the FAA to create operations and maintenance manuals," said DZ co-owner Pat Conatser, "because, basically, we're starting an airline. The feds have told us it'll be a snail's pace to approval - at least three months, but they've come around as far as liking the general idea. After looking at the resumes and other information we submitted, they became very receptive; now they see no reason to not to make it happen, it's just gonna take time."

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

because, basically, we're starting an airline.

What is it that the FAA sees as any more like an airline than using twin otters? There are airlines that use otters.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What is it that the FAA sees as any more like an airline than using twin otters? There are airlines that use otters.

It's Skydiving bro. The Pilots and the FAA alike hate us.

Skydivers are at the bottom of the food chain.
I would imagine anything they do for us is a favor.

Maybe Perris could grease the wheels a little bit, maybe a bribe of some kind?

I agree with you there. How is this different then the original SD Spaceland outside of Houston using Metro's Otters on the weekend?

Metro was an airline that used twin Otters for puddle jumping, back when you could still buy one new. Jumpers took the seats out and the door off for jumping every weekend and put them back when they were done.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Scott, You guys Crank out enough to keep that Bird in the Air DC-9 at Perris or what?

I know its a Full time DZ but a DC-9? Whew
Turn around must be like every load right?
Looks kinda cool..And man all I want to do is Jump The Jet man...thats it..
Jumped just about everything else almost..

It's Skydiving bro. The Pilots and the FAA alike hate us.

Skydivers are at the bottom of the food chain.
I would imagine anything they do for us is a favor.

Maybe Perris could grease the wheels a little bit, maybe a bribe of some kind?

Right, because the FAA should be skipping through a field of daiseys just because want them to approve this? Oh pahhleeezz. I'm actually surprised that they said 3 months. I know a lot of new Part 135 certificates can take a year and a half. You all seem to be getting off light OR they have been working on this that long already and the timing is down to about 3 months. Either way, this stuff don't happen overnight. And maybe the FAA hates you locally but I would say that isn't true across America. There are plenty of DZs that have good working relationships with the FAA. I've worked with them several times myself in Kansas City and Chicago.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Yah, I've been hearing about the DC-9 for about a year now. I'm sure they started the paperwork a long time before they actually got the aircraft.

I never realized that a special certificate was required in order for skydivers to be able to even open the door of any airplane in flight.

As far as the question earlier about weather Perris has enough jumpers to support such an aircraft?

Well, I think on Weekends, definatly! Weekdays, we generally have at least 1 otter turning loads nonstop and another otter on standby.

The wind tunnel has generated more traffic. With a DC-9, it will crush the competition.

The wind tunnel has generated more traffic. With a DC-9, it will crush the competition.

Why would you feel the need to crush anyone? Competition can be healthy and not everyone is gonna like the same golf course. Sometimes you like the country club. Sometimes you like going to the public, rough course.

I agree totally, I feel this jet will set a new standard for dropzones in America. It's about setting a standard that other dropzones can follow.

Yesterday, to have a good dropzone, you needed a C-182. Today, you need a turbine aircraft.

Tommorow, you will have to have a jet like Perris.

I think it is great to see that level of progression in this sport.

Chris can probably speak to this aspect better than myself. Can a turbine mechanic do the 100 hour checks or whatever on a DC-9? Maintenance just got alot more complicated and expensive.
Mike
Until you've stepped out at 800' in the dead of night with 100 lbs of chute and equipment.. you haven't jumped. AIRBORNE !

Can a turbine mechanic do the 100 hour checks or whatever on a DC-9?

AFAIK, there are no "type ratings" for A&P's so I'd think that any A&P could work on it and any IA could sign off an inspection (it does require an IA to sign off a 100 hour or annual, doesn't it?).

Yesterday, to have a good dropzone, you needed a C-182. Today, you need a turbine aircraft.

Actually, yesterday Cessna were OK because we could jump just about any public airport.
Today, with real estate developments eliminating "outs", industrial parks shrinking airports, and security delays at major airports has caused an increase in corporate jet traffic...all combined are
limiting skydiving presence to fewer and fewer public airports...
Tomorrow, the only DZ's surviving will be the ones that own their own airstrips.i.e. Perris, Chicago, etc...
;)

I agree totally, I feel this jet will set a new standard for dropzones in America. It's about setting a standard that other dropzones can follow.

I think you are diluting yourself. It's no standard. The standard is SAFE aircraft with well trained pilots. That's the standard. The rest is fluff. And no, no one else is gonna need a Jet. Look at what they are going to have to do with it in between boogies. That "other" flying doesn't come easy and you have to shake a lot of trees to get it.

No, DC-9s are not the Otters' replacement. It will be interesting to see how it works out for them. But you sure aren't going to close a 182 DZ just because you have a jet. I look forward to seeing it at WFFC though.

Can a turbine mechanic do the 100 hour checks or whatever on a DC-9?

AFAIK, there are no "type ratings" for A&P's so I'd think that any A&P could work on it and any IA could sign off an inspection (it does require an IA to sign off a 100 hour or annual, doesn't it?).

I would imagine that this Jet will be on a "progressive inspection" program. And that doesn't mean it gets your typical 100 hour. There will be certain things any A&P can sign off and then there are the big things that the IA is needed for. I'm sure they are working all that out and will have it in order for the Feds. This ISN'T your typical jump plane. It's a transport category aircraft jet. I'm sure the Feds will be very active in how all this is run to make sure.

Again, I look forward to seeing this at WFFC this year.

This aircraft is not going to go in service as one of the jump planes on the line. This is a DC-9 comercial airliner.:S I am sure it will be an event plane and fly at boogies and special events. At 130 + or what ever the jump run will be, and a single file exit, there are not going be a lot big way sequential dives made.:P
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals