KATO33

Could the tunnel survive

A venturi will compress the air. The compression should heat, not cool the air. However the exahaust when the air expands after being compressed would be cooler than the air in the middle of the venturi.

All depends where the venturi is relative to the chamber. I thought the newer tunnels suck rather than blow, putting the chamber on the decreasing pressure side of the equation. There must be someone out there who knows something about this rather than us two who are clearly whistling through our hats.

This may be a little off topic, but what is the word on the street about the construction of the NC tunnel?

PM Chris Talbert (TalbertGK4) and/or Paraclete Aero (ParacleteAero). PM me when you get an answer, will ya? I haven't talked to Chris about it in a month or so.

Edited to add: quoted text
Arrive Safely

John

All depends where the venturi is relative to the chamber

Yes, but the flight chamber is in the middle or just slightly above the middle of the venturi. The reason is that this is where the wind speed is the greatist.

I thought the newer tunnels suck rather than blow, putting the chamber on the decreasing pressure side of the equation

The new tunnel's are suckers (However there is one new design in TN that is a blower.http://www.bodyflight.net/aac_vertical_wind_tunnel_photo.html) It is supposed to be quite nice.

Either way the venturi does not care if it is getting air sucked through or pushed through.

But I still could be full of shit.;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

not so sure about this, Eloy gets a large number of grey haired visitors, many of them can be talked into doing tandems after a bit of conversation (i've helped a few make up their minds) many more could be talked into tunnel time after watching for a bit...

I bet its nothing compared to the volume of young studs and grey hairs that pass though I drive in Orlando.

i'm sure its not, but they are enroute somewhere usually and may stop on a whim. the blue hairs at eloy just come out and sit to watch everyone jump...something less risky ;) than skydiving right near by might tempt quite a few of them...

i'm sure its not, but they are enroute somewhere usually and may stop on a whim. the blue hairs at eloy just come out and sit to watch everyone jump...something less risky than skydiving right near by might tempt quite a few of them...

But I don't think enough to make it so the tunnel could survive.

Eloys best bet is to use Airspeed to hold tons of camps that keep it running.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

oh i dont think they'll have any problems keeping it running :)
but i'd be suprised if they dont get some significant interest from the tourists who come out to watch, but are to afraid to jump on their own...and it cant but help some who are iffy about making a tandem..

oh i dont think they'll have any problems keeping it running :)
but i'd be suprised if they dont get some significant interest from the tourists who come out to watch, but are to afraid to jump on their own...and it cant but help some who are iffy about making a tandem..

Dont know where I read or heard this, but I recall someone saying that B Burke's original though for the Eloy tunnel was for skydivers only. As I said, this may be way off...
Remster

Either way the venturi does not care if it is getting air sucked through or pushed through.

But I still could be full of shit.;)

1 - Nope - delta pressure doesn't care where the energy comes from

2 - As velocity goes up, static pressure goes down, and as pressure goes down Temp goes down. Seems minimal though in the case of a tunnel, I don't have a reference scale anymore handy to do the back of envelope and too lazy to look it up..... your Scuba tank is a much more dramatic example, also it's not a conservation of energy type expansion if I remember correctly, so a different mechanism. I'll check it first hand tomorrow B|:D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

1 - Nope - delta pressure doesn't care where the energy comes from

Ok so I got that right correct?

2 - As velocity goes up, static pressure goes down, and as pressure goes down Temp goes down. Seems minimal though in the case of a tunnel, I don't have a reference scale anymore handy to do the back of envelope and too lazy to look it up..... your Scuba tank is a much more dramatic example, also it's not a conservation of energy type expansion if I remember correctly, so a different mechanism. I'll check it first hand tomorrow

Ok here I'm lost....So it should get colder as the air is passes through the venturi not hotter?

Well I guess the air is not really compressed it just moves faster....So I really dont have a clue. We are past where Physics for Dummies goes.

Ok here I'm lost....So it should get colder as the air is passes through the venturi not hotter?

My understanding is that when compressed air is released, it cools. The contrary is that when air is compressed, it gets hotter.

Thus the flying chamber would be hotter then the ambient temperature, just outside the vents would be the coolest.

