skipro101

Open discussion on discipline effort choice

Just want to hear some options on doing freefly AND RW.

I really want to be a total body pilot and be able to fly at an intermediate level on both RW and FF.

Im just afraid of spreading myself too thin, and wake up one morning with 6 or 700 jumps and realizing that because i split my efforts on both disciplines, that I basicly suck at both.

yea yea yea, ask your local instructors yada yada yada.

I will, but im bored now and I dont keep any instructors at my house so id like to hear what yall think.

keep in mind that I want to be an AFF I.

later peeps.:)

Well I did nothing but rw for my first 100 or so jumps. After that its basically 50/50 with rw and ff. Although I'm much bettter at rw. I think its easier to learn quickly than ff. Of course if you stick with one you'll become much better faster but I don't think its that much of a trade off to do both if you're jumping frequently and not switching back and forth every single jump. But then again what do I know.....

I am the opposite.. 170'ish skydives, probably 130 FF (mostly poor attempts) and the rest RW. I think that my RW skills have been improving even while I have not flying on my belly. My last RW jump was WAY better than my previous one with about 30-40 FF jumps in between them (12 points versus 2 or 3). I don't think it works the other way though. Last weekend I went on a sit jump with someone who just got their 1000'th tandem (1000's of RW jumps) and... well I flew alot better in a sit than they did for sure.

Just food for thought....

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Yea, well, I just shelled out 276.00 to fix my truck that broke down on the way to the dz this afternoon.

There goes the RW suit money.

heh.

My sit is rock solid. I think im just going to maintain that and move to RW for a few hundred jumps. I want AFFI

:)

I started off thinking that I would move to Freefly after I became really good on my belly. Well, almost 300 jumps now & I still a LONG way to go - I've probably got about another 1,500 jumps or so on my belly until I need to worry about flying on my ass or head...
=========Shaun ==========

Im just afraid of spreading myself too thin, and wake up one morning with 6 or 700 jumps and realizing that because i split my efforts on both disciplines, that I basicly suck at both.

I'm one of those people who has awaken to find myself with 600+ jumps and numerous interests in the sport (freeflying, tracking, wingsuit, swooping, CRW, some belly, etc, etc, etc ... and of course there's the real darkside ...). And have realized that, yes I still suck. I just don't suck as much as I used to. And I have had the time of my life. So baring illness, injury or poverty, jumping can only get better from here on out for me.

A jump number is just that, a jump number. It shows experience, but it does not show talent (or lack thereof). Make skydiving interesting for yourself and it'll hopefully be something that you continue to do for a long time.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Just want to hear some options on doing freefly AND RW.

I really want to be a total body pilot and be able to fly at an intermediate level on both RW and FF.

yea yea yea, ask your local instructors yada yada yada.

I will, but im bored now and I dont keep any instructors at my house so id like to hear what yall think.

If you consider that every skydiving discipline can be seen as a set of lifesaving skills, it's all good.

Freefly is a marvelous skillset for an RW jumper to have up his sleeve. Whether tracking steeply to a big formation on your back so you keep your eyes forward, or being stable in the position in which you're thrown if a formation funnels, getting comfortable with all the elements of freeflying can only improve your abilities as a bellyflier.

Since a nice, stable belly to earth body position is conducive to good openings at pull time, being able to get into a solid RW position NOW is a skill that can only serve to make the next jump that much more likely for a freeflier. There are many positions that are just fine for freeflying, but having bellyflying kinesthetics wired can save your ass.

Then you have CRW. Whether it is simply bumping end cells or doing stacks and downplanes, I think low-time jumpers should take the time to fly canopies together with seasoned CRW dogs at the earliest possible opportunity.

A jumper who has done a lot of CRW and finds himself in formation with another canopy on short final may just yell "Hi, Tommy!" and land. The people who react by burying a toggle and impacting in the middle of a panic turn are usually those who have never flown in close proximity with another canopy.

Style? Learning to fly in an unstable body position is good for developing an intimate feel for your personal column of air and learning to use it to your benefit. Instability is the handmaiden of maneuverability, and a style series is all about riding the ragged edge of controllability.

