dsbbreck

When was the last time you got a raise as an Instructor

It just came to me that in the skydiving industry, there doesn't seem to be many raises when it comes to being an instructor. Just curious, when was the last time the standard instructor rate increased.

It seems to me that it's about $30 a jump around most of the country, and as far as I can tell, it's been about that for the past 5 years at least.

Do you as an instructor think it's about time that the industry raises the jump rate for instructors to at least meet the cost of living?
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

As far as I can tell most instructors are not employees, they are contractors. The industry only needs to rase rates when it finds itself without a supply of contractors willing to work for the current rates.

I think $30 is fair. Many DZ's pay far less. Few if any pay much more.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Do you as an instructor think it's about time that the industry raises the jump rate for instructors to at least meet the cost of living? ***

I think a lot is based on what DZ you work at.
People are only willing to pay so much for that first skydive, then, most DZ'S, hope the people will return for another ,then an AFP or AFF program, then become a weekend jumper....

All depends on how many student walk into your home DZ.

I think with the raised cost of running an airplane these days, keeping jump tickets the same price is impressive enough. I also think that if there was a raise in both instructor pay, and jump tickets, they would negate each other. The instructors pay for fun jumps too after all.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

i think in the UK the rate is about $80-90 a jump.

Than seems like quite a lot.

The only instructors I've heard of getting paid that much per jump here stateside, are Tandem Instructors with their own rigs. Could that be what you're talking about, or are jumps in the UK the equivalent of $400 each?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

So has your cost of living increased? You know I'm not talking about normal consumer inflation which is usually on the rise. I'm talking about something else. Or did your prices (as a member of the staff) stay the same?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I just read in another post that a DZ is raising the price of their jumps for a Memorial Fund. Maybe you can get the owners to start a Memorial Fund for the instructors that risk their lives every time they jump with a student. I say, take care of the staff, the staff that keeps the students in the air, and they (the instructors) will be good to you (the DZOs).
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I've been a scuba instructor since 1994 and I can tell you as a contract instructor (which seems to me what the skydive instructors are) you probably won't get a raise. Since 94, I was paid a certain amount per student depending on the level of certification. If ya'll are getting $30 per jump that sounds awesome. Imagine only getting $50 a student for about 25-30 hrs. worth of work! With only 8 students in a class that is $400.

I've decided to switch over to above sea level instead of below sea level. I am in the process of selling all of my excess scuba gear and will be starting my journey to the A license and possibly one day an instructor on May 5, my birthday!

So get ready Skydive Spaceland, I'll be visiting you soon!

Oh yea, this was on top of my regular full time job because there is no way you can make a living doing it, at least not with my tastes in hobbies.

Our DZ has raised the Tandem pay to $37 a jump, and the instructor has to pack, but the static line instructor's pay has not gone up from $10 a student since I started teaching over 25 years ago! The price of the class is 4 times what it used to be, though. I don't teach the FJC much anymore because of that, but enough other people do, so the marketplace decides the wages. :|

The only instructors I've heard of getting paid that much per jump here stateside, are Tandem Instructors with their own rigs.

Depends what you mean by instructor.

If I was an instructor I would expect to get:
£90 for a SL course ground training
£40 for being the 'duty instructor' for the day - ie refreshing students, giving briefs and dispatching SL students. Any other SL instructors who instruct that day are unlikely to get paid anything, but may get a free solo jump from it.
£40 (I think) for being a Tandem instructor.

As for AFF, the later levels seem to be about £115. Take off jump tickets, student gear and packing and that is about £70 for the jump.

If you are trying to make a living off AFF it is my hallucination that you would be very fortunate to clear $20,000.

The better money is in packing and Tandems when you look at things from a input/output point of view.

I do AFF because I like giving something back to the sport, when I REALLY need the MONEY I'll take Tandems all day long for $75 a toss.

"When you squeeze a sponge, only so much water will come out."

Chris Welker

I do AFF because I like giving something back to the sport

Me too . . . it serves to forward the sport and support many organizarions within. I also like to teach, which is more extensive in AFF vs. tandems.

when I REALLY need the MONEY I'll take Tandems all day long for $75 a toss

Do you own your own rig? I get paid $30 per tandem, $40 if I pack the rig. Using school owned equipment, that is.
Arrive Safely

John

Than seems like quite a lot.

The only instructors I've heard of getting paid that much per jump here stateside, are Tandem Instructors with their own rigs. Could that be what you're talking about, or are jumps in the UK the equivalent of $400 each?

At the moment tandems are £210 or $367.50 (using £1 to $1.75) at the weekend at the Langar DZ where I jump. Midweek is cheaper. I've heard of UK tandem instructors with their own rigs and also doing AFF earning £30-£40000 before tax pa ($52500-$70000 pa).

You know what? If they paid a decent wage there would be long line ups to do the job. Then they could pick and choose instructors and that would make the instructors in the job work harder knowing how easy they could be replaced.
Or, they could hire MORE instructors and not work their staff to death but provide a decent living with days off.
DZs continually mismanage money and the instructors get shorted becuase of it. If they can pay ME 30 bucks a jump for rig rental they should be able to pay themselves as well. 2000 tandems x 30 bucks is nearly 60 grand in profit just from rig rental.
Student gear as well. It goes at 30 bucks a jump.:S
DZs are always cryin poor but its bad management in MHO.
Dont even ask about all the free labor we're asked to provide at the DZ. I get paid to jump, but I'm supposed to empty garbage and build shit for free. Then, along comes a weekend warrior who gets paid exactly what I do who doesnt do any of the shit work.
That my friend, is BS.

Being a full time jumper is a lifestyle thing and not a job that will make you rich. After a great deal of pushing we got a rise after some 5 years of a few dollars a jump. I used to work for another dz every few weekends but choose not to go there at all now due to money being a more important factor than proper training and/or procedures. BSBD - Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"