skygrl70

Suggestions for newbie visiting new DZ??

I'm still a newbie here. My last jump was 11/22...the weather here in Jersey is just too cold for me so I'm going to New Orleans the last week of January...hopefully to jump like crazy. I'm just wondering what is the best thing to do. Observation rides?? Two or three to get myself familiar with the new DZ?? I will be doing a refresher jump. SO should I do the observation rides....or should I just get out of the plane???? I plan on getting to my DZ before then and asking my instructors there. Just wondering what y'all think. Thanks!!:)

bundle up and jump at your DZ if they are still operating at this time of year. If you dress right then you won't have that much of a problem with the cold. Think face protection from the wind, gloves and glove liners, thermal underwear, etc etc. You'll be alright if you get out with the right gear.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

That's your suggestion for visiting a new DZ? Stay where are, don't go?

When visiting a new DZ I'll usually ask manifest to give me the basics, land over here, don't land there, watch out for the rotors coming off the hanger, etc... I also want to see an aerial. After that's all done, I like to sit by the landing area and watch a few loads land, there's a lot to be learned by watching the regulars come in.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Observation rides? I can't imagine why you would want to spend your money on that, but if they permit it (some places do not) and you think it will make you more comfortable, then go ahead and do it. More important is to just make sure you get someone from the dropzone to walk you around and orient you to the facilities. Also, make sure someone shows you the aerial photo to orient you as to the landing pattern, safe out-landing areas, and any obstacles.

Chuck

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will probably spend my first day there getting familiar w/the DZ...maybe one jump before sundown. I'm so psyched to go. I've had alot of people on here suggesting that I just suck it up and jump in this weather. As much as I want to jump, I, myself am NOT a cold weather person. When I'm cold...I'm tense. My safety is my #1 concern, so if I'm gonna be tense, I'm not jumping!!! Wimpy??? Maybe, but I'd rather be wimpy and safe!!!!;) Kuddos to all of you who are able to jump in the coldness!!!
How the heck are ya Jim????

>Observation rides??

Naah. The best thing to do is find a free instructor, coach or organizer, and just tell him your story. "I'm new here, I don't have a lot of jumps, can you tell me about jumping here safely?" They'll probably have a lot of tips about exit order, Farmer McNastys, turbulence off the trees etc. They may just take you up for a 2-way or something to let you get familiar with the DZ.

Since you will be doing a recurrency jump the AFFI or Coach you will be jumping with should be able to get you oriented to the new DZ.
Ask them about the local procedures for loading the plane, jump run, spotting, exit seperation, the canopy traffic pattern and landing area, outs, how manifest works, where to buy beer, etc.

You might also ask them if there is an orginizer that takes on low timers.

Don't get in over your head!

Something I like to do when going to a new DZ is, first familarize myself with the landing area, aerial photo's etc. Bascilly everything that has already been mentioned here.

I also tell the person in manifest that this is my first time jumping there and ask if they know any of the regulars that may want to jump or someone that may be organizing. The manifester usually get's on the PA and calls a few people up for me to meet. Very quick and easy way to get to know a few of the locals.

Don't forget to take your logbook, stamped A-licence card, USPA member card, emergency contact info, reserve repack card if you're taking gear... and an extra 20.00 for the obligatory t-shirt. and, as was eventually mentioned, beer... very important, the beer...B|
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I KNOW!!!! I read it on the PMS web site!!! Oh, I'd love to come down there!!! I wanna pass the Barbie!!! I will be visiting friends at the New Orleans Skydiving Center that weekend. Can I take a rain check???

That's cool. Too bad you can't come, but it is always a good time to visit Florida you know!! I think the PMS are going to be in New Orleans end of February for the Mardi Gras boogie. Maybe you could go back again. I won't make it this year, maybe next:)

have fun & eat lots!! New Orleans is a great city!
Angela.

I visited a new drop zone back in July before I had an A-license. I was very upfront about my experience level. I received a very thorough orientation, was shown the various flight patterns and then watched a few loads. I had to make my first jump with a coach and he had me sit by the door the whole ride to altitude. He pointed out the airport, the outs and many things to look for in case I got turned around. It was really helpful and did wonders for my confidence under canopy.

Good Luck!

Come on down! There are two DZs in the New Orleans area - New Orleans Skydiving Center in Thibodaux, LA and Gold Coast Skydivers in Moss Point, MS. My advice for a visitor is to get with the DZO first and discuss what your goals are for the trip; i.e. do you want to just hang out and watch, go through a jump course, experienced and want to jump your buns off, etc? Then just smile, have fun and offer sexual favors to everyone (just kidding about the latter) :P Look forward to seeing you.

Oh - make sure you bring all your paperwork with you, if you have it - license, reserve card, etc...
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

Before doing a cold weather jump talk to an experienced instructor, if you are at X-Keys, Mark Kruse is from WI and can give you good advice.

If you have a full face helmet, the shield can frost up on you so you better have a plan for that and not let it panic you.

Mobility may be a problem if you bundle up, so put the rig on and get suspended (RT trainer) and review procedures.

Be careful with gloves, you need to have a comfortable (for you) level of feel of all of your handles and be able to use your steering toggles. Again, try things out on the ground, even if it means pulling your canopy out to try out the toggles with gloves on.

Cold can slow you down mentally and physically, so be prepared, allow time and altitude.

About altitude, don't go overboard on allowing a little extra. Poor circulation really shows its' effects under canopy in cold weather. Legs and feet get cold because of legs straps. Hands and arms get cold because you have them above your heart most of the time.

If there is any snow on the ground, things may look very different under canopy from what you may remember in the summer or fall. Make sure you can recognize the DZ from the air.

I live in WI and jumping in the winter can be fun, beautiful, and exhilirating...........just take a few common sense precautions to account for what is to you, a new environment.
alan

i've got 25 jumps and am from nyc too. up north too i mean. last fall i went to florida when i had 8 jumps. i called them first and told them my deal. they said come on down. i got there friday, got an overview of the dz, and within an hour was up in the air and out of the plane, with a coach . i got 12 jumps in over the weekend and everyone was very helpful . i think you'll love it. and i think you'll find quite a few people that go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

have fun there baby girl

people see me as a challenge to their balance

I can't believe no one has mentioned this. Bring a case of beer!! Get the good stuff. After the last load, walk through the DZ and pass them out to people packing or hanging around. It's a great way to make friends.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

make sure the Chief Instructor knows you havnt jumped there b4.

Get a brief on the DZ, preferably with an aerial photo. Dont be too arrogant to think that you are above asking questions to clarify situatuations, especially with DZ specific rules.

I would higly reccomend a H&P on your first lob to ensure you dont get bum spotted. Pull ASAP take in the view and learn some visual refrences.