Accuracy? When you have to land somewhere with no outs, being adept at accuracy means never having to say you're sorry. Just because your home DZ is somewhere without a tree within 100 miles doesn't mean you won't ever find yourself low over a place with only a few places where it's possible to land without injury. If you have shot accuracy repeatedly, you are more likely to be able to go into the mode and focus on doing what you have done so many times before. If all you know how to do is go for 100 meter turf-surfs, you're screwed.

If you have the opportunity to do something new, particularly if it is done with someone who is very good at it, by all means do so. You never know when you might need that extra skill that you added to your bag of tricks.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Just for interest, you may want to read the available USPA documentation on the pre-course requirements for AFF-I.
If they are similar to PASA guidelines, then the focus seems to be primarily on RW skills, including such pre-course requirements as "Minimum 50 RW jumps in the last 12 months" and "must have taught and jumped the complete ISP (RW coaching) twice in the last 6 months".

I would imagine that, in the practical realities of AFF instruction, freefly skills can be very useful aswell on an 'eventful' skydive, but do not seem to be a prerequisite.

I am basically in the same boat as you but I don't really care. I'm slowly getting better at RW and freeflying even though I'm "behind" some of my co-jumpers with fewer jumps than me. And it's fun. Probably the worst part is not being able to tell people what my intended "discipline" is.

But mixing it up means it's always new and different. And different disciplines can reinforce each other. (Already mentioned in the other posts; I feel the same.)

For me the part of each skydive that really makes it worthwhile is when I jump out of the plane. As long as I do that, it's a skydive and everything else is just details. (I do like to land in one piece, too. ;))

P.S. I hear tell that to be an AFF-I, the appropriate discipline is something like "fly like a bat possessed".

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

All I can do is offer you my thoughts on the way I progressed. I pretty much got my RW skills to the point where I can comfortably fly and have a lot of fun in any situation I'm likely to get myself into. Along the way I learned lots about my body and the effects of input at a slower speeds, more awareness in all sorts of different situations, canopy skills, and I picked up lots of stuff just being in the environment. It's fun to feel that comfortable in the air. Now I am going to concentrate on freeflying. So far my learning curve is much steeper as I'm building on skills already have. I have an appreciation of listening to input from more experienced freeflyers, I can switch back and hop on a belly jump without any issues and it's fun being humbled in the air again....well, it wasn't THAT much fun at first. But it's so cool when I hit major milestones like I did way back when.
I really like the way I've done it, but that's just me.

Rhonda

yea, when looked at from a simple "whatever is fun" attitude, I wouldnt mind being a jack of all disciplines and master of none.

But, I want to do AFFI. So I must be awesome on RW to do that.

anyways, Im going to focus on getting prep'd for camera flying. This gives me
A-an excuse for splitting my time between RW and FF

and

B- allows me to focus on being a "total body pilot".

going this route wont make me ready for AFFI at 500jumps, but thats ok. I have a goal (camera) and I will have fun getting there.

yeehaw.

ive made 50 jumps in the last 3 months...and im not slowing down.

I have set out these goals

GoalA-HAVE FUN
Goal1-250 jumps by december
goal2-USPAcoach course in december
goal3-start messing around with camera during the winter.
goal4-first paid camera jump by August2005.

or somethign lilke that :P

I'll try almost anything at least once - sit, head-down, belly, track, back-track, wingsuit, skysurfing, swoop, CRW, BASE. This evening I'll do my paracommander training so I can jump a round.

Some of it's mediocre (belly) or bad (head-down), some I haven't done enough of (CRW, have taken docks but not run anyone over) although after 9 years I'm still having lots of fun.

Some of the guys in my skydiving club have around the same number of jumps as I do. They have focused more on a specific discipline and have better skills in that discipline than I do.

I have been playing with Freeflying, RW, High Alti canopy flight and sometimes just stupid gimick jumps for fun (silly exits or spinning my buddy in the air,etc.)

I really just jump to have fun so I do whatever I feel like doing for that day. One day I might jump all FF and another all RW and another mix it up. Maybe it means it takes me longer to get any good. Frankly, I am fine with that. I just want to have fun. I do not want to get real serious about any of it right now.

Because of that if someone comes up to me and says "Hey lets see how many backflips we can do while holding onto each other." My first reaction is "Great Idea!" :D.

Got a few jumps like that. It's all about doing what you want to do in the air to have fun. Hey, it is a playground afterall, so play!B|