I could be wrong, tho...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

In a horizontal wind tunnel the air is coolest at the point of it's maximum velocity.. not sure about vertical wind tunnels however. As slight as it may seem, I believe that gravitational forces have an effect on Bournoulli's equation in this configuration, MESSING EVERYTHING UP, and causing a whole lot of fun.

I could be wrong though... it's been a while.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

>The current design of tunnel sucks in bad WX as well as skydiving does.

The Perris tunnel has a slat fence around the bottom of the tunnel. It rained last weekend and no one had any problems. However, when it's foggy the fog condenses on the diffuser and little drops of rain pelt people.

BTW you would indeed get a temperature change if you significantly changed the pressure in the tunnel, but the pressure change is so miniscule that it's not much of an issue.

I was just wondering if anyone knows or could speculate if a Wind tunnel could survive on skydivers alone

It really depends on the group of skydivers.
There are just some skydivers who are anti-tunnels.

In the right situation, I believe it could.
There is of course no reason to ever limit your potential customer base with only skydivers, but I think it can be done. I certainly wouldn't recommend it though..
:)

There are just some skydivers who are anti-tunnels

Just like there are tunnel rats that don't like skydiving

I'm sorry, I didn't see the question about "Could a DZ survive on tunnel flyers alone?"

I must've been mistaken, I though this thread was about Skydivers & VWTs...

Still a fact, I know several tunnel rats that hate skydivers and skydiving....Or just slam them as much as they can.

Still a fact, I know several tunnel rats

That's odd, I asked around.. and no one knows who you are..??!!??
Besides your a skydiver, how can you "know" people who hate you?

In fact I can only think of 1 of us who don't skydive, and they certainly don't hate skydivers (his mom & sister are both skydivers.. he also just took second place at the SkyVenture challenge with a bunch of skydivers)

and any more personal shots... please spare everyone else the drama..send a pm.

None of my friends know you either...So that means exactly nothing....Hell, I stopped by the tunnel last night. I asked around here at Zhills about you and no one knew you.

Besides your a skydiver, how can you "know" people who hate you?

I said that I know tunnel rats that hate skydiving....

From YOU:

..... and that's why I stick to vertical wind tunnels for my flying, no need to risk my life for a really awesome flight!!!!

Also from you:

Ok, Ron...
I made a final post hours ago when you switched to the "other" thread but since you keep coming at me, I have to respond.

I said: That's why I keep it [skydiving] to a minimum, always have a proper guide and get my flight time in the tunnel... much safer that way.

and any more personal shots... please spare everyone else the drama..send a pm.

You mean like

Just cause your little group of friends don't know me means nothing.

You stopped by the "tunnel"? Which one, we are involved with at least 9 in the states.

Tunnelrats are a very small group..if there is a group of another tunnel rats, I haven't heard about them.. besides I'm the only one on DZ.com with that in my sig line, so you MUST be talking to me.

I was simply verifying that no one in OUR group hates skydiving or skydivers.
Still don't understand what was wrong with my posts from months ago that you keep bringing up... still doesn't seem like an assault on skydiving.

My apologies to everyone else here for the thread drift... as you can see from my quote he posted, this is ongoing...:(

You stopped by the "tunnel"? Which one, we are involved with at least 9 in the states.

SkyVenture Orlando...The tunnel most on here think of when you say "Tunnel".

Tunnelrats are a very small group..if there is a group of another tunnel rats, I haven't heard about them.. besides I'm the only one on DZ.com with that in my sig line, so you MUST be talking to me.

Really???? WOW thats some ego. I know plenty of folks I would call tunnel rats. I do love how you have said you have to EARN being a tunnel rat....By whos standards? And you are tunnel rat #1???? I would give that title to many others....Oh like Thomas, Eliana just to name a few.

I was simply verifying that no one in OUR group hates skydiving or skydivers.

And you know ALL the "tunnel rats" in the world?

Still don't understand what was wrong with my posts from months ago that you keep bringing up... still doesn't seem like an assault on skydiving.

Well the simple thing is you said:

There are just some skydivers who are anti-tunnels.

And I said Just like there are tunnel rats that don't like skydiving

This quote form you seems to say you prefer tunnel to skydving:

..... and that's why I stick to vertical wind tunnels for my flying, no need to risk my life for a really awesome flight!!!!

But like I said I know of others....But you don't. I guess since you are Tunnel Rat#1 (BTW who gave you that title?) I guess I must be wrong.

What the hell would I